Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

New Flooring

I have a 2001 Fleetwood Discovery 38D. The original flooring is vinyl tile and carpet. I would like to put in ceramic or porcelain tile throughout. Will my floor stand up to this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnelke View Post
I have a 2001 Fleetwood Discovery 38D. The original flooring is vinyl tile and carpet. I would like to put in ceramic or porcelain tile throughout. Will my floor stand up to this?
I would suggest two things;
  • Post your questions over on the Fleetwood forum for opinions on chassis or weight concerns for your Discovery and the subject tiles.
  • Do some research on the use of ceramic or porcelain tile in an RV/MH.

I chose Vinyl tile after reading many posts of problems with other tile choices. YMMV
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm guessing that your sub floor should "hold up" just fine but you won't really know what you've got until you begin the demolition. You may well need to add sections of sub flooring and self leveling compounding to prepare a flat surface for the tile.

Although you didn't ask.... considering that ceramic tile can add hundreds of pounds of weight has led many folks here to use some of the new "luxury vinyl" tiles which are really very nice.

Best of luck and be aware of any special considerations you'll need to take into account to ensure that your slides don't scratch your new flooring when operated.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Don't do it. Your coach flexes too much. Luxury vinyl tile would be better and less weight.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Allure vinyl flooring comes in tile look and various woods.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #6

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your input. I had picked out Allure, but after kicking tires for a motor home with friends I really liked the tile flooring. I think the Allure might just be the way to go. Also thanks for the heads up on the rollers issue, I have heard stories of that too.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our Home Depot has 2"x2" Allure free samples. We picked several to consider at home. All of the samples appeared to be resistant to scratches but if you tilted the sample in direct light, they did show some minor scratches. The scratches on the [plain] "Oak" showed the least of our selected samples. They were on sale and I got free delivery so I bought 16 cases. Just waiting for a spell of 65 degree weather to install it.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #8

I have water damage to the OSB subfloor. Some will have to be replaced. A few small areas are soft and I was wondering if I could use the self leveling compound in a motorhome considering the flexing. And how thick can the applied compound be? Any help appreciated.

Herb
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #9

Herb- the leveling compound has to have a stable floor. If your floor is mushy- the compound will break. Can you post a couple of photos to show the damaged areas?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #10

Thanks, Ernie,

I have no idea how to post pictures to this forum.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #11

Herb- in the reply box- go advanced it the button to click
Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #12

I just AIN'T computer savvy. I have the pictures on an email but cannot access them via this forum. In any case I have ripped out a good 12 x 5 foot section of flooring by taking it clear to most cabinets/walls. All OSB and insulation board are gone. I think I can make this work. I just bought 24 foot 1.5 inch steel tubing and 64 sf of 1.5 inch rigid insulation. I have sprayed all wetted areas with a good mold killing solution although I do not see any mold. Sure smells good, though. Tomorrow I will weld new supports where the flooring meets the cabinets and other needed areas. Scared me to death taking it this far but I do believe it will come out well. Once complete I will try again to post before/after pictures.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #13

Herb, listen to Ernie - he is THE expert!

If I can persuade DW to let me head back west through Texas we will be visiting him!

I want mine redone in Engineered Bamboo!
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #14

Herb, I would disconnect your batteries when you weld. I'm no welder, but that is what a welder told me when he was working on my coach. Ernie