Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Manny- that is the false information I hear all the time. It is too bad, with all the coaches that folks love and want to keep and renovate them, these dealers don't have a clue how to think positively and do the research, like I have done to help folks out. ernie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkhlm View Post
New flooring looks great!

I noticed the two recliners you have, how do you like them? Do you know what brand they are?

We are looking to replace a couch with a pair something like them.

Thanks
Thank you! Our chairs came from Lambright Custom Chairs in Shipshewana, IN. There are many styles available.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #31

Ernie's the man !! Very nice.

I also have wood and tile ... and a broom ... the vacuum is when I get back to the storage facility. EEZY _ PEEZY !
Old 02-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
We have 2 GSDs...carpet is NOT an option for us. We are planning the reflooring for 2 reasons.

1. The grey, slate floor we have just seems dingy and uninviting. We knew it when we bought our MH but we could live with it if need be. From what I have seen, ERNIE , provides a great service at a great price so no need to just live with it.

2. The slate floor is VERY heavy at about 5# per square foot. A quick estimate indicates that we could remove nearly 300# off of the front axle removing it and replacing it with wood. Since we are running right at the maximum front axle weight...this is a big deal.
Don, does your drivers side front slide raise up when it comes in? We have thought of changing the carpet to wood, but would like to see how this would work with the raised slide so no one gets hurt on edge going to the back. Ernie, Maybe you could help with question. Have seen pics of other coaches you have done, and must say they have been beautiful.
Thanks.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #33

Any slide with wood stair nose has an outside corner. These are relatively sharp edges when retracted. Most folks put a pillow against those when travelling and that helps their ankles. There is no other way to accomplish a wood floored slide, that I know of.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
If the carpet is removed and engineered flooring is installed in it's place, shouldn't scratch the flooring correct ? I have also been seriously considering it. I did my entire home in Brazilian Cherry and swore I would never have carpet again.
coffeesnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Don, does your drivers side front slide raise up when it comes in? We have thought of changing the carpet to wood, but would like to see how this would work with the raised slide so no one gets hurt on edge going to the back. Ernie, Maybe you could help with question. Have seen pics of other coaches you have done, and must say they have been beautiful.
Thanks.
We are considering just replacing the old carpet in our big slide with carpet and keeping the carpet ring on the floor too. Our main reason is that we plan on removing the couch and replacing it with euro chairs. This would allow for the flush fitting and being able to pull the chairs out towards the center a bit without the "ledge" of a wood floored slide.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #36

scratches

Folks, any hard surface flooring material will scratch. Its the nature of the beast. When things move- people with a pebble imbedded in their tennis, slides, rollers, etc. The best thing and what we do, is have a rug just as you come in on the top landing. Also- I add a rug outside.
I have found that the engineered wood that is the handscraped variety, hides scratches better. I use some stain or old English scratch cover. 99% of the time, the scratches blend in.
With luxury vinyl tile or planks, or any of the floating floors, these scratches are hard to mask.
I have provided pieces of luxury planks to place under questionable areas of the slide. This helps raise the slide just a bit to help the slide come in.
Those folks with coaches that have the raised and elevated slides that totally rely on the arms under the coach don't have any worries.
I'm going to start a new thread on the tips I can give for carpet removal.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #37

Absolutely and excellent job, well done. Nice to see a craftsman do work to be proud of on every job !
Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #38

ernie, I have a 2000 bounder 39z that I'm removing carpet and going to put down hardwood . how do you get the carpet out from under the slideout? I have the slide all the way out ,but seems to be several inches of carpet under slide. thanks . bounder2000
Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #39

I usually cut the carpet about an inch from the slide. Then I use a small pry bar and start by captains chair and pry the carpet up. You can go outside and look at the rubber seal under the slide. pull that down and you can get at the edge of carpet there. I use a pair of channel locks for extra grip for my old hands
Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
I usually cut the carpet about an inch from the slide. Then I use a small pry bar and start by captains chair and pry the carpet up. You can go outside and look at the rubber seal under the slide. pull that down and you can get at the edge of carpet there. I use a pair of channel locks for extra grip for my old hands

Don't forget your hard hat
Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #41

tell me about hard hat
day before yesterday I was changing thermostats on my aqua hot. There is a shelf made out of steel when I have to reach in and work. tell me about hard hats~
Old 02-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourjourney View Post
Thank you! Our chairs came from Lambright Custom Chairs in Shipshewana, IN. There are many styles available.
I purchased my chairs at the factory.
Here is a link to Lambright Catalog.
Address: 1150 S 700 W
City: Topeka
State: IN
Zip: 46571
Phone: (260) 768-4820
Factory is in Topeka. About 10 miles south of Shipshewana.