Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Folks- floating floors- were designed for the do it yourself crowd that have some basic skills who believe they can tackle the job. Floating floors can be installed over boulders - well sort of. Minimal floor prep is required. The manufacturers geared themselves up full force during our depression to get their product out to keep their mills in production.
Professional grade, to me standards, NO. But- I'm just a cookie crumb in the cookie jar.
It's a good thing ... Florida slabs are not pretty ... and there are lots of them. Except for the ones that are now in sinkholes ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Not sure if it is appropriate to ask how much it cost to do the '05 Journey. We have an '04 Journey 39K so costs should be close for what I want to do with ours. It really looks good. Thanks
Second that a ball park would be nice. Maybe price per SQ FT

The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #73

I know that the Handscraped doesn't show scratches as bad but IMHO it looks almost warped.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #74

I installed Kronotec 12 mm laminate in our condo and love it. Looks great wears great but 12mm is too heavy for and rv.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #75

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
warped? laminate too heavy? seriously?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
I installed Kronotec 12 mm laminate in our condo and love it. Looks great wears great but 12mm is too heavy for and rv.
Just realized the Engineered Flooring weights as much or more than 12mm laminate. Adding 500-800 lbs to the MH may be a problem for us anyone else?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #77

Quote:
warped? laminate too heavy? seriously?
As I said it's just us but it doesn't look good to us. Love to do the MH but I guess I need to do the math on the weight. Being fultimers we are fairly loaded as is.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #78

The largest coach I have done was a 45 foot Monaco. The weight of removing the old ceramic, which weighs 5 pounds a square foot, and then adding engineered wood, which can weigh 1.5- 2 pounds a square foot, evenly distributed, would be like having an NFL player along for the ride.
if you are close to being overweight on your axles, something else is going on
Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #79

Our MH has carpet and vinyl flooring and I know from removing carpet from the condo it plus the embedded dirt and pad are heavy in itself. I may have jumped before reasoning and your right it probably wouldn't add that much. No more than an extra person or two, especially some of our friends LOL.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #80

Don't mean to question you. I know you are light years in experience ahead of me. Just posting some of our experiences and concerns.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
Just realized the Engineered Flooring weights as much or more than 12mm laminate. Adding 500-800 lbs to the MH may be a problem for us anyone else?
Thanks first to bruceisla for the links on weight.

OK...I'm like you and know Ernie is MUCH more experienced and maybe there might be some additional "stuff" laid down in the process besides the wood flooring. I'm not smart enough to know if my ceramic tile is the same thickness of wood replacement and might require something to "fix" that. But, ASSUME I don't need that, here is what I think I have figured out based on sampling of information I got from bruceisla.

First a very rough but I think conservative estimate for my current tile is about 132 sq ft. I have tile from the very front to the beginning of the bed room. My front axle is rated at 14,600# and we full time with 2 GSDs. Current load on the front axle is 14,320#. We just started full time so I expect some "mission creep". LOL However, seriously speaking, I am concerned about having to run 115 PSI to support that weight so I do want to improve that situation. Also, our slate tile floor is a tad too grey for my tastes and we hope to brighten things up with the new floor.

Roughly speaking, using a conservative 4.5# per sq ft my total tile weight is 594#. Using the heavier wood in the examples provided by bruceisla it comes out to 1.64# per sq ft or a total of 217#. I loose about 374# (an NFL Lineman) and a rough mathematical estimate is that at least 200# of that will come off of the front axle. Perhaps more. Of course, if I actually have more tile to remove (and/or it is closer to 5# per sq ft), I will lose even more weight. OTOH, I plan to replace carpet in the bedroom with wood and that should have a small weight gain but with our tag axle that is not even close to a problem...in fact, a little extra weight in the bedroom actually takes weight off of my front axle.

I can't speak for any other RV surfaces being removed since I don't have them but if one did have some kind of 1/8" linoleum it looks like it would run about 1.5# per sq ft plus the weight of any underlayment that MIGHT be there but I suspect that it could nearly be a wash in weight with engineered wood.

Then again...I could be wrong about that since I am kinda flooring stupid. Any correction to my ASSUMPTIONS is fine by me.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

Then again...I could be wrong about that since I am kinda flooring stupid. Any correction to my ASSUMPTIONS is fine by me.
You are very welcome!!

I think your guesstimates are pretty good. I never did the math on mine because I tossed a steel frame sofa, 2 steel frame swivel chairs at dining table, an old CRT TV up front, and a satellite dish ... and all the dirt impregnated carpet/padding. My top-of-head guess for mine would be a net LOSS of 300lb. I also tossed the Dometic reefer and put in a residential but that was almost the same weight (but I gained 3 cf of cold space).

And the wood flooring is ridiculously easy to keep clean !!

and I tossed my glass shower door/panels/frame ... probably another 30 lb.

In the interest of full disclosure, the weight savings has probably been neutralized due to beer storage ...
Old 02-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #83

In the interest of full disclosure, the weight savings has probably been neutralized due to beer storage ...
and box wine for me~
your calculations are pretty spot on.
the lightest floorcovering probably would be sheet vinyl. followed by luxury vinyl planks, then cork, then engineered wood. lastly, slate, ceramic, porcelain tile would be on the heavy end of the spectrum.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #84

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
and box wine for me~
your calculations are pretty spot on.
the lightest floorcovering probably would be sheet vinyl. followed by luxury vinyl planks, then cork, then engineered wood. lastly, slate, ceramic, porcelain tile would be on the heavy end of the spectrum.
So...what are the pros and cons of cork vs engineered wood?

Also, what is your favorite flooring to work with?