Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #85

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
We all know cork is a renewable resource. It is relatively light weight and absorbs sound. Down side, it is not listed on the Janka hardness scale which means it is a soft wood. I was at my wholesaler today. They had various colors of cork installed in the showroom. I noticed that some edges have raised and there are some chips on the surface. Brenda and I were at Stanford University Chapel a couple years ago, The entire area, which is large, was covered with 9x9 inch cork tiles. Those tiles looked great and probably original to the structure.
Engineered wood comes in various thickness and widths. When it is constructed with the tongue and groove method, it is my favorite to work with. The material is dimensionally stable, can be touched up when scratched. The tongue and groove method: those individual boards can be removed and replaced- but it is surgery and takes time. Engineered is all over the Janka scale in whatever style you wish and whatever hardness also. With the corresponding trim and you have a job that is professional looking and functional.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
In the interest of full disclosure, the weight savings has probably been neutralized due to beer storage ...
and box wine for me~
your calculations are pretty spot on.
the lightest floorcovering probably would be sheet vinyl. followed by luxury vinyl planks, then cork, then engineered wood. lastly, slate, ceramic, porcelain tile would be on the heavy end of the spectrum.
Ah yes ... a very efficient use of space

Old 03-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
In the interest of full disclosure, the weight savings has probably been neutralized due to beer storage ...
So if I remove all my flooring I increase my BCC (beer carrying capacity)? Hmmm, now there's a thought.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
So if I remove all my flooring I increase my BCC (beer carrying capacity)? Hmmm, now there's a thought.
Yes ... and if you use beer in lieu of water, another tank becomes available . The possibilities are endless ...
Old 03-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
Second that a ball park would be nice. Maybe price per SQ FT
Send Ernie a message and he will give you a rough estimate. His prices are much better than any company I looked at and he was very helpful with product selection. He has access to any type of floor you are looking for.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
only if you buy "Lite" beer- couldn't resist
Old 03-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Yes ... and if you use beer in lieu of water, another tank becomes available . The possibilities are endless ...
All goes to the grey tank anyway, right?
Is 'light beer' less weight or just less filling?
Ernie, may want to get with you this next fall, if winter ever leaves and talk about options on the bedroom floor in ours. Wouldn't be concerned with the slide that raises back there. Love the pics of your Bluebird.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #92

ernie, what type and brand of poly urethane glue do you use? liquid nails, gorilla, and how do you apply , method? thanks bounder2000
Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #93

I use straight urethane adhesive designated for wood floors. The trowel I use has fairly large notches. I use to spread the floor, but in our coachs' confined areas, found that buttering the back of each piece was far less messy.
There are many brand names. Henry, Dri-tac, Bostics. Don't go cheap on adhesive.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #94

whats your idea on using a flooring stapler and brad nailer like you would use in a house with wood subfloors? thanks again on what brands of adhesive you use.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourjourney View Post
Hi folks! Just wanted to show off our new engineered hardwood and carpet by Ernie Ekberg. He did a great job. I just sweep everyday and everything stays cleaner. The coach feels more insulated and solid. Ernie is a quality craftsman and we are very pleased.
That looks amazing! I just did my floors but can't figure out my slide part. What was used on your slide area to cover that gap but still allow it to roll in?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder2000 View Post
whats your idea on using a flooring stapler and brad nailer like you would use in a house with wood subfloors? thanks again on what brands of adhesive you use.
If you try and nail the new material you may get lucky in not having a stable not hit a piece of steel and immediately turn and come back thru the new material- or you may not be lucky. Then you have to tear out the plank and start over. Glue it and forget it.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #97

ernie, what type of moulding did you use on the edge of the slide out, and around the entrance stair well on the ourjourney job ?I have found some red oak stair nose that will match my engineered oak flooring, but I think it's going to be a little thicker than the flooring. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks bounder2000
Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #98

we used the stair nose trim that matches the flooring.
You can add a carpet shim to make a gentle slope to match the edge of the stair nose.