Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #1

New Flooring

We have a 2002 Rexhall Roseaire we would like to take the carpet out of and put in new flooring. I have read the discussions about flooring and feel even more confused now. How do we tell what type of slide we have and wether it has rollers or not? We were told it is a stage 2 slide but don't know what that means. What type of flooring is the best to put in? We need to do our stairwell also. Thanks for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #2

If it were me, I would call Rexhall customer service and ask to speak to a tech about your slide questions. Since you MH is not quite new you may or may not get the answers your looking for, but it's just a phone call, not exactly a big investment in time or expense. You might also do a search on Youtube for Motorhome floor replacement. There are lots of videos to look at there. You might find something helpful.

AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #3

Thanks, we already talked to Alec at Rexhall. He was the one who told us it was a stage 2 slide but that really didn't explain much to us. I think as soon as we find somewhere where we can tackle this project that the carpet will be coming out.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what stage 2 means either. It could be a reference to a flush floor slide, one that moves out (first stage?) and then drops down (stage 2?) to be flush with the main floor. Maybe call Alex back and ask more pointed questions about how it rides over the floor.

If the slide drops down flush with the main floor, you have to decide what to do about the slide floor covering if you do not use carpet. Flush slides have a carpet flap, but other types of flooring can't use that technique. Raised slides are easy to put new flooring on (use a molding on the edge if needed). Either type, however, can have rollers underneath, or flat glide pads, or even balance on the edge of the wall opening. If its a flush type, bring it in several inches and look underneath. If not flush, shine a flashlight underneath to get a look. You can also put thin paper or vinyl sheets on the floor in front of the slide and bring it in, watching to see where contact is made with the sheet you put down.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #5

It's not a flush side, so your answer makes sense to us. Now all we have to do is decide on a flooring type. Thankfully we don't have to deal with the hump in the front and the table is bolted to the side wall. So once we take the chairs out we wont have anything in the way to rip out the carpet and prepare for a new floor. We are going to leave the carpet on the slide out for now as you really can't see much of it with a couch and a euro chair on it. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Vezina View Post
Thanks, we already talked to Alec at Rexhall. He was the one who told us it was a stage 2 slide but that really didn't explain much to us. I think as soon as we find somewhere where we can tackle this project that the carpet will be coming out.
Dawn,

You are more than welcome to PM us we can answer your question.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

When I redid my floors (I stayed with carpet for LR and BR, the rest is ceramic tile), I had no problem pulling old carpet out from under the one raised-type slide, and slipping the new carpet under the edge and stapling it right along the front edge of the slide. The slide overlaps the main floor about 4" and rides high enough that dragging on the floor is not an issue. We did a friend's Holiday Rambler Endeavor was done the same, using vinyl plank flooring that we glued down. Yours may vary - different manufacturers do things slightly different ways.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't know about the Rexhall but what I did may help you. Check it out here:

http://flickr.com/photos/zzjea/sets

I used oak engineered flooring with several vinyl planks laid down when retracting the slide (we have skids on the bottom that would scratch the floor).

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #9

i think if you had rollers you would know and see the lines in the carpet

more then likely you have the lower cost slide with out rollers

slides that are not flush with floor most of the time have rollers
if it drops down to be flush with the floor it rids on the carpet

i am sure if we had a few inside pics of the RV some could see what type you have
Old 12-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Vezina View Post
We have a 2002 Rexhall Roseaire we would like to take the carpet out of and put in new flooring. I have read the discussions about flooring and feel even more confused now. How do we tell what type of slide we have and wether it has rollers or not? We were told it is a stage 2 slide but don't know what that means. What type of flooring is the best to put in? We need to do our stairwell also. Thanks for any help.

Hi Dawn I have a 2001 Rexhall Aerbus if it is like mine you have plastic sliders under the slide it just slides on the carpet I installed allure flooring in mine and just covered the plastic sliders with a thin carpet to slide on the floor. It has been 2 years and no issues hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the information, will try and post a picture of the slide
Old 12-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #12

[a[attach][attach]Attachment 8124281242
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	81242