Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #57

OK,
Everything EXCEPT for the drivers side slide is done. Here are a few pics. Note that there are shiny spots from the adhesive remover that hadn't dried yet. I am INCREDIBLY happy with the results. Drivers side slide NEXT weekend!.....

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	59066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	59067  

Name:	IMG_1963.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	59068  

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #58

One other item of note, I am seriously sore!

Chris

Old 03-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #59
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
From here it's absolutely beautiful.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #60

Akeyzoo. I am totally impressed. Execelent job, both on the work and finish on the floor , but also on the job of keeping us posted with the pictures and explainations. It allows me to dream that someday I can do my floor (I'll just supress the part about the 50 gazillion staples in my dreams for now.)

Keep up the good work and remember the mantra: Motrin, Motrin, Motrin.... (or Advil, or Alieve, your choice.)

I would also like to give a shoutout to Ernie Ekberg and the tips and suggestions he has provided. I have started a seperate document for my future reference titled "RV Flooring Tips from Ernie Ekberg". When I get around to doing my flooring this will be the basis for my 'flooring bible'.
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Nice job, Thanks for posting your progress, I'll probably start glueing my floor down next week, my demo (full tile floors) has been a little slow because I live in my coach. Did you spread the glue on the sub floor or back butter the planks? I think I remember our flooring guru (Ernie) say that he back butters. Listening to Ernie and guys like you posting there progress has taken a lot of the guess work out of it for me.....Bruce
Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #62

If you can pour it on the floor and spread, that is best. This Bostik was like pancake batter consistency. Getting it ONLY on the back of the plank and not every other surface in the coach (or out of coach, like the cushions on my patio furniture when I needed a break) is near impossible. Don't get me wrong, I back buttered some, but when I knew I had to back butter a few in a tight spot I just got out the construction adhesive. Other problem with back buttering is that you had more (99%) of a tendancy to get glue in the joint, which then came up through the seam. Don't worry though, the glue is nice and white so you HAVE to clean up the joint. I had about 5 joints that took a while to clean up because of this.

Ernie has been the BEST. Guidance and confidence sums it up best, he gave me both!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco kid View Post
Nice job, Thanks for posting your progress, I'll probably start glueing my floor down next week, my demo (full tile floors) has been a little slow because I live in my coach. Did you spread the glue on the sub floor or back butter the planks? I think I remember our flooring guru (Ernie) say that he back butters. Listening to Ernie and guys like you posting there progress has taken a lot of the guess work out of it for me.....Bruce
Old 03-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #63

Oh, one more tidbit. Buy extra trowels. When you reach the end of the day just throw out the one you were using that day. This aint thinset and by the end of a hard day dealing with this crap, the last thing you want to do is spend any time cleaning off a $10 tool. You need to save that energy cleaning your hands/face/hair/legs/back/floor/furniture.... ;-)

Chris
Old 03-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #64

Looks great.
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go Go Mr. Gadget

Holy cow man, is there NOTHING you are afraid of?

hey I have a question, can you shoot me some photos of the seat mount before you removed the floor bit. My captains chair leans to the right, and I'm wondering if there is a plate that could be bent or some way to shim it?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
That's a pretty kick ass job by the way, I'm coming to your house this weekend
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #67

Absolutely awesome job. Way to go.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #68

Jay,
Here are pics of the seat "mounts". What is shown on the floor is the frame that the seat mounts to. This is the mechanism that allows the seat to rotate. The drivers one has crap on it, don't look at it. The passenger one, you can see on the top plate that it has four holes the seat bolts too. The seat itself has four studs that go into those holes, you add nuts.

The seat mounts themselves are bolted through the floor with 4.5" 1/2" bolts. They have nylon lock nuts and under the coach there are some reinforcement u-channels they bolt through.

Take a look in your wheel wells from under car (crank wheel to side) and you can see the nuts. Make sure that looks ok.

Does the seat rock back and forth, or is it permanently crooked?

Hope this helps. If you need I can take some pics of the "mounts" or the bottom of the seats. Everything is still disassembled.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Go Go Mr. Gadget

Holy cow man, is there NOTHING you are afraid of?

hey I have a question, can you shoot me some photos of the seat mount before you removed the floor bit. My captains chair leans to the right, and I'm wondering if there is a plate that could be bent or some way to shim it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3D127047.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	59126  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've looked in the well, and everything there seems to be super tight. The seat does have some "play" to it, and leans fairly to the right. Seems like maybe somebody much heavier than me drove it for a long time, and leaned to that side to reach the pedal.

I've been curious about how to get the seat off of the frame. And personally, I would like to have some brand new seats as mine are just worn and flattened a bit. A lot of time we drive with a pillow more under one cheek than that other so our backs won't hurt.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #70

Removing the seats is easy. 4 nuts (1/2 or 9/16). You also have to pull the retainer clip for the seat rotation cable, and disconnect the cable from the bottom frame. Then unplug the power wires for the seat and viola.

Ya, I bet your seat is the culprit, it would take one heavy @$$ to bent that bottom frame. It is pretty beefy.

I bet an upholstery shop could repair/recusion and recover. Else maybe search aftermarket? My dad had a Recaro he added to his 18 wheeler that his cheeks adored!

As for the passenger seat, my wifey sure loves the power footrest, an aftermarket seat may not offer that.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I've looked in the well, and everything there seems to be super tight. The seat does have some "play" to it, and leans fairly to the right. Seems like maybe somebody much heavier than me drove it for a long time, and leaned to that side to reach the pedal.

I've been curious about how to get the seat off of the frame. And personally, I would like to have some brand new seats as mine are just worn and flattened a bit. A lot of time we drive with a pillow more under one cheek than that other so our backs won't hurt.