Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #1

New Ford Engine to replace the Triton V10

This will be interesting as Ford is rumored to be developing a 7.3 litre gasoline powered engine to replace the 6.8 litre V10. I think the code name is 'Godzilla' for the new engine.

Rumor has it that the 6.8 V10 will be discontinued.

Hopefully the new engine is a lot more powerful as new engines typically are. More power less fuel as a rule.

Great news!!!
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 12:17 AM   #2

Yes I have heard the same thing but it will be a V-8 and not a V-10.

However don't rush out and buy the 1st or 2nd year of any new motor cause we know they test the 1st years on the public to see its issues/breakdowns, its cheaper making us do the shake down test cause we pay them instead of paying employees to do the test for 2 years..

Just like everything else they finally get the V-10 almost perfect and they throw it away and give us something new and untested to break down and cause headaches all over again.

I am sticking with my old school V-10..

jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:24 AM   #3

The new motor will be here in 2020 and its a V-8 7.0 liter

Brian Maxim, a vice president at AutoForecast Solutions, said in a telephone interview with AutoNews that the “7.0-liter, V8 engine would have more torque and be more fuel efficient than the 6.8-liter V10 engine now built in Windsor and used in Ford’s super-duty trucks, such as its F-250s.”

Ford is primed to start offering the new 7.0L V8 in the Raptor in 2018 (as a 2020 model). We believe this was part of their strategy from day one; maximize the sales output of the initial Gen-2 production run, then offer a V8 option when the demand is high. Based on Ford’s recent model facelift campaigns, we also expect the 2020 Raptor to receive a facelift/refresh along with the new 10-speed transmission and 7.0L V8 motor option.

https://speedtwitch.com/report-2019-...dohc-v8-motor/
Old 12-11-2018, 02:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
The new motor will be here in 2020 and its a V-8 7.0 liter

Brian Maxim, a vice president at AutoForecast Solutions, said in a telephone interview with AutoNews that the “7.0-liter, V8 engine would have more torque and be more fuel efficient than the 6.8-liter V10 engine now built in Windsor and used in Ford’s super-duty trucks, such as its F-250s.”

Ford is primed to start offering the new 7.0L V8 in the Raptor in 2018 (as a 2020 model). We believe this was part of their strategy from day one; maximize the sales output of the initial Gen-2 production run, then offer a V8 option when the demand is high. Based on Ford’s recent model facelift campaigns, we also expect the 2020 Raptor to receive a facelift/refresh along with the new 10-speed transmission and 7.0L V8 motor option.

https://speedtwitch.com/report-2019-...dohc-v8-motor/

Very interesting. Ford is Also planning a F250 hybrid for the end of 2019. I guess there are more changes on the horizon for Gassers. as they say: Stay tuned.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't wait until GM or FCA gets back into the market. Ford has done some good improvements but they have no competition to really fix the piece of crap chassis. When GM dropped out, they were out selling FORD because they were better in every aspect.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #6

They said the 7.0 V-8 will have more torque than the V-10, I wonder if that's the 2 valve V10 or the 3 valve..
Old 12-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I can't wait until GM or FCA gets back into the market. Ford has done some good improvements but they have no competition to really fix the piece of crap chassis. When GM dropped out, they were out selling FORD because they were better in every aspect.
If GM gets back in than the chassis will be made in Mexico

Old 12-12-2018, 05:28 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I don't know. With GM letting 15K people go and shutting down plants, do you see them making a comeback in the near future in the area in question? I think their focus (for survival) is else where right now. What do you think?
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The V-10 is a great engine. Ford has a history of some pretty bad engines. Like anything good the have to replace it with something bad. They don’t make any money on a long lasting engine...All I can say is it better be good.
RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #10

Wondering why they didn’t pump up the displacement more like the Workhorse 8.1? Will be interesting to see the final torque/H.P. curves.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
Yes I have heard the same thing but it will be a V-8 and not a V-10.

However don't rush out and buy the 1st or 2nd year of any new motor cause we know they test the 1st years on the public to see its issues/breakdowns, its cheaper making us do the shake down test cause we pay them instead of paying employees to do the test for 2 years..

Just like everything else they finally get the V-10 almost perfect and they throw it away and give us something new and untested to break down and cause headaches all over again.

I am sticking with my old school V-10..
Totally agree. I love our V10, virtually bulletproof. Almost a 100K on it, doesn't burn a drop of oil, purrs like a kitten. I just did a plug change last summer, cost all of about $20 and a 1/2 day of my time. Best engine ever.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Wondering why they didn’t pump up the displacement more like the Workhorse 8.1? Will be interesting to see the final torque/H.P. curves.
You can get similar gains in HP and TQ without displacement these days. Remember, the 8.1 was based on the 7.4L 454 - pushrods and common cam. With dual overhead cams and VVT, you can tailor torque curves and fuel efficiency. Ford had pretty much matched the 8.1L with the 3-Valve 6.8L V-10, but at higher RPM due to shorter stroke. Don't get me wrong - I'd much rather have a honkin' 496 with its dual exhaust and deep rumble than my V-10, but the Fords been pretty dadgum reliable - albeit a bit thirsty.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
You can get similar gains in HP and TQ without displacement these days. Remember, the 8.1 was based on the 7.4L 454 - pushrods and common cam. With dual overhead cams and VVT, you can tailor torque curves and fuel efficiency. Ford had pretty much matched the 8.1L with the 3-Valve 6.8L V-10, but at higher RPM due to shorter stroke. Don't get me wrong - I'd much rather have a honkin' 496 with its dual exhaust and deep rumble than my V-10, but the Fords been pretty dadgum reliable - albeit a bit thirsty.
The difference in RPM with the 8.1 and the V-10 was about 100 RPM's in HP/Torque range.

I also owned a 8.1 motorhome and I like the V-10 over the 8.1 and they both need high RPM's in the hills and the MPG is not so great with the 8.1 or the V-10..
Old 12-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #14

I am thinking the new Ford 'Godzilla' engine will be a good engine. They can not afford to mess it up if they are planning on using that engine to power the F-250/350 trucks. One bad move there would cost 10's of billions in lost sales to Chevy and Ram.

I hope Ford puts more focus and $$$ toward their MH chassis since they are getting out of the car market.

Has anyone seen HP/Torque numbers on the new engine? I have not.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, engine, ford, replace, v10