Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #1

New Front Tires

I have a 2001 35' DP (Tiffin Phaeton) new to me. The tires are all 2008/2009.

I am planning a 10,000+ mile trip across Canada this summer & am considering replacing the front tires before the trip.

Looking for experienced advise.
RiverStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RiverStone,
You're going to get a bunch of different answers covering the entire spectrum of choices. Since the tire date codes remain within acceptable chronology limits I assume you are replacing the tires due to visual deficiencies, uneven wear or some other reason besides age.

For me, I purchase Michelin tires. They work well for my amount and type of driving (about 10K miles per year and almost all Interstate driving). A good price can be had via the FMCA Michelin Advantage program.

However, we are all different. If the normal amount of miles per year for you is considerably less, price may be a more important factor.

If you have no preconceived bias to a certain brand, any of the major brands will do just fine. Even the Korean imported tires have received good reviews. The tires from China have not received good reviews.

All this means you can balance the price point versus the overall value you expect from the tires. The bottom line is do what makes you comfortable allows you to sleep at night.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverStone View Post

I am planning a 10,000+ mile trip across Canada this summer & am considering replacing the front tires before the trip.

Just got a 2006 Country Coach with 17k on it but the tires had a build date 4-05 looked good but they are 8 years old. I also went through FMCA Michelin Advantage program and saved about $1200 295/80R 22.5, your tires are 5 years old getting close but still have time but if you want to sleep at night go for the front tires. Get a good tire gauge weigh your coach each axel and each corner when you are loaded and set the air pressure. Need to check pressure every morning or get a TPM to save the knees and air hose if needed. I have the Pressure Pro system taking them off my 5er and truck need to get 4 more senders for the toad.
Take 2 sets of fuel filters with you and have it serviced before you start because there is alot of open space in Canada, have a safe trip.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #4

The coach had 13,000 miles on it when I bought it a month ago. 15,000 miles now. All tires look good.

I'm only considering changing the front tires as insurance with a 13,000 mile trip coming up.
RiverStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

Sounds like the tires have been protected by the PO. Look closely around the bead area for any signs of cracking. Personally, I would run them if they have no uneven wear or a balance problem (look for wheel weights). The cost of two new tires will buy you a lot of fuel. I'm not suggesting that really old tires should be run but, if the tires have been properly maintained and the front end is straight and true 30 to 40k is a reasonable expectation. DOT rules for commercial vehicles states that steer tires must be removed at 4/32s and drive or trailer tires 2/32s. Take a look at a local UPS truck, they are recaps! BTW, lots of good info on previous posts regarding weight and pressure.

Another point just hit me. You may be able to get the dealer to buy your casings if they have never been patched or plugged. Last time I replaced my 11r22.5s I got $90 each.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverStone View Post

Just a thought. Would you be considering this if it were a trip to San Diego? From my experience Canada highways are pretty good. You could carry a spare if you are concerned about the availability of replacement tire.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't change a 2008 tire for that reason alone. You have both time and mileage left in them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most product failures occur in the first 30 days.

I'd trust a 15,000 mile tire sooner than a brand new one.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #9

the only reason to buy new tires would be because you want to make some tire company richer. 8yrs old is a safe period....some run even older tires (covering them while in storage helps), but 8yrs is when you should replace. Not half that!
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote