Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well....I guess no one here has stood next to a modern diesel in a pickup truck!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The engine is part of it. With a motor home you also have the generator. How much does upgrading from gas to diesel cost there?

Either way I'm not all that interested in moving from a naturally aspirated gas engine to a turbo boosted anything let alone also going to diesel.
Uhmmm, you seem to be forgetting the cost cutting route most entry-level diesel pushers take - LP Gas powered generators. And the cost difference? basically, none.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #31

Competition will only help the consumer, and will cause Ford to improve the F53. For instance, why should the consumer even have to perform the CHF on the F53?

Hopefully this is just a start, and FL will also introduce a larger 26K chassis later.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #32

I'd be happy if Ford would only change the 60s style butt ugly steering wheel
Old 12-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Looks like a good start but 19.5K GVW is not going to be nearly adequate for the majority of rigs currently on the market. Anything over 30' needs at least a 22K in order to have adequate CC unless there's a serious effort to get the weight down.
Have you noticed the trend lately? Even Winnebago is going toward smaller Class A entry level offerings to fulfil the newest and fastest growing segment. The 23' to 27' market seems to be pretty hot right now, the Thor A.C.E seems to be the leader, for now. Even smaller, the Thor Axis line is starting to pick up volume too. I looked at a Winnebago Via the other day. It is probably the smallest Diesel Class A unit currently in production. The M-B FRED platform was very nice. I know that they also make gas engines too, so how long before they have a VIA gas model out? The newest offering from WBI is the Intent - it only goes up to what, 31 feet?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Uhmmm, you seem to be forgetting the cost cutting route most entry-level diesel pushers take - LP Gas powered generators. And the cost difference? basically, none.
I'm not forgetting it. I consider a propane generator a sucker move for first time buyers who don't know better. I almost feel sorry for the folks who buy them then try running the generator while traveling so they run out of propane every few days. That would be on the small diesels with small propane tanks. Automatic no sale for us.

I also question the reliability slams. The Onan gas generators have been around for a long time. There number of units out there is huge. That leaves me wondering why people think we would not have as many or more help questions if all those gas units were diesel instead.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDALHB View Post
...As a previous owner of a '14 F53 chassis...Ford is the reason I now drive a DP....

AMEN!

How anyone can enjoy the bone-jarring, teeth-rattling, truck-like ride of that engine-screaming Ford chassis is beyond me. Been there and done that...once.

Never again.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:40 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No one is asking DP owners to want to consider this option.

And to restate...RV Business reports 4 gas motorhomes are sold for each Diesel, so there is a BIG market out there for an improved gas chassis. Or at least, everyone could celebrate competition in the segment like Diesel owners already enjoy.

We LOVE our gas RV...so affordable to drive and maintain.
And with a garage in the back end, a DP would never work for us.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:37 AM   #37

What I’ve noticed about the noise of gas engines under a load can be loud, especially when it down shifts to lower gears. But what I’ve also noticed is in my old Fleetwood storm the noise was so loud that I could barely maintain a conversation with my wife or listen to music. I’ve since upgraded to a Tiffin Allegro Open Road, with the same Ford engine, and the quality of the insulation and sound dampening made a HUGE difference. I can barely hear the engine running even under max load.
My point is all engines make noise but the lower end motorhomes aren’t as well built or insulated thus, the sound is transmitted through and into the passenger area.
DMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #38

Think I'll keep my workhorse - vortec 8.1 a while longer 🚆

Sent from my XT1585 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
rockymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
It is BIG news (if they actually come to market) because the gas chassis will always have a lower price point over the Diesel...and after a 7 year monopoly, Ford FINALLY has some competition.
I agree 1000%. The Ford F-53/59 chassis is actually assembled by Detroit Chassis, LLC, not Ford. http://www.detroitchassis.com/

In 2016 Detroit Chassis held a dog and pony show for Ford executives to show them what new upgrades that THEY, Detroit Chassis, had for the F-53 for 2016. This is backwards to me, Ford should be telling Detroit Chassis what changes will be made. The Detroit Chassis website refers to Ford as a "stakeholder". What? I thought that Ford was the owner, not just a stakeholder.

This makes me wonder, who is in charge of the F-53, Ford or Detroit Chassis, and who has control over quality control? Nice setup for Detroit Chassis, they assemble it yet the responsibility for it is Ford's and the Ford nameplate is put on it. Not much incentive for Detroit Chassis for quality control or upgrades.

Detroit Chassis told Ford that the only significant change from 2015 to 2016 would be the upgrade from a five speed to a six speed transmission. Big deal, the six speed had been out for many years and Allison had theirs for many years before that. There has been no innovation from Ford for the F-53.

In my mind, there should be no F-53 come out of the factory without a steering stabilizer, a rear trac bar and extended rear tire air valves. A Ford diesel engine option should be available. It's been in the pickups for quite a while, why not in the F-53? Why not an eight speed transmission? Why hasn't the gas tank been upgraded from 81 gallons to 100 gallons and placed mid ship instead of hanging out behind the rear axle. This alone would shift more weight toward the front axle, balance the load and improve stability.

Ford will not do anything with the F-53 because they have no competition. To me that spells disaster. Kudos to Freightliner, the industry has to have someone to challenge Ford, make them take ownership of the F-53 and the consumer will benefit.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Times 1000% too.

The Detriot Chassis -》Ford relationship has always struck me as odd too

Great post
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #41

What I would like to see them do is lower the frame rails, and get these things lower to the ground. There is no reason that these coaches have to sit so high off the ground.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
What I would like to see them do is lower the frame rails, and get these things lower to the ground. There is no reason that these coaches have to sit so high off the ground.

So lower frame rails mean less basement storage , less flat floor area & more opportunity to drag the tail on the ground if there's overhang
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, fccc, gas