Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
I spent my entire carrier repairing and maintaining diesels, when the time came for me to purchase a motorhome I wanted a relaxing experience with a coach that would require as little maintenance as possible, I don't need more than 5000 pounds of tow capacity but I did want a lot of the amenities of a diesel coach. I ended up purchasing a new 2015 holiday rambler vacationer gas unit that had the floor plan and all the amenities I wanted. I took delivery almost a year ago, I have over 17000 miles on it and have been all over the U.S. the coach has proven to be a great riding, comfortable coach with plenty of power to get the job done. I would make the purchase again.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #16

You said you will winter in Florida and you live up North. To me, this means you will need some space for your stuff since you are spending a decent amount of time away from home, and you want something comfortable to drive. It winds like a diesel would be better if you can afford the higher maintenance costs. The costs are higher because it is a diesel and because it is an older coach. I am not a fan of Thor products in general. Even if you purchased a gas unit, I would go with a quality manufacturer and get one a few years old. You need to make sure that whatever you purchase can safely pull your car. The hitch rating is not the only thing to look at - look at all the weight ratings.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:36 PM   #17

People are lamenting the maintenance costs of a diesel rig, and they are right that it does cost more to maintain, but think of the hit you're going to take the second you drive that new gasser off the lot. You'll probably lose more money on that first drive off the lot than you'll spend on maintenance costs for several years on the used DP.
The quality difference is immense between the two. With a diesel pusher, you won't hear any engine noise and can carry on a conversation like in your living room as opposed to listening to a whining engine next to you all day. And the coach will ride like a bus instead of a bobtail truck because that's the kind of suspension each will have.
I'd also recommend looking for better quality than a Thor.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:20 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
or less used (you probably meant really good used)
I did mean really good used pushers.Mind going faster than fingers syndrome
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #19

I wouldn't buy new just for "new". I own a gasser and I owned DP. I analyze things (probably to a fault).
I listed what I liked about the DP. Then listed all the features I though that were important to me. I had a budget and I was not going to go over that no matter what.
In the end the gasser won out. Mainly because the handling was important and the DP won in that category. But the gasser could be "fixed" to come close to the DP. That was good enough for me. CCC was not much of an issue because I am one person. I also knew what I am bringing with me and how much it weighed. The gasser was years ahead in the technology area. That was key to me. Cost of maintenance was also critical. I can do almost everything on my gasser. Not even close on the DP.
You own one now. Do that sort of analysis. Don't rush into it. Use the time to use your current rv, learn the pros and cons, then make a more informed decision.
Let us know what you decide.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #20

We went new gas. We just like new. But probably more important for me was I know gas and never had a diesel engine of any kind. Diesels also cost a lot more to maintain. For DW, new had great looking interiors that at the time used diesels didn't yet have. That may still be true if you are looking at 6-10 YO DPs.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #21

People seem to make the mistake of thinking DPs are always a step up. If I had purchased a better gas Class A instead of the 2014 Excursion we had I might have been happy with it. But the ride was awful, there were constant (minor) things breaking that had to go back for warranty fixes and in the end we realized the floor plan was not so hot.

Our Discovery is a completely different story. It was about a year old when we bought it with 11k miles. It's a dream to drive (once I got the front end aligned properly and had the crummy Goodyears shaved) and the bunk configuration and bedroom are great for us.

It's not perfect, there would be some things I'd like such as better bedroom windows and a slightly larger shower. The fuel mileage is a bit lower than I'd have hoped for (avg around 7.5 using the generator a lot), but fuel cost is probably the least of my concerns.

Several gas fans on this thread, so you know some people like them. We just had a new gas Thor next to us and it seemed like a really nice rig. It was a rental, so you might be able to rent a similar one for a weekend to give it a check out.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #22

On this forum, you will get all kinds of opinions based on each person's priorities. Not necessarily the same as yours. I could give you a good argument for new or used gas or diesel. What are your priorities? I didn't want the possibility of buying someone else's problems, so my last six coaches have been new. Each one was a step up from the previous one. I picked a great dealer that does a thorough PDI, so have had very few minor issues over the last 15 years. My only expense is an annual oil and filter change including lube etc. Cost about $400. Less if I were to do it myself. In four years, I will replace the tires. I would rather accept the depreciation and have a motorhome that I trust and can rely on. Maybe a used one can do the same, maybe not, but that's just my priority. What's your's??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I wouldn't buy new just for "new". I own a gasser and I owned DP. I analyze things (probably to a fault).
I listed what I liked about the DP. Then listed all the features I though that were important to me. I had a budget and I was not going to go over that no matter what.
In the end the gasser won out. Mainly because the handling was important and the DP won in that category. But the gasser could be "fixed" to come close to the DP. That was good enough for me. CCC was not much of an issue because I am one person. I also knew what I am bringing with me and how much it weighed. The gasser was years ahead in the technology area. That was key to me. Cost of maintenance was also critical. I can do almost everything on my gasser. Not even close on the DP.
You own one now. Do that sort of analysis. Don't rush into it. Use the time to use your current rv, learn the pros and cons, then make a more informed decision.
Let us know what you decide.
Thanks Computerguy, Well said and comes from a little different direction than what you generally see. Everyone says that the floor plan is king and I agree with that. But so is factoring in as you said "I listed what I liked about the DP. Then listed all the features I though that were important to me. I had a budget and I was not going to go over that no matter what.
In the end the gasser won out. " Well said!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
I came across this article that had the engineers at Fleetwood arguing over gas vs diesel MHs. It's a good summery for those who have questions. The part describing maintenance differences highlighted decision points that drew us to a gasser rather than a diesel. We spent about $1800 upgrading our new F-53 to improve the handling/ride and the performance. We're very happy with our choice.

Here is a link to the article:

RV Smackdown - Diesel vs Gas

The question of buying new vs used comes down to this: Are you buying someone else's problems or are you buying a MH with all the problems fixed?

Happy camping

Dave
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #25

if getting a new gas id look into the newmar canyon star or the Tiffin allegro Open road, no other Gas Class A's come close to the quality of those two, also id plan ahead of time to get some Sumo springs and get better shocks and better front/rear sway control added, also look into 5 star tuning, its not that the F53 chassis is bad, its just most manufacturers get the smallest one that's bare bones, Newmar orders all their f53's for the Canyon Star with Fords factory upgrades (better springs and axles and longer wheelbase ) now days.

Tiffin gives you the option to have Sumo springs added at the factory these are all things that make your F53 motorhome chassis perform better and your trips more enjoyable, 90% of all other Gas model motorhomes manufactured today have the shorter wheel bases and missing most of these "safety and comfort" features so they can keep the prices down, they sell more units based on the outside tv than they do based on the heavier duty springs and shocks.
And remember while all these "extras" will make the F53 drive and handle much better it wont compare to a good DP with air ride. and be aware not all DP's have air ride suspensions most of the entry level DP's are no different than the gas Class A's other than better torque on the engine.
covfam73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:46 AM   #26

FWIW a key reason why floor plan matters is that there are only a couple of chassis choices. Once you find a floor plan you can live with then it's a matter of picking a chassis or builder.

The one thing I will point out with gas chassis is how they are modified. Newmar tends to cut down a heavier chassis. Some folks build in a stock chassis and some extend a lower rated chassis. Read the specs for weight and wheel base.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Seven months of exhaustive research, trips to numerous dealers, factory tours - all roads pointed to a new 30 - 35' gasser. That is, until I finally got around to driving a DP. I as many others, read many many posts on this forum, and I know the passion for both perspectives; I don't suffer from that problem or bias. This is a huge long term investment for us, and we don't ever want to second guess our decision.

It depends on what you want to do - yes, yes, floorplan, chassis, etc, but what is your priority, traveling itself or the destination? If all you really care about is going somewhere to enjoy that destination, then it really doesn't matter at all, choose on floorplan, then price. In our case, we want to TRAVEL - I mean put on the miles and go where ever we can dream (on land that is connected to where we are now anyway ). And, since we are in our mid fifties approaching retirement, we want to only buy one coach that will last at least ten years, while also retaining substantial resale value.

If you are at all like us, a DP makes a lot more sense. We were able to get a 5 year old DP with 36k miles in pristine condition for less than the Newmar Bay Star we were ready to pull the trigger on. Ok, we got lucky - so far. Will we run into problems? Maybe. Will the DP cost more to maintain? Yes. Do we love it? Absolutely! It is a joy to drive compared to the NEW gassers (and yes, also with the F53 6-speed tranny), my wife loves being at the wheel of this thing.

Final word of advice: If you whittle down your choices to a new gasser and find something you love - go get it and enjoy it; just DON'T drive a DP afterwords!
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AHHHHH the age old battle....... I bought a New 2016 Gasser, I love my coach. I do not full time and wont for many more years. Cost and newer electronics where key for me as well as having a living set up i did not have to have my head turned 90 degrees to see my TV from the dinette or couch. Is that the same priorities as you? probably not so you have to weight you needs for a RV and find the best you can for your price point. Price was a very large factor for me and while i might have been able to get a used DP for the same price i paid for my new Gas, no way it would have had even close to the electronics and amenities my gas coach has. So for me i am happy, and we use our coach every chance we get.

You have to list your needs and find what you are comfortable in... GOOD LUCK
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas