Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced all my chassis and house batteries with Lifeline AGM and couldn't be happier no corrosion no maintenance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #16

For me is not even cost/benefit-its just raw dollars. I have lost so many RV batteries to a lack of charge, overcharging by cheap converters, etc. But I have to stick with lead-acid due to current flow (current income, that is!)
If I had my way.......
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Not disagreeing on the benefits of AGM's but at $300 ea, I can buy 3.6 GC2 batteries at Costco. So are the AGM's somehow more than 3 times better? Not objectively, but subjectively,? Now, how am I going to use that .6 battery?
With ours and the inverter/converter in the same compartment and whether sealed off and vented or not, I don't like having wet cells, besides the maintenance extras. I hope to better justify the cost with having them replaced before the 60 month full replacement warranty is up.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:54 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Wink

Thank you for all the helpful responses!

I emailed LifeLine, and they referred me to a dealer close by and since I needed 8 Batteries, he made me a deal for $232 for the 8 and $89 for the 3 new Chassis Batteries. chassis are the 10" x 7" by 9" high

I didn't want to figure out the total cost, because I can't count that high.

He said I can go with maintenance free regular batteries, Not AGM's for the chassis...

Also, said I would have to change something on my inverter. I didn't get that far but wondered if it's an actual switch on the inverter or a setting in the software...I mean I really don't even know if there is software... Still need to get the manual out and figure it out.

So I also have 2 1/4 turn switches in the battery bay. I haven't got to the manual yet, but does anyone know what the top one is and the bottom one does? I know they are supposed to stop parasitic loss, but im not sure what each one does...
Ocean Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
Don't know. I do know that AGMs can take more amps during charging so they bulk charge faster...assuming your charger can deliver more amps. They are also maintenance free. They can also be mounted on their side.

But maybe you knew that and are just making a point. I have a hard time swallowing the price of AGM. I'm not sure they have enough advantages over wet cells, especially with the price of lithium coming down.
For most of us the issue is that the only advantage of AGM's is that we don't have to check the water. After that it's just pouring in more money.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:40 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AGM for Coach, maintenance free for Chassis

Use AGMs for your Coach batteries. The advantages far outweigh the cost differential. Don't spend money for AGMs for your Chassis though. You Coach batteries are deep cycle and see a lot of charge-discharge cycles. Your Chassis (starter) batteries perform a very different role - short, high current demand with minimal discharge. Go with maintenance free wet cell chassis batteries. Interstate is a great choice.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Your Monaco looks new enough to have a modern controller for the inverter. Read the manual and it will tell you how to change settings to AGM. Some controllers (Magnum Energy) have a setting for two types of AGM so make sure you get the right one. Also make sure that you don't have the auto equalize setting turned on. All the settings I have seen are software driven, no switches involved.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Don't know. I do know that AGMs can take more amps during charging so they bulk charge faster...assuming your charger can deliver more amps. They are also maintenance free. They can also be mounted on their side.

But maybe you knew that and are just making a point. I have a hard time swallowing the price of AGM. I'm not sure they have enough advantages over wet cells, especially with the price of lithium coming down.
Deep cycle RV/Marine AGM size:group 34 at Sams Club $120 each (link below). Doesn't seem too high to me if they last a year or two longer and you dont have to mess with checking/filling cells. Does Costco or other big box/discount stores have similar? Post here if they do to make this string a good shopping resource.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...lp:product:1:2

Disclaimer: I havent tried AGM deep cycle batteries, but have purchased vehicle starting AGM batteries for at least 15 years. I dont have statistics on how long they last, only my own anecdotal experience with them.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #23

Both Rolls and Trojan now sell true "deep cycle" AGM batteries.

AGM batteries require different charging voltage than flooded so make sore your charger can handle that.
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Those two switches are the battery disconnects for the house and for the chassis. Your inverter remote you can scroll through the settings to set the charger for the battery type you use. There is a AGM setting if you end up going that route.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Be aware. Even if you turn those two switches off there will still parasitic draw on the batteries from some components.
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post
Deep cycle RV/Marine AGM size:group 34 at Sams Club $120 each (link below). Doesn't seem too high to me if they last a year or two longer and you dont have to mess with checking/filling cells. Does Costco or other big box/discount stores have similar? Post here if they do to make this string a good shopping resource.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...lp:product:1:2

Disclaimer: I havent tried AGM deep cycle batteries, but have purchased vehicle starting AGM batteries for at least 15 years. I dont have statistics on how long they last, only my own anecdotal experience with them.
Those are 55 amp hour batteries. To match the amp hours of four 6V AGM batteries, you'd need eight of those. And the batteries you list aren't true deep cycle either.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #27

I am considering replacing my 8 house batteries with Lifeline. My battery's are the cheapest the dealer could buy and be able to say you have 10 new batteries 2 Chassis & 8 house. They are CG115 ProStart which are about 3 years old but still working. But my question is should I also replace the cables & connecters because of the corrosion and age of the cable (13) years? I plan to setup the rig with solar panels and controller after I recover financially. The new batteries & cables to be replaced first but trying to put some $$$ in the bank ahead of time. Don't want to induce The corrosion to the new batteries when I do replace them!
Old 07-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Those are 55 amp hour batteries. To match the amp hours of four 6V AGM batteries, you'd need eight of those. And the batteries you list aren't true deep cycle either.
Yes. I posted too quick after researching only price. I would only consider the Group 31 AGM for RV house batteries. I dont know how they compare to the other AGM's recommended here. Perhaps someone can add their specs.
Sams Club
-Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery (Group Size 31)
Price (7/8/2017)-$179.82
1 amp hour rate-68.2
3 amp hour rate-85
5 amp hour rate-86
6 amp hour rate-87.4
8 amp hour rate-90
20 amp hour rate-105
100 amp hour rate-110
Battery Electrolyte Composition-Glass Mat
Battery End Type-Top Post
Battery Purpose-Starting Lighting Instrumentation
BCI Group Size-31