Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
How steep of a drive can we climb with our motor home. The rear overhang is short, that isn't the concern. We would have to start at the bottom of the drive at a crawl, the steep part of the drive is probably 200 feet long. I'm concerned about the transmission (torque converter). We have an ISC with a MD 3060.

Ignore the Workhorse avatar, I made a mistake and can't change it from the I phone. We have a Peak Chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do you normally get up this incline?

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Oops, I should say we are looking at this home to purchase.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forget the motorhome. Is it that bad that emergency vehicles will not be able to make it up? How about your personal vehicles. Is the house in a area that receives snow ?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
It is not so steep a car, truck, even emergency vehicle could not get up. I'm just looking for a % grade figure if someone knows. If we purchase the home we will be negotiating the drive with the MH frequently....possibly 3 times a month. Long term effects of the climb.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty
It is not so steep a car, truck, even emergency vehicle could not get up. I'm just looking for a % grade figure if someone knows. If we purchase the home we will be negotiating the drive with the MH frequently....possibly 3 times a month. Long term effects of the climb.

Why don't you just try to drive up it in the MH? If it makes it up, you're good. I don't think you are going to break it trying it.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tom and Patty,
My signature coach has a Cummins ISC 330 HP and 950 ft lbs of torque. The steepest grade I've been up with, the coach, was a 12% grade (per the sign). The coach was towing my 5100 lb toad. The grade did not allow for a run up of speed. It was relatively straight and about 1/2 mile in length. I went slowly at first. The ISC would do more than I would allow. I could have gone faster. Except for the initial start, I was in 2nd gear all the way. Coach and toad weight is about 37K lbs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #8

I can't imagine such a steep grade that you won't be able to negotiate it from a standing 'stop' position. You will be in 1st gear negotiating the climb. If you don't have a rear overhang problem, I am confident the gearing in your coach can negotiate any climb (within reason - if it's an existing driveway and trucks and cars can negotiate it, so can your MH).

I visit my brother often in PA in my coach, and his driveway is at points probably 8-9% climb. 1st gear can handle it just fine (his driveway is paved). I just 'toot' the air horns, and away I go!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #9

Just be sure you can turn rig around at the top to prevent having to back down. Backing up would give you more power (lower gear) however some trannys overheat when backing . Another item is the slope of the driveway versus the roadway to prevent being hung up on the frame
Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #10

I have a 20% grade on my driveway, and it is over 200 feet long. The last 3 coaches I've had made it up without any problem. They were a 30 foot gasser, a 37 diesel pusher and a 40 foot diesel pusher. When we built the house, the local fire department came and drove up just to see if they could make it, and also to make sure that they could turn around at the top.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks everyone. 20% sounds fairly steep, I will see if the present owner knows to grade before I get out sticks and a tape.
I will drive up it if we are serious about it.

Backing DOWN, now that would be fun.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I have a 2000 Winnebago 35' weighing about 18,000 lbs. V10 Gas. I live on a steep hill with an inclined street and an even steeper driveway. I have no problem chugging up into my pad.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post

I visit my brother often in PA in my coach, and his driveway is at points probably 8-9% climb. 1st gear can handle it just fine (his driveway is paved). I just 'toot' the air horns, and away I go!
I just talked to my brother today, and he thinks the lower portion of his driveway, which I negotiate in my coach (and he has a Class C as well), is probably somewhere in the 10-15% grade range. No problems.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote