Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #1

New House Batteries

I need to replace the 2 interstate deep cycle batteries.
They no longer take a charge. What should I replace with and how difficult
is it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Look in your owner's manual ... if you're lucky, it will tell you what class of battery you need. Armed with that - it's just a matter of calling around to find the best deal available to you.

If your existing batteries are the BIG Interstate (UL16 series ... which are roughly 17" high) ... be aware that they are NOT the same as the Interstate GC2 battery that is currently only 6V battery that shows up as an RV battery on the Interstate web site. The GC2 batteries are pretty easy to find ... the UL16 series require a little more digging! (I'm in the middle of replacing mine at the moment as well).

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #3

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Get AGM batteries. The glass mats take a deeper charge and require zero maintenance. Lack of maintenance kills more batteries than poor design.

Interstate sells them as does many other manufacturers.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:41 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb42 View Post
is it?
If you have a Costco in your area check with them. In my area they sell the Interstate GC-2 6V batteries for $85.95. I recently bought six of them to increase my house batteries from two to six.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Get AGM batteries. The glass mats take a deeper charge and require zero maintenance. Lack of maintenance kills more batteries than poor design.

Interstate sells them as does many other manufacturers.
Agree. I bit more expensive, but worth it. Put them in and forget them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Not difficult if replacing with the same size & type, but take a picture so you know which wire goes where. You would be amazed at the frequency of people saying I forgot what wire goes where...". Or messing it up because they guessed (wrong).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb42 View Post

is it?

Do you have two 12 volt batteries connected in parallel OR two 6 volt batteries connected in series?

If you go the 6 volt route, these are a popular and cost effective choice from Sam's Club.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444258254.401402.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	109018
Old 10-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Put them in and forget them.
But if your charger is not set for the correct charging regime, you might not be forgetting them for as long as you hoped.

If you are happy with the life you got out of the previous batteries then there might be no good reason for going with a more expensive alternative.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #9

There are two choices.

Replace

Upgrade

If the old ones provided a good level of service for a good amount of time then there may be no reason to change to something else, so REPLACE.

If they never worked as you needed then MAYBE and upgrade is in order, but before spending a dime on upgrade you have a ton of homework to do as the charging system is critical to the battery plant and your loads determine battery need.

A lot of folks just toss in an expensive battery thinking it will do a certain thing only to be disappointed as it fails to meet their expectations.

Search battery design and troubleshooting for about a weeks worth of reading.

If you are just replacing it is simple, take photos of the batteries including but not limited to these.

First get a black sharpie and a roll of masking tape and label each wire.

Number the batteries in any order that you wish.

Locate and observe the positive and negative posts on each battery, just make sure that you can correctly identify which one is which.

Label each and every wire like this.

Wrap tape onto wire and make a flag with tape.

Use an easy format for identification, you have batteries numbered and can identify posts, so if a wire is on battery 1 positive post, label it B1-P(n) where n is the wire number, it seems redundant but if you have 3 wires this allows you to confirm your count.

Top view including all wires brackets and other items, maybe about 6 inches to all sides.

Full frame of each LABEL and confirm you can read them.

Full frame if each battery including both posts.

Full frame of each post showing the wire labels you applied.

Now with the photo of the label or a good look get the Battery manufacturer and model, Duracell GC2 is an example.

Next count total wires on each post and make a note for later when you install new ones to be certain a wire did not slip behind them.

Now call the local battery dealers to confirm price and capacity in amp hours as not all of same model are the same, get the highest amp hour capacity at the best price.

Changing is easy, one battery at a time, and remove ground first and positive last.

Do use a reaming type of cleaner to prep your cables and add grease as assembled.

Search battery replacement or service for lots more detail there.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #10

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I had AGM on my diesel pusher. Lasted for years and years until the coach got hit by lightening. I believe that all inverter/converters on modern RVs are three stage and can manage the batteries very well unattended -- if you leave the coach plugged in.

If you put it in storage with a parasitic drain and do not activate a battery disconnect, you may find that you have KILLED a perfectly good battery. My Newmar (current coach) has a battery disconnect, suspect yours does too.

Tags
batteries, house batteries