Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
New house batteries dead in 24 hours, why?

I have a 2005 American Tradition and I installed 4 new 6 volt house batteries a week ago today. Batteries were fully charger and started the generator with out problem. We left yesterday for a 60 mile trip to a campground. Hooked up the 50 amp service and everything seemed to be OK, Now 24 hours later the CO2 sensor went off because of LOW VOLTAGE. I just checked the shore power and I'm reading 50 Amps/123 volts coming into the coach. I checked the inverter/charger and the small green lite was blinking once every 3-4 seconds, but the DC lights are very dim and there's not enough juice to start the Generator. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

cwcathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
Sounds like the charger is not working properly. I am assuming the charger is part of the inverter. The inverter my by bad and In needed of repair or replacement.

This will cause the 12 volt systems including the inverter to drain the batteries.

Use an external battery charger for now and have the inverter checked.

Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
Here is what I would check.

1. what does "small green lite was blinking once every 3-4 seconds" mean in relation to operation of inverter charger

2. check to see that new batteries are electrically connected properly and tightly at terminals

3. check for 120 v ac coming into charger

4. check for approx 13-14 v dc leaving charger

Knowing exactly which make model charger would help, after letting the group know your findings. All the best.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
Can you post a picture of the battery wiring and hookups?

Was everything working prior to replacing the batteries?

What brand inverter /charger?
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
I would re- verify that the batteries are wired correctly.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Try to live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Winepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
I'm parked in a campground near Gettysburg, PA and it's 2200hrs. I take pictures tomorrow and do the recommend checks. Actually the house batteries died on the trip from Lazydays to Maryland, but I never pursued it at that time.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
2005 American Tradition battries - wiring.pdf

Let me know if the wiring diagram came through.

Charlie Catherman
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Linthicum, MD
Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Not sure which converter/inverter you have, however when our Xantrex showed flashing lights, I cycled the unit thru the set-up steps, and the unit came back on line.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my Magnum inverter remote panel, a flashing green light means standby.

The very first thing to do is meassure the house battery voltage while on shore power.
Should be 13.8 or more to indicate charging.
A fully charged battery will be 12.7v.
Check these items first instead of just guess in g.

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:06 PM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just out of curiosity does your control panel on your inverter/charger have a switch to turn charge on ?

Could be something so simple as you do not have charge mode selected.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First, your batteries are not (or should not) be supplying 12v to the coachr while plugged to shore power. The inverter/charger should be supplying that as long as it has 120v shore power available. Make sure the 120v input breaker for the inverter is on. Also check your inverter manual and verify what the slow green blink means. If your inverter remote panel is like mine (2004 Tradition), it has status lights for On, Charge, and Inverting.

What inverter/charger do you have?
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:05 AM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Absolutly converter not convrting/charger not charging (Same device)

Three layouts
My RV: Converter #1 is a plug in device... Sometimes when I pull stuff out of the compartment where it lives I accidentally pull the plug. For some strange reason it does not work well (or at all) when unplugged. Under normal operating conditions I am most likely to figure it out long about 3AM....And its outside in a basement compartment so instead of getting dressed....

I enable converter #2, This is part of an INVERTER/Charger system and his hard wired in place so it can not be unplugged.. BUT it can be disabled.. Though it is also outside in a basement compartment the remote control switch is inside where I do not have to dress to enable.

(I will not go into why I do it this way here save to say I like #1's programming better).

The third kind of converter is intergrated into your power panel...Now it is hard wired so you can not unplug it but

All 3 of them have some things in common.
a: A circuit breaker (120 volt side) that can trip
b: Fuses (Reverse polarity fuses) that can blow or weaken with age and blow during normal bulk charging.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote