Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay37QSB View Post
We lost our whole wad of motorhome keys this weekend and was locked out. I asked my DW about 3 times if she had them in her purse and she said no. So we were lucky we gave the office a complete set of keys because our lot is seasonal. Later I was working on the MH on a ladder and the DW said she found the keys. They were "hidden" in her purse. You could hide 3 bowling in that thing!
I thought only my wife lost things in her purse.

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
A few years ago, I did the "fat finger" thing and locked the lower lever as I got out to fuel up.
I spent a few minutes, trying to figure out a way in, as I was in the pump lane.
My lower compartment was unlocked, and I found a flat blade screw driver. I Lined it up with the lock slot, and one good slam with the heal of my hand, and bang, no more lock. Ok so now to break it down. Yes, I destroyed the lock cylinder, yes, I had to call Winnebago, to get the right replacement lock cylinder, so I could keep the same "bottom Key". What kills me is, just how easy it was to "Break in". Why even put locks on it? After I replaced the door latch assembly, I did the same screw driver thing with the remaining upper lock cylinder, and you guessed it, just as easy. So, I guess the locks on these things are just to keep someone from comming in, without an invitation, and seeing you on the pot.
K.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Here's how it goes in this RV:

Me: Have you seen my keys?

Her: Why would I know where your keys are?

Me: Just askin'.

Her: Well, I don't have them.

Me: OK

Time passes as I turn the coach and the Jeep upside down looking for my keys.

Her: Oh look, they were in my purse. I must have grabbed your keys to unlock the Jeep because they were right on the counter and mine were in my purse.

btw, Great idea Dennis. I'll have to get one of those so I can survive those times when she doesn't have my keys.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
We also had to hide a key. Found out that if you do not slide to screen door cover close the dog will jump up on the door when you exit and lock the door. Seems to be more of a Winnebago issue. Lucky the first couple times that the dog locked the door I had the keys in my pocket.

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amazon.com: Master Lock 5401D Select Access Wall-Mounted Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock: Home Improvement this is what we have mounted by the propane tank with a full set keys.
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice ideas, and thanks on how it may have happened as I was stumped. I put the small velco mounted pouch on the back side of the chasis fuse panel cover above the generator.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #21

Just love my Keyless Essex entry pad. Saved me more than once. I do like the lock box idea near the generator. Might be a good 2nd backup. Redundancy can be good.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllk3rd View Post
I mounted one of these on the outside next to the entrance door. I'm traveling and away from home enough that I wanted my neighbor to have a quick and easy way to gain entry in case of emergency. They're great!

Of course, I would never lock myself out!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Made a spare set long ago and have them hidden. Yeah, I remember where.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Behind our spare tire is a channel. I now have extra keys to everything hidden on a long wire inside the channel. Got tired of going back to the front for the gas key from the rear every fillup and have been locked out 3 times....
Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced all my storage door locks with a combi-cam. Our outdoor entertainment center door is small, and I just keep a set in there. Use them all the time as when walking down to beach or pool, don't want to have to worry about keys.
Cam Locks, Combination Cam Locks, Combinated Cam Lock, Keyless Cabinet Locks, Nokey Camlocks
Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taboky View Post
I replaced all my storage door locks with a combi-cam. Our outdoor entertainment center door is small, and I just keep a set in there. Use them all the time as when walking down to beach or pool, don't want to have to worry about keys.
Cam Locks, Combination Cam Locks, Combinated Cam Lock, Keyless Cabinet Locks, Nokey Camlocks
Those look pretty nice. How long have you been using them? Have you had any problems due to water or dirt in the dials? Are the as secure as the original key locks?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay37QSB View Post
We lost our whole wad of motorhome keys this weekend and was locked out. I asked my DW about 3 times if she had them in her purse and she said no. So we were lucky we gave the office a complete set of keys because our lot is seasonal. Later I was working on the MH on a ladder and the DW said she found the keys. They were "hidden" in her purse. You could hide 3 bowling in that thing!

I have a purse like that too, though maybe only 1 1/2 bowling balls. It crives my husband nuts.

We have left our keys at home many time (2 hour drive to seasonal site). Fortunately our children are small and we were able to put one of them through the under bed storage after pushing (prying with a 2 x4) the bed up. That was out old camper, new one has separate through storage from the under bed storage, so we had to come up with a different "Plan B" for this year.
cdstrohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #28
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Those look pretty nice. How long have you been using them? Have you had any problems due to water or dirt in the dials? Are the as secure as the original key locks?
They actually have a cover that slides up over the dials. They are made for outdoors. We use them at work all the time.