Originally Posted by Al Childress
Any advice/input from current Monaco owners would be greatly appreciated. I will be picking up a 1997 34' Monaco Dynasty, Barron II with 22,500 miles this weekend. The unit has the following: 8.3ltr. 325hp Cummins, 6sd Allison automatic transmission, 7.4 kw quiet diesel generator w/80 hrs. two AC units w/heat strips, 42,000 btu furnace (zoned). No slides (my preference). Washer and dryer prep. Leather & power driver and front passenger seats. Leather 69.5" sleeper/sofa. The RV was kept in heated storage since purchased new, I'm acquiring from original owner. The RV is absolutely beautiful and handles extremely well.
The major thing that jumps out is the extremely low run time on the generator. That means the generator has not been run enough to exercise the engine or the generator portion. Make sure that it has been completely serviced including coolant. Then crank it up and turn on everything in the coach that runs on electricity. Run the generator like this for a couple of hours. Turn off all heavy electrical draws and continue to run for 10-15 minutes. Shut down generation & check oil. Look for any evidence of oil/fuel/coolant leaks. Let cool for a period (1 hour to a day or two) and do it again.
Hopefully, if there is an issue this stress test will uncover it before you are on a trip. Henceforth and forevermore, run the generator for an hour or so under load regularly.
Since the coach is so lightly used, some maintenance items may have been neglected.
Here is a generic list of service items:
Complete base line service for Cummins diesel motorhome:
Engine: filters to be Fleetguard
2. Fuel filters (2)
3. Coolant filter if equipped and test/ adjust SCA level if standard coolant. Change coolant @ 5 years. Add extender at 3 years if OAT type coolant.
4. Air filter if over 3 years old. Inspect plumbing between filter and turbo inlet for evidence of dust. Inspect CAC plumbing.
5. Inspect hoses & belts.
Transmission: filters to be Allison high capacity.
1. Change filters @ 36 months & top up.
2. Change fluid @ 48 months or test sample.
Always use TES295 fluid as approved by Allison.
1. Complete lube including lifting front axle from ends to unload king pins.
2. Including 3 zerks on steering column and one zerk on steering box.
3. Change Hydraulic filter & top up.
4. Change air dryer cartridge @ 2-3 years.
5. Grease front wheel bearings 3-5 years or change to oil hubs & inspect.
6. Change differential gear oil @ 3-5 years.
7. Inspect brake surfaces.
8. Inspect oil level tag axle hubs.
9. Inspect both chassis & house batteries. Make sure all connections are clean & tight. If flooded lead acid, check & top up with distilled water monthly.
1. Oil/ filter
2. Fuel filter
3. Air filter
4. Perform valve lash, belt/ hose replacement and generator unit service before 2000 hours. Replace thermostat and coolant @ that time.
1. Replace fuel filter
2. Replace burner nozzle
3. Exercise tempering valve.
4. Inspect coolant level at top of AquaHot unit and at expansion tank.
Inspect and clean all battery terminals.
Full time since '07