Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New Member & Class A RV owner!

Any advice/input from current Monaco owners would be greatly appreciated. I will be picking up a 1997 34' Monaco Dynasty, Barron II with 22,500 miles this weekend. The unit has the following: 8.3ltr. 325hp Cummins, 6sd Allison automatic transmission, 7.4 kw quiet diesel generator w/80 hrs. two AC units w/heat strips, 42,000 btu furnace (zoned). No slides (my preference). Washer and dryer prep. Leather & power driver and front passenger seats. Leather 69.5" sleeper/sofa. The RV was kept in heated storage since purchased new, I'm acquiring from original owner. The RV is absolutely beautiful and handles extremely well.

Thanks,
Al Childress

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Childress View Post
Any advice/input from current Monaco owners would be greatly appreciated. I will be picking up a 1997 34' Monaco Dynasty, Barron II with 22,500 miles this weekend. The unit has the following: 8.3ltr. 325hp Cummins, 6sd Allison automatic transmission, 7.4 kw quiet diesel generator w/80 hrs. two AC units w/heat strips, 42,000 btu furnace (zoned). No slides (my preference). Washer and dryer prep. Leather & power driver and front passenger seats. Leather 69.5" sleeper/sofa. The RV was kept in heated storage since purchased new, I'm acquiring from original owner. The RV is absolutely beautiful and handles extremely well.

Thanks,
Al Childress

Al,

The major thing that jumps out is the extremely low run time on the generator. That means the generator has not been run enough to exercise the engine or the generator portion. Make sure that it has been completely serviced including coolant. Then crank it up and turn on everything in the coach that runs on electricity. Run the generator like this for a couple of hours. Turn off all heavy electrical draws and continue to run for 10-15 minutes. Shut down generation & check oil. Look for any evidence of oil/fuel/coolant leaks. Let cool for a period (1 hour to a day or two) and do it again.

Hopefully, if there is an issue this stress test will uncover it before you are on a trip. Henceforth and forevermore, run the generator for an hour or so under load regularly.

Since the coach is so lightly used, some maintenance items may have been neglected.

Here is a generic list of service items:

Complete base line service for Cummins diesel motorhome:

Engine: filters to be Fleetguard
1. Oil/filter
2. Fuel filters (2)
3. Coolant filter if equipped and test/ adjust SCA level if standard coolant. Change coolant @ 5 years. Add extender at 3 years if OAT type coolant.
4. Air filter if over 3 years old. Inspect plumbing between filter and turbo inlet for evidence of dust. Inspect CAC plumbing.
5. Inspect hoses & belts.

Transmission: filters to be Allison high capacity.
1. Change filters @ 36 months & top up.
2. Change fluid @ 48 months or test sample.
Always use TES295 fluid as approved by Allison.

Chassis:
1. Complete lube including lifting front axle from ends to unload king pins.
2. Including 3 zerks on steering column and one zerk on steering box.
3. Change Hydraulic filter & top up.
4. Change air dryer cartridge @ 2-3 years.
5. Grease front wheel bearings 3-5 years or change to oil hubs & inspect.
6. Change differential gear oil @ 3-5 years.
7. Inspect brake surfaces.
8. Inspect oil level tag axle hubs.
9. Inspect both chassis & house batteries. Make sure all connections are clean & tight. If flooded lead acid, check & top up with distilled water monthly.

Generator:
1. Oil/ filter
2. Fuel filter
3. Air filter
4. Perform valve lash, belt/ hose replacement and generator unit service before 2000 hours. Replace thermostat and coolant @ that time.

AquaHot:
1. Replace fuel filter
2. Replace burner nozzle
3. Exercise tempering valve.
4. Inspect coolant level at top of AquaHot unit and at expansion tank.

Inspect and clean all battery terminals.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #3

That is an amazingly low mileage RV as it figures out to be less than 1,400 miles per year! In addition to the list posted, be sure that you look at the tires to see what the DOT code shows their age to be. If you don't understand how to determine when the tires were constructed, read this link on DOT codes. You need to replace the tires no matter how good they look if more than 7 years old.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #4

I was surprised that Monaco made a 34 in the Dynasty. Having said that I would want ALL of the owners documents regarding maintenance. I would want a complete inspection from a competent inspector for both chassis and coach.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Don, thanks for your in put, all documentation/manuals are present and I plan to have a complete inspection as you have suggested.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Sounds like a great find!
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #7

New Member & Class A RV owner!

That's nothing......ours is a 2000 model and only had 63 miles on it! I wonder if the new speedometer had something to do with that?

Congrats on your new coach.

Bruce & Teresa
40' 2000 Foretravel U320
Cummins M11 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #8

I used to have a 97 HR Imperial with that same engine. Private message me with an email address and I will share a ton of information with you.
Steve

Tags
class a, new member