Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #1

New Member looking for advice

Hi everyone. I have recently discovered this site and it has been very useful reading about all aspects of rv life. I am a three year RVer (travel trailer/toy hauler) looking to move to a class A. I am torn between new gas vs. used (2005ish) diesel. I am leaning towards a diesel, however; my wife likes the bright new shiny rigs at the dealer. Some that we have seen, but aren't limited to are the Georgetown full paint/loaded 38 footers which certainly do look nice and will come with some piece of mind. There are a mix of diesels I have seen around but nothing that is what we (she) is looking for. Some features we are looking for are:
diesel/freightliner chasis- me
full body paint- both of us
opposing tv (verses having above driver or towards back) -her
counter space - her

We don't necessarily need all of it if the deal is right. People will ask what will it be used for and I honestly reply that I don't know. I envision longer trips with the need to pull either a car or heavy trailer.

Things I am really considering are ride/power. I think having the extra power/torque would be nice but from what I have read and heard the chasis/ride is very different. I am also thinking about depreciation, don' really know how long I would keep it (5 yrs?). I assume that a used diesel that has already took its intial hit will remain somewhat steady while a new gasser will lose a lot of value right away. Do gassers depreciate faster over a 5-10 year span?

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bryan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #2

Bryan, Welcome to the forum. You should get lots of advice here. Good luck with whatever you choose.

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A good used diesel (or gas for that matter) that you use for five years and sell would probably lose you the least amount of money. The off the lot depreciation on any new motor home is drastic.

Incidently this amounts to do as I say not as I did---new gas rig---but we love it.

This is a buyers market so make sure you deal fervently on what ever you get. Make embarassing low offers and see what comes of it---you can always buy at what ever price you decide but it does not hurt to "go low".

Regardless of power etc; the floorplan that suits you both is a major issue----you spend more time living than driving, so choose the "space and convieniences" you want then see what chasis it is on.

Gas/Diesel the never ending discussion. A lot depends on how you will use the MH and you are uncertain, which is understandable.

I am a gasser---but in general the better set up I believe is a diesel; torque, hauling and towing capacities, ride, room etc; (this probably gets me thrown out of the club). You seem to know the reasons so I'll leave it at that.

The reason I have gas is that I knew for sure how I would use this rig and could not justify the additional expense for a new diesel comparing new to new rigs. We are very happy with our choice and do not have any regrets---but we had a specific plan and have worked the plan. The floorplan and interior colors and design was what we wanted and we love it.

You seem a trifle ambivalent about how you will use it---so IMHO----if you can find a good servicable diesel that can satisfy your wifes desires for floorplan then that would seem optimal------I think it more likely that you are happy in a diesel particularly if you have a gas rig then compare----make sure you both drive/ride in both gas and diesel underway before you decide.

I can only offer an opinion which it what you seem to require right now.

Good luck and have fun-we did and we are happy with our choice.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The most important item is layout and you best be sure Momma likes the interior.

Diesels are a lot more expensive to buy and maintain. My 36' gas rig has been to all the lower 48 states with sufficient power and comfortable ride.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #5

Bryan, you've asked the BIG question and your going to get a LOT of answers, as you have already in other posts here. Floor plan is the biggy, but don't over look the whole package. The unit you get must be capeable of getting you where you want to go and stay. Things like C.C.C. (cargo carrying capacity) are a big issue in the larger gas and some diesel MH's. It's no use having the space to carry all the stuff you want/need to take with you, if the chassis wont handle it. When theDW and I were looking we were shown a DP with only 512lbs CCC. and it had 6 seat belts! If you put a person in every seat , the coach was overloaded. NOT MUCH USE!
Keep reading up on all the info your going to get here , and expand your list a little. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #6

Welcome to this great group of people, lots of years of 'help available' here!

Suggest you and the DW take your time, visit a few RV shows, go to a few areas where you can look at several used RV's of different price points and quality. PPL, for example, or perhaps an RV Tent sale, with two or three dealers.

Sit down, come up with a list of 'Must Have's' and 'Like to Have's'. Come up with a simple grading scale for each item, that allows weighting for the key 'Must Have's' that really are important to you. (Mechanical: Power to Weight Ratio; Side vs Rear radiator; Tag vs Non Tag; Air Bags vs Non Air Bags; Aqua/Hydro Hot vs Water Heater; CCC; etc. Inside: King vs Queen; Storage; Quality of wood work; Layout flow; tub vs shower; seperate water closet; kitchen slide of non kitchen slide; number of slides or no slides; etc.)

Develop your budget range, with contigency to make things the way you want them, if buying used.

I like to point people to Johnny T's good Class A sticky on RV.Net board, it is a good overview between Gas vs DP...

Then again both sit down and talk over new vs used, what is comfortable for you two. Pick three or four manufacturers, and two or three models, that meet your needs. Then go shopping!

For us, we went with older units to obtain higher quality. We 'Dropped years to meet budget, while maintaining quality.' This worked very well for our other objective, which was to minimize depreciation. Older units, do not drop as fast as newer units.

But, that is what we wanted. No right or wrong on this, as we all have different perspectives on things.

Best of luck on your research, and the input about keeping the boss happy - is never wrong!!!
Smitty
Old 10-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First rule for us is Momma has got to be happy. You are both going to spend more of your time living aboard than driving.

I sure would like more power and a smoother ride, but we have 90K miles on our 36' gasser and just completed a 9 month circuit of the US including 6 weeks in Alaska. More power and smoother "nice to have" but not a deal breaker for us.

Most diesels are larger than 36' we are already limited in some places we want to go because of our size, bigger is not necessarily better if you like state parks, national parks, older parks in the northeast. In the Adirondack Mountains of NY there are a limited number of places that will take a 36 footer. At 40 feet you might as well forget it unless you want to stay at KOA and even they had few spaces for anything over 35.

Oh yes and on many ferries they charge by the foot!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. IMO xctraveler is spot on.

We have a 40DP and never really have much trouble finding a spot to fit us in commercial campgrounds but rarely/never even try National parks and only a few state parks.

I would ordinarily recommend a used gasser unless you plan to full time, spend a lot of time out west in the mountains, OR need to tow heavy loads. I'm guessing that going from a toy hauler you will want to tow a rather heavy trailer or toad so really do your homework on the towing capacity of any gasser you might consider. In addition, if you plan to boon dock in remote areas to play with the toys I would be reluctant to buy a big DP. I wouldn't even consider taking my rig down some ot the cow paths leading to the good spots.

There's debate on the depreciation rates of gas vs diesel. Conventional wisdom says that diesel holds their value better but I've seen members make the case (with data) that seems to show that's not really such a big difference.

Best of luck....

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
First rule for us is Momma has got to be happy. You are both going to spend more of your time living aboard than driving.

I sure would like more power and a smoother ride, but we have 90K miles on our 36' gasser and just completed a 9 month circuit of the US including 6 weeks in Alaska. More power and smoother "nice to have" but not a deal breaker for us.

Most diesels are larger than 36' we are already limited in some places we want to go because of our size, bigger is not necessarily better if you like state parks, national parks, older parks in the northeast. In the Adirondack Mountains of NY there are a limited number of places that will take a 36 footer. At 40 feet you might as well forget it unless you want to stay at KOA and even they had few spaces for anything over 35.

Oh yes and on many ferries they charge by the foot!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brywit View Post
Hi everyone.

I am also thinking about depreciation, don' really know how long I would keep it (5 yrs?). I assume that a used diesel that has already took its intial hit will remain somewhat steady

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bryan
Our experience is that the Original Owner took about $22,000 per year depreciation over the first seven years then sold to a dealer.

We have experienced an estimated $9,000 per year depreciation over the next 10 years. Some of our depreciation may be caused by the sellers' market today versus the buyers' market we were in so perhaps is overstated.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #10

Brywit - the best thing you can do is to look at and drive as many coaches as you have the energy for. There are lots of happy users of both gas and diesel motorhomes so you need to find out which is right for you. I have owned both and do not agree the the diesel motor costs a lot more to maintain than gas. For the most part diesel motors are far more heavy duty than gas and normally have few problems.

Do not be in a rush. Be sure to look in out of the way places to check quality. Insist on complete documentation. I just used my manuals last night. Make sure you get printed ones when you buy. No manuals, keep looking. To sleep better at night consider an extended warranty. A good one.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #11

Thank you all for your time responding. You all gave some interesting things to think about. I will definately take my time, shop around and see what we come up with. What I really learned from you all is to really consider a gasser. I was really leaning towards a dp but I will consider all. I also liked the point about really checking for capacities. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi brywit,
Floor plan sells the coach. Once the floor plan is chosen, whatever the automotive parts are is a much lower priority. You'll live in the coach much more than you will drive it. (I hope).

If you can make it, the Tampa RV Super Show is from January 11-15 in Tampa, Florida. It's the largest RV show in the country.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #13

4 yr toyhauler behind an 04 Crew dually...just turned into a 36' class A Diesel for us.
I drove several while hunting. Our biggest concern was "clean" as new was not an option for us. I drove V-10s and Cummins 5.9 & 8.3. I drove 4 bag, 8 bag and leaf spring chassis. The V-10 was on a sprung chassis and it would rattle your teeth out on the slightest bumps as well as have a ton of body roll in turns. The 4 bag was better as compared to the leaf springs....The last 2 I drove were 8 bag chassis...and while they do not have Cadillac ride..they by far rode the best of the 3 chassies I had driven. The 8 bag corners flat, handles great on 2 lane twisty/turny country roads and rides much better than the other 2 versions. After our 1st outing (last weekend, 650 miles traveled)...we are both VERY happy with our purchase.
I just posted my findings....I didn't want to start an engine or chassis squabble
Old 10-15-2011, 06:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We're sitting in Tombigbee STATE park in Tupelo, Ms as this is written ($14 including sewer). We've done a westerly trip staying IN both Grand Canyon and Yellowstone NP's. The easterly "leaf peeper" tour took us thru NH & Vt and down the east coast staying in mom & pop type parks (no KOA's).. We've NEVER had a problem with a 40 foot motorhome.....

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote