Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by static View Post
How would a class C help with sleeping configuration? I was assuming the class A would have more space, thus more sleeping options? There is a class C that I found but I assumed the size would be an issue.
A class C will have two ready made beds. Usually one in the back of the motorhome and one above the driver / passenger compartment.

Then the addition of dinette and couch.

The advantage of the class C would be is that you would not need to make up and pack up bedding every night.

I think for a family a class C would be a better choice. Not to mention the chassis might be a little less expensive to repair.

I had more sleeping room in my 23 foot Jayco travel trailer then I have in my now 33 foot class A.

Gene & Ginger 04 Winnebago Adventurer 33V, Workhorse, 11 Subaru Forester (Toad), Blue Ox Aladdin, BrakeBuddy, ScanGaugeII, BatteryMINDer, KONI FSD's
Gene's Pictures Ginger's Pictures Gene's Videos
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Senior Chief, Thanks a million!

I'm going to print this out and take it with me.

I'm trying to line up a few to look at on Friday. One that I'm leaning more heavily towards actually fits some of the things on your list. He told me he has a binder with all of the manuals as well as all the receipts for repairs and a maintenance record. He told me that he does a leak check every year prior to taking it out of storage for the season as well as plugs/distributor and other systems. I know he could just be telling me this, but we'll see.

static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
Monaco Owners Club

Good Luck on your ventures of purchasing an RV.

To help in your quest to determine the age of tires based on DOT required information, I generated a document for myself to assist in this matter.

I have attached the document for your reference and hopefully it will be of assistance to you and many others.

Good Luck,

Yukon Jack
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Determining the Age of a Tire.pdf (105.8 KB, 34 views)
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
First of all there's a 1985 Southwind 31' He says it's in near perfect shape, only the step doesn't come out but he says the previous owner told him it worked so he thinks it's a user error.
There is usually a switch inside the coach next to the steps, and another one on the dash. If either of these switches are in the wrong position then yes, the step will be inoperable when the door is opened. But by far the most common cause for this is a dead battery. The batteries have parasitic loads, like the dash radio or the carbon dioxide and LP detectors, that are present even with the main switches 'Off'. If the batteries cables aren't disconnected or if the rig isn't connected to shore power, the coaches batteries are soon dead. Even when connected to shore power, the chassis battery (starting battery) will usually die unless a trickle charger has been installed.

As far as these brands, I believe the Pace Arrow is a low end unit, using inexpensive materials and components. I don't know about the quality of the other unit.

Finally, I spent a year doing research before buying my first RV. One of the things I should have done that I learned later on RV.net forum and this forum was find a local 'Mobile RV Tech' with a RV repair certificate and have him/her inspect your choice before you buy. This would be someone that is working for you, not a dealer (who may be under trained).

These things can be a hole in the air that you pour money into. Good luck! And it's great fun.
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Any motorhome is going to need work. Maintnenance, uopgradesz, breakage. Much of it is no different than manitaining your stix and brix house and your car. Some, such as rv refrigerators, is a lil strange.

Check out as many as possible. Drive them. Let the owner show you hasve everything works. Be a sponge and soak up all you cwan before long you'll knoww wut u need to know.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you haven't already made the plunge here is one more thing to consider. After 1992 many companies switched to fuel injection and a 4 speed transmission. While it won't increase your mileage by a lot, it will increase it and it will be easier on your engine.

I've now done both the class C and class A and I like the A better. We do not have one with slide outs .... yet. They have definite advantages but like anything else it requires more $$ initially and there is always the possibility of more maintenance as time goes on.

Since this is all knew to you be sure to take your time. Look at them and then come back here and ask more questions. There are plenty for sale and if you are a total newbie you really need to take your time. By all means get a RV mechanic to check it out. It will be money well spent.
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
Alpine Owners Club
New member looking for advice

You might want to also consider the amount of overhang at the rear of the coach. If more than 7 feet you may be faced with dragging your --- coming out of a driveway.

Tires are a matter of some dispute. You don't know how threy have been driven or how much UV they have been exposed to. On a previous coach the tires barely had 20K miles but were 6 years old - the right front blew out on a Los Angeles freeway. No injuries, but a $500 freeway replacement.

Newer coaches have more complexities - turn everything on and off. I second the advice to take along an experienced companion and/or pay a shop.

And like other advice you already have received - don't rush. The really good buys will be next fall after folks have experienced significantly higher fuel prices and/or decided they are done with RVing.
5th year fulltiming; now in '05 Alpine Coach
Old Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #22
National RV Owners Club
This may have been covered, but we have a 1991 Pace Arrow 32' which has the same galley as the ones you have pictured. The counter/work space is terrible. There is usually just 2 of us - with 6 people, I think it would be a major headache. I suggest you keep shopping. Someone earlier questioned maintenance on the Southwind - I would agree.

Just my 2 cents
1999 National Tradewinds 7371. (Pace Arrow for sale)
Spokane Valley, Washington
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #23
make sure you have them apply water to the system and check every usage for leaks. i had water leaks on the last 2 mhs i have bought it can be a real pain
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One thing the DW and I always agreed on before we went into any motor home was, If we smelled mildew or mold at all, We didn't even consider buying it!
John and Vicki,2004 Winne Vectra 350 Cummins, 10k lb Blu Ox tow bar , 04 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd toad
cmpncrsaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #25
Buying a class A Motorhome

Everyone has given you such great advice. It is a buyers market out there. Have the owner fill up with water and show you that all the systems work. Have him run the AC, heater stove,toilet,refrigerator, furnice, water heater. Have him roll out the awning. If he is unwilling to take the time and effort to do this for you then run away. Do an internet search on any recalls. Have the recalls been done. Spend the $ to have a mobile certified rv mechanic check it out for you. Send it into tRV dealer if you can,t find a Mobile RV mechanic. If the owner won,t bring it to an Rvplace for a mechanical check. Then walk away. Don,t forget you will need $ for registration,plates and sales tax. No Rv is perfect. Ifg you eat outside at a picnic table this will give your beautiful family more room. You could also use a screen Rm or easy up shelter. Maybe some of your children would like to sleep in a tent,this would give you more room. Best of luck in your search. We looked for 5to6 yrs before we upgraded from a popup tp a travel trailer.
Smeraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #26

I think the P30 chasse was the first year for fuel injection which improved fuel economy. I had a 1988 and I was always below 7 MPG.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
Tiffin Owners Club
Well the second one's off the table. I told the guy I was interested and he said to think about it before scheduling a time to look. So I called the next day and he said it was sold. Oh, well guess it wasn't meant to be. And the third one makes me leery. I called and talked to a guy who sounded like he had a mouth full of marbles so I didn't understand half of what he said. There was another number to a woman so I called her and she said very abruptly that she was busy and had my number and would call back, then hung up. Problem is I called from my desk and the number that shows is our main line and she didn't get my name. So I might just rule that out also.

Now the good news. I found another to throw in the mix and so did my wife.

I found this: 1989 Fleetwood Trailblazer. 31 feet long with a drivers door sleeps 5 ford 460 with 58000 miles full bathroom with shower 4 burner stove with oven microwave hidabed couch fold down table 2 single beds in back leather recliner lots of closet space and cabnets TV by table and wired for a TV in back stero system front and rear 4500 watt generator decent tires lots of basement storage 2 of them go all the way across to the other side runs and drives very well.

He says the front tires are new and to sweeten the deal he'd put the newer tires from his other MH on the rear of this.

I asked him for more pictures of the interior and he's emailing them to me today.

And the one my wife found is owned by some friends of ours who I didn't know were interested in selling. They have a 1993 MH. I've seen it on the road in front of their house a few times but never really looked. I think DW mixed up the details because she says it's a Pace Free Ride? Maybe it's Pace Arrow Fleetwood? And she says it's 39' but I can't find anything that long? I don't have pictures yet but were going to look at this tomorrow since it's right in town in his storage.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #28
You probably already know that this is a buyers market. And bound to get even better for buyers if the increases in fuel prices predicted lately come true. And if I was going to buy an older rig like those you've shown, after I'd bought, I'd certainly want to do several local short trips to evaluate the rig and identify any bugs before taking it cross country.

The '93 would probably be the one I'd visit first. Since they're friends you'd get the best information about the rig. Perhaps they'd allow you to use it for a weekend. There will be a sticker in the back bedroom, on the inside of a closet door, that'll give the actual length. Here's a 33' on the net: 1993 Fleetwood Pace Arrow

BTW, when you're talking with sellers, make sure they have records of services they've had done. And the original owners manuals that came with it. Much easier to work on an appliance 500 miles from home if you have the book. (Even if they don't have them, if you're computer savvy, most users manuals can be found on-line).

'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote