Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #43

The old units that are being talked about in this thread will typically have small tires ... 16 or 18 inch. These will not be much less than $600 each, however the newer MHs will normally run a 22.5 inch tire ... that is a different ball of wax altogether. $600 each for these tires (installed) is very realistic, I replaced all 6 on my Discovery only a year before trading it in.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_ View Post
Don't forget to check for seat belts. I've been surprised while shopping that some manufacturers did not put belts at all seating positions. With four kids plus two adults you may run up short on some coaches.

You can search for 'seat belts' on these forums and see some discussions about the wisdom and liability of installing additional ones-it is definitely an individual decision-and from what I've seen you'll have to do the work yourself because no one wants the liability of installing a safety restraint.

Best by far to find a motorhome with enough factory installed belts and seating positions for all friends and family that will be riding along.

-wb
It's really not that surprising. Seat belts were not even invented until the 60s. Even major commerical Bus lines like Greyhound didn't start putting seat belts in their buses until the late 80s and I'm not sure but I think they still let you get up while in motion and walk to the back to use the bathroom. Heck, I don't think school buses had seat belts until the late 90s or even later.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #45

I have reread the entire thread and have seen that some of the units you are looking at are in the $3000 range while some others are up around $8-9k.

I would highly caution you against buying at the low end with the intent of doing upgrades ... and still coming out ahead of the game.

RVs are not like homes or apartments. Unfortunately, the reality is, as soon as you put RV in the name the price seems to double or triple. For example, if an appliance in your home goes on the blink, you can probably go to Bestbuy and replace it for a couple of hundred dollars. A similar RV appliance with the ability to run on propane/12v/120v may cost you a couple of thousand. A toilet may have a leaky value ... most of us have the knowhow to replace it ourselves (so we came avoid the $150/hr shop rate), but, the part alone may still be over $100 dollars. Something as simple as an awning will run anywhere from $1000 and up depanding on the size. If you are unlucky enough to purchase a unit with a defective floor due to water damage ... no money in the world will fix it.

I don't mean to turn you off ... but please be careful. Look for units that have been maintained. Look for units that have been upgraded ... in a professional fashion.

I have gone into RVtrader.com and looked around for you. The link below shows one at you upper price point. Although the bedroom looks a bit like a cheap spanish brothel, the rest of it looks in very good shape. When you read the description your will see that many of the replacement items have already been done for you. I realize that this unit is not in your part of the country ... I am pointing it out to you so that you can see the type of things that are out in the market.

Notice the new carpet, the increased storage and the updated body design.

Also remember ... RV, particularily these older ones are very hard to sell. That means that you should be able to pick them up at much less than the asking price. Once you start looking on the web on an RVtrader magazine, you will get to know the lenght of time some of these have been on the market. The best time of the year to buy (from a price perspective) is at the end of the camping season Sept or Oct.

1988 Fleetwood Southwind, SANTA ANA CA - 102070814 - RVTraderonline.com

Good Luck
Old 02-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #46

Damon Owners Club
I am new member, I though I saw a posting were they reference two books to look at for ranking of MH. Our 1st unit was 95 35Ft Pace Arrow. Lots of space under for storage for our weekend trips. It was great for just the 2 of us. Daughter in college, no time for camping. Last year we found we found a 03 Damon Ultrasport 38 Ft 2 slideouts 330 Cat DP. Will be looking for some answers this spring, only 8 wks before we get out of storage. Good luck in your search for new home on wheels.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by static View Post
How would a class C help with sleeping configuration? I was assuming the class A would have more space, thus more sleeping options? There is a class C that I found but I assumed the size would be an issue.
I've gone from a camper on a truck, to a Class C, to a Class A and now a new Class A. In my opinion the Class C was the best with Children. We had the Class C for 4 people....2 adults and 2 daughters. My girls loved the cab-over bed. We used the Class C over 12 years....until the oldest was 18. With the switch to a Class A the girls slept outside. They missed the cab-over part.
So I hope you look at Class C motorhomes too. Bring the kids with you before you buy. Make sure it feels like there is enough room to move around. Think about being caught in the rain and everyone stuck inside.

Happy Hunting
Old 02-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by static View Post
How would a class C help with sleeping configuration? I was assuming the class A would have more space, thus more sleeping options? There is a class C that I found but I assumed the size would be an issue.
Nope, Class C's generally have more beds. They usually have a bed in the rear, a sleeper sofa, a dinette sleeper, and an over cab bed. Most class A's have a bed in the rear, a sofa sleeper, and a dinette sleeper only. The sofa sleeper and dinette sleeper usually are only big enough to sleep 1 adult or 2 children while the rear bed and the over cab bed are usually big enough to sleep 2 adults. Generally, class As are longer and provide more living space while Class Cs have more sleeping space. You might want to look at some Cs just to get an idea of the differences. My advice: Take your time and find the right RV for you, it's a buyers market and depreciation only makes the RV you look at today worth less tomorrow. Time is on your side, don't let anyone pressure you into buying anything.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertatim View Post
The old units that are being talked about in this thread will typically have small tires ... 16 or 18 inch. These will not be much less than $600 each, however the newer MHs will normally run a 22.5 inch tire ... that is a different ball of wax altogether. $600 each for these tires (installed) is very realistic, I replaced all 6 on my Discovery only a year before trading it in.
Class As of this era generally had 19.5" tires,(which are a common farm truck tire), and these are readily found in the $250 to $300 range, even less if you're lucky.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
This site has been my greatest resource in my search! I ruled out the one earlier that had floor damage without looking because I wasn't willing to drive 4+ hrs for that. The other older model didn't have a dinette, only swivel chairs and I caught the owner lying to me about having another buyer. Makes me wonder what else he's lied about. So at this point I've narrowed it down to the 93 that's owned by friends of ours. Living in northern MN means this one is winterized and much of it can't be tested, but since they're friends they told us that they were going to have it looked over anyway and I can come along for that. This was something they were going to do before listing it for sale. Being friends, I feel much more comfortable that we aren't being lied to or having issues hidden. I'm going to keep my eye out but it really looks like this might be the one. We took our family out to look it over after I had so we could get a feel for having us all in there at the same time and I think it went well.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #51

See what I was saying about people lying to you, look you straight in the face & not even think about it. Broke as this country claiming to be & the public in such bad shape, you be careful or else you'll get hung out to dry.

Before you buy or sign a paper, you come back here & ask questions about anything your not sure about or dont know about the item first hand. Someone here will help you, guide you.
Lot of people on here done been down that road & know what to look for.
Neil