Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #1

Hello,

I didn't know where to put this info request, but I hope this forum is appropriate. We are brand new to the site and we are brand new to RVs. We are planning a year long country wide journey with our 3 children (ages 11, 9 and 6) upon my wife's retirement from the Air Force and our return to the states from Germany.

We are looking at RVs now and are interested in others' opinions about the different manufacturers and models.

We're looking for a model with either bunk beds or a loft bed. The Newmar Allstar (we also like their captains chairs for the passengers) has these, as do a couple of Winnebago models we've seen. Can anyone comment on the difference between these manufacturers? Their models have a bit of a price difference.

Can anyone suggest other models which offer these features?

Finally, we'd prefer a new one due to the warranty situation. Our budget is up to $150,000, but we'd like to spend less if we could.

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

Tom Wahl
wahlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #2

Hello,

I didn't know where to put this info request, but I hope this forum is appropriate. We are brand new to the site and we are brand new to RVs. We are planning a year long country wide journey with our 3 children (ages 11, 9 and 6) upon my wife's retirement from the Air Force and our return to the states from Germany.

We are looking at RVs now and are interested in others' opinions about the different manufacturers and models.

We're looking for a model with either bunk beds or a loft bed. The Newmar Allstar (we also like their captains chairs for the passengers) has these, as do a couple of Winnebago models we've seen. Can anyone comment on the difference between these manufacturers? Their models have a bit of a price difference.

Finally, we'd prefer a new one due to the warranty situation. Our budget is up to $150,000, but we'd like to spend less if we could.

Tom Wahl
Old 04-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
wahlfamily,

First of all thank you for your service to our country. Also welcome to irv2.

Newmar and Winnebago are just 2 of many quality manufacturers. I don't have a bunkhouse so I'll let those that do get into the differences.

If you would let us know what part of the country you'll be in prior to your rv trip we may be able to also recommend some rv dealers.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wahlfamily:
Hello,

Tom Wahl </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to rethink new vs used. New lose as much as 20% of value once driven out the door. The coach warranty is one year while the engine and tranny are 5 years and chassis, air conditioners and refrigerator 3 yrs. Therefore buying a new used one would provide years of warranty and most of the bad bugs will have been dealt with by the original owner. You can buy a service contract just before these other warranties expire if you feel it desirable. Most owners self insure. You'll be able to get a lot more coach for your money or spend a lot less as another benefit.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Tom

Welcome to the list!! I retired from the AF in 2005. We moved into our motorhome 3 months before the retirement ceremony, and have been on the road ever since.

Newmar and Winnebago are at or very near the top of most lists of RV mfg's for both build quality and customer support. Either should serve you well.

Your journey should be a great experience for the kids especially, and for the adults too. Don't forget military campgrounds. They can be a great money saver for you along the way. There is a privately run website that has very up to date info on military campgrounds at www.militarycampgrounds.us. You might also want to buy a membership in the AF Frequent Camper program, normally available at any AF Famcamp. It gives you the military campground book along with a guidebook to get stamped in AF famcamps, and coupons for free nights in AF famcamps.

Enjoy the adventure!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:55 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Russo:
wahlfamily,

First of all thank you for your service to our country. Also welcome to irv2.

Newmar and Winnebago are just 2 of many quality manufacturers. I don't have a bunkhouse so I'll let those that do get into the differences.

If you would let us know what part of the country you'll be in prior to your rv trip we may be able to also recommend some rv dealers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply and the note. We are open to where we will buy the RV. We're coming from Germany to stay with relatives in Sacramento, but we'd be willing to travel so any suggestions are welcome. Is there a difference with sales tax among the states?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:06 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ecker:

You might want to rethink new vs used. New lose as much as 20% of value once driven out the door. The coach warranty is one year while the engine and tranny are 5 years and chassis, air conditioners and refrigerator 3 yrs. Therefore buying a new used one would provide years of warranty and most of the bad bugs will have been dealt with by the original owner. You can buy a service contract just before these other warranties expire if you feel it desirable. Most owners self insure. You'll be able to get a lot more coach for your money or spend a lot less as another benefit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! That is a consideration we hadn't thought of. The depreciation of 20% could offset possible repair costs.

Tom
Old 04-15-2008, 02:29 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I would also suggest you buy used. For the most part the original owner took the loss, and you benefit with buying a coach which USUALLY has most of the bugs worked out.

I bought my Tiffin used, because I never could have afforded it new. I have had to do some work, but for the most part I benefitted.

You could always do research on warranty companies, and buy one on your own NOT through a dealer, you can save an additional 30% there. It is good you are doign the research now, you will also want to figure in getting a emergency service company like Coach-Net in case you do break down. So figure that as an additional cost, which I would not want to be without.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:00 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NYMoose "Lenny":
I would also suggest you buy used. For the most part the original owner took the loss, and you benefit with buying a coach which USUALLY has most of the bugs worked out.

I bought my Tiffin used, because I never could have afforded it new. I have had to do some work, but for the most part I benefitted.

You could always do research on warranty companies, and buy one on your own NOT through a dealer, you can save an additional 30% there. It is good you are doign the research now, you will also want to figure in getting a emergency service company like Coach-Net in case you do break down. So figure that as an additional cost, which I would not want to be without. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! We've got about 4 months to do our research. Do you have any suggestions for warranty companies?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I disagree with the buy used idea, unless of course you find the exact coach that you want, with little to no miles on it, and at the right price. I also disagree with the losing your shirt idea when you buy new. I bought a new 2007 Monaco Dynasty with almost every option. I shopped the coach and got the price I wanted, and I kept that coach for 10 months then traded it on a 2008 Monaco Signature that I had special built, again I got the price I wanted by shopping around and getting dealers fighting against one another. Now that's 2 brand new coaches in 10 months, and I'm still ahead of the game. The secret is knowing how to deal, and being able to walk away from a deal if it's not what you want, and you have to do your homework before you start the buying process.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Sam offers a CSP (Continued Cervice Plan) for rigs up to, I think, ten years old. I have it and have used it. Others can chime in on their experiences. I also recommend you carry full comprehensive insurance (no deductible). That will cover windshield replacement. Those things get expensive, and the yearly rate difference is small with my insurance company (USAA).
Best of luck,
Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tom,

While you're looking, check out the Tiffin Allegro 35 QBA. It comes with bunk beds and you can get it on a FRED (Front Engine Diesel) chassis. You should be able to get a new one well within your budget. If you can't get at least 25% off MSRP move on to another dealer. You can get an idea of pricing at lazydays.com. Remember, those are MSRP showing, not actual sale prices. You can see the different prices in the different chassis configurations.

Happy hunting. Thanks for your service!!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
For insurance, you will want to get fulltimer coverage from someone who understands/insures RVs. USAA might now if they have gone through with their plan, but they couldn't compete when I bought my coach in 2003. RV insurers can provide fulltimer coverage that provides general liability coverage normally provided through homeowner insurance. We also have full-replacement cost for the first five years (highly recommended if you buy a new coach), decreasing deductible, and glass coverage w/$50 deductible. Ours is with National Interstate through Explorer RV (a broker who searches for the best rate for you among several providers). Progressive and also good with RV insurance. Rates vary widely depending on state of residence, driving record, credit scores, etc but you should be able to get good coverage even for a higher end rig for $1000-$1500 per year at the most.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:45 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Just my 2 cents' worth on the new versus used discussion.

We briefly looked at motorhomes a few years ago but decided to stay with 5th wheels until we retire. Nevertheless, the following holds true for either.

An astute buyer can often get 25% to 30% off the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of a new higher-dollar RV. Unfortunately, those who haven't done their homework (what the dealers call the "door-pops" - those who just pop through the door with checkbook in hand) may pay something close to MSRP for their RV. If something happens and they want to sell a 1-2 year old used RV, their expectations are to get something like 70% to 80% or more of what they paid for the RV. I found that I could purchase a new one for what many of these sellers were asking for their used ones.

Let me join the others in thanking your family for your service to our country. It is greatly appreciated, and we wish you all the best in your search for an RV and in your travels. I hope our paths cross sometime.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote