Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
New Member/ Removing Oxidation

I was introduced to IRV2 by a fellow tailgater in Happy Valley at a Penn State game. Joined today and hope to learn a lot. I purchased my first RV this past Feb after renting Class A Gas units for two years. Got a 1999 Country Coach Allure 40'. Needed some understandable upgrades and minor repairs but for the most part very happy as it only had 59K miles and the engine checked out fine. My only concern which I am addressing now is that the previous owners did very little if any maintenance on the exterior and it has pretty significant oxidation over the gel coat. I have read and researched removing oxidation and purchased some Meguire's Oxidation Removal but it did not help. I have begun the process of wet sanding the coach to remove the oxidation to reveal the gel coat. I have made it halfway across the passenger side so far. I plan on using Mequire's Ultimate Compound after I have cut through the oxidation and then follow up with several coats of wax. I think I am on the right track as I can clearly see the gloss uncovered after I cut through the oxidation and assume that when I use the compound I will be able to remove the swirls. I start with 800 grit and after most of the oxidation is removed I go back over with 1500 and then 2000. I am open to any tips or suggestions from more seasoned RV'ers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hello and Welcome MBuschor!

My '94 PA had a fair amount of oxidation which I removed with Bar Keepers Friend and a green scrubby (like for dishes). I then did the ZEP process (floor polish shine) and have been impressed. Do some searching here to see other threads with photos and details.

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #3

Wouldn't rubbing compound and an electric sander/polisher work better with less elbow grease?
Old 10-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #4

For oxidized fiberglass I would use a Poli Glow Kit.

Amazon.com: Poli Glow Kit (New Applicator Mitt for 2014!): Automotive
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #5

For info and pictures.

Zep'd my Bounder...
Old 10-04-2014, 01:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Barb View Post
Wouldn't rubbing compound and an electric sander/polisher work better with less elbow grease?

Easier to avoid damaging ( missing ) the decals , by hand , and the Barkeepers Friend liquid is far less abrasive than rubbing compound.
For large areas the power equipment might be ok, but close to the decals it's a, by hand operation.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:36 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I struggled for years to get the perfect shine on my coach, the bottom half is paint and the top half is white gelcoat. I used all of the fancy expensive cleaners, glazes, and waxes, the results were always the same, it looked great on the paint but standing back at an angle in the right light it looked blotchy on the white I used a 10 inch orbital buffer and a 5 inch orbital buffer trying to apply the product as evenly as possible, even re-doing the whole job in an attempt to get rid of the blotchy look but no luck. I recently bought a bottle of "Nu Finish" which I had never tried before. I could not believe the results, no more blotches or streaky areas, the white is much whiter and very glossy. Now if I could just find something to restore the vinyl decals.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #8

My '95 Magna had Clear Coat over Gel Coat on the white area and Clear Coat over Color Coat on the various Teal colors.

When the Clear Coat on White Gel Coat began to peel I tried using the Zep Wet Look Floor Polish treatment, because reapplied Clear Coat only lasted 3 to 4 years.

I still have Zep on the rear cap of the rig after two Summers.

The shine matches perfectly with the sidewall clear coat where they meet as the test application photo below attempts to show.

There is a different feel to the surface with the Zep Wet Look being rougher.

It took about 60 minutes to do the four coat Zep Treatment vs @10 hours to clear coat the rear cap white areas.

There were another 5 hours of orbital Polishing to reduce the Orange Peel in the new Clear Coat also.

The Clear Coat cost about $100. The Zep High Gloss Floor Polish took about 6 oz of a $23 gallon of Zep.

I have found that the ZEP Wax remover is especially effective. $10 per gallon.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #9

My efforts to bring a shine the Gel Coat discussed above after entirely removing the Clear Coat (that had failed) from the Gel Coat were:

Soap and Water.

Bartenders friend to remove marks and embedded dirt spots.

Gel Coat was uniformly dull as in the pictured photo above.

Applied the Zep Wet Look in 4 coats using a pan and a soaked and wrung out microfiber towel to apply.

Protected the color coat paint from the Zep.

The gel coat is not very thick so sanding and polishing has risks since they remove material to create a uniform surface. I used 1000 grit at first to prep before re-clearing the area. That worked well, but the Clear Coat did not last.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
JDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBuschor View Post
I was introduced to IRV2 by a fellow tailgater in Happy Valley at a Penn State game. Joined today and hope to learn a lot. I purchased my first RV this past Feb after renting Class A Gas units for two years. Got a 1999 Country Coach Allure 40'. Needed some understandable upgrades and minor repairs but for the most part very happy as it only had 59K miles and the engine checked out fine. My only concern which I am addressing now is that the previous owners did very little if any maintenance on the exterior and it has pretty significant oxidation over the gel coat. I have read and researched removing oxidation and purchased some Meguire's Oxidation Removal but it did not help. I have begun the process of wet sanding the coach to remove the oxidation to reveal the gel coat. I have made it halfway across the passenger side so far. I plan on using Mequire's Ultimate Compound after I have cut through the oxidation and then follow up with several coats of wax. I think I am on the right track as I can clearly see the gloss uncovered after I cut through the oxidation and assume that when I use the compound I will be able to remove the swirls. I start with 800 grit and after most of the oxidation is removed I go back over with 1500 and then 2000. I am open to any tips or suggestions from more seasoned RV'ers.
WE ARE...!

I use turtle wax car wash for everyday cleaning, then Nu-Finish once a year. Works great.

Get that bowl PSU...!
Old 10-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #11

Welcome and congrats on your new rig......

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags