Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #1

New member saying hello and looking for advice

I am new to the forum and looking for some advice from you guys. I am going from a travel trailer to my first class A, My budget requires it has to be gas. Any advice you guys could give that may help me in the purchase process will be appreciated. Anything you like or dislike about your RV or any must have options etc...
I also have to ask the question. My budget will allow me to purchase a new entry level RV but I am considering buying a used one of higher quality. Specifically i have it narrowed down to a new Thor, a new Forest River(FR 3) nor the georgetown or a 2012 Newmar Canyon Runner. I am looking to keep this coach for 11 years as that will get me to retirement. Any and all opinions and advice will be welcome and thanks in advance.
Salt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

There's tons of threads here on things that people "didn't" like. Most of them are regarding things that don't work or having trouble with.. ie: slide mechanisms and jacks. One thing people seem to miss when shopping is bringing in the sides and see how you (or wifey) can maneuver around the coach while driving. Some don't allow much space. Mine doesn't but we're ok with it. We liked everything else so it wasn't a deal breaker. Also, if you're retiring in this rig, make sure you don't go TOO big. Many RV spots aren't allowing those monster machines.
I did the same thing as you're doing. I bought a rig that is a year old and saved about 40 grand. Depreciation is a ton on these things.. I didn't want it to be ALL on me.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Welcome!
Glad to have you.
Can't give any helpful advice but God Bless and Happy Trails!!
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome aboard. For us, the 3 most important things were a comfortable bed we could walk around, 10 gallon water heater and duel heat pumps. We have a lot more things we like about our coach but those are probably the top 3.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New member saying hello and looking for advice

Welcome, salt!! You're in the right place!

Buy older high-end brand. Quality lasts. With a gasser in the low to mid 30s length, look carefully at the wheelbase/length ratio. Manufacturers will deliberately use a short wheelbase chassis in order to create a long rear overhang. This in turn helps take some weight off the front axle. Clever engineering if you want to use a lighter, cheaper chassis, but the short wheelbase can leave you with squirrelly handling. WB/length ratio should be 53% or better.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First off, welcome to iRV! There are lots of threads on this topic, so be sure to read and search through them.

We started off with a Thor ACE. It has a great weight to power ratio and is fun to drive (especially after the 5-star tune and cheap handling fix). It also is a great tow vehicle and can pull your toad up and down the Rocky Mountains with ease.

You don't mention how many you want to sleep (grand kids coming along?) or how much you will be using it (weekends only or full-timing?).
Old 09-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
purchase

Personally I would buy a used higher end coach with low miles. You will save a lot get better amenties and the bugs should be worked out. Find a floor plan you like then shop for it.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #9

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:33 AM   #10

A Thor lasting 11yrs. til retirement? I wouldn't count on it since it's pretty much an entry level coach. If you can afford a new gasser, then I'd be looking at a quality used diesel like Newmar, Monaco, Alpine, or Tiffin to name a few. There's a ton of them out there. Just be sure and get those maint. records, and do your due diligence and you'll be surprised what you will find.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:10 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
A Thor lasting 11yrs. til retirement? I wouldn't count on it since it's pretty much an entry level coach. If you can afford a new gasser, then I'd be looking at a quality used diesel like Newmar, Monaco, Alpine, or Tiffin to name a few. There's a ton of them out there. Just be sure and get those maint. records, and do your due diligence and you'll be surprised what you will find.
Agree with the THOR comment. Also, avoid the Schwintek slide system.

Tags
advice, new member