Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 AM   #15

First off Google is how I found this website
2nd, I have found a number of internet posts about the quality of the Vogue Coach. It seems almost universally agreed to have been the Rolls Royce of it's day. These posts mention all of the items that made Vogue the best RV on the road back in the 80's. The also talked about how the owner/designer of Vogue as I stated earlier took on some custom conversions using Prevost busses that eventually led to his selling Vogue to Featherlite and starting the 1st of the Prevost based RV companies. From talking with people on my motorcycle website that travel our great nation with their motorcycles in tow behind RV's I got a good idea of what to look for and what can and will go wrong, break down etc. So, as I said, I have all of the word orders on this Vogue II since 2000 and every single major component you can think of was replaced except the Onan generator which is a 7.5 by the way. It fires up quickly and runs smoothly and I can hear no funny bearing about to go noises etc. So basically, what I've got is a coach with a brand new engine and trans. Almost new A/C, furnace, fridge, stove, microwave, sattelite system, seat mechanisms, sound system, toilet, inverter, converter, battery system and carpeting. The only down is the rear tires. All six of them need to be replaced. So I think I am pretty well informed. What I don't know and hoped to hear on this site was things like performance. Does the 502 go up and down hills well. Does it pull a trailer well. How about fuel consumption ? Reasonable or horrible. One friend told me that the GM 502 is very loud out on the highway. What does the coach do in the wind. Is it stable or does it drift all over the road. So anyway, that's why I joined this site. I'd hoped to find other Vogue owners who would share stories of their experience with a Vogue

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogueLover View Post
First off Google is how I found this website
2nd, I have found a number of internet posts about the quality of the Vogue Coach. It seems almost universally agreed to have been the Rolls Royce of it's day. These posts mention all of the items that made Vogue the best RV on the road back in the 80's. The also talked about how the owner/designer of Vogue as I stated earlier took on some custom conversions using Prevost busses that eventually led to his selling Vogue to Featherlite and starting the 1st of the Prevost based RV companies. From talking with people on my motorcycle website that travel our great nation with their motorcycles in tow behind RV's I got a good idea of what to look for and what can and will go wrong, break down etc. So, as I said, I have all of the word orders on this Vogue II since 2000 and every single major component you can think of was replaced except the Onan generator which is a 7.5 by the way. It fires up quickly and runs smoothly and I can hear no funny bearing about to go noises etc. So basically, what I've got is a coach with a brand new engine and trans. Almost new A/C, furnace, fridge, stove, microwave, sattelite system, seat mechanisms, sound system, toilet, inverter, converter, battery system and carpeting. The only down is the rear tires. All six of them need to be replaced. So I think I am pretty well informed. What I don't know and hoped to hear on this site was things like performance. Does the 502 go up and down hills well. Does it pull a trailer well. How about fuel consumption ? Reasonable or horrible. One friend told me that the GM 502 is very loud out on the highway. What does the coach do in the wind. Is it stable or does it drift all over the road. So anyway, that's why I joined this site. I'd hoped to find other Vogue owners who would share stories of their experience with a Vogue
Sorry Guy, guess we all misunderstood you, thought you were seeking advice about advisability of purchase of a coach of that vintage in light of all the things that have been done to it. The specific information you are seeking will be much harder to find. Good luck though. Let us know what you decide and when you are rolling...

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Ok, this is why I said I might be a dumbass. I started this thread hoping I'd find some people who knew Vogue coaches and could give me some tips, hints, caveats etc. Now it seems I should look elsewhere for the Vogue people but where might I find them ? I am part owner of a website for motorcycles myself and I do know how these things work, but we always indulge a new member by providing them with a direct link to the thread they are really looking for. Sorry, I hope nobody takes issue with what I'm saying here but it's just a bit frustrating. So would somebody indulge my ignorne and point me to a thread where I can talk to some fellow Vogue owners ?
Welcome. Now that we understand your motives, perhaps this thread will help: Current Vogue Motorhome Owners There are at least two Vogue owners posting there, and I think there was a link to another owner group. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Does the 502 go up and down hills well.
Does it pull a trailer well.
How about fuel consumption ? Reasonable or horrible.
One friend told me that the GM 502 is very loud out on the highway.
What does the coach do in the wind. Is it stable or does it drift all over the road.
These questions are specific to particular units and particular conditions, so all answers have to be either vague or assumptive to the max. In general:

A gasser doesn't have the torque of a diesel, so your tranny will be down-shifting a whole lot more, regardless of the grade.

Going downhill will require braking instead of an exhaust brake, so the condition of your shoes and drums are a factor.

Any extra weight will be a chore for anything that's hauling it. If the trailer isn't loaded properly over the CG, then it can get worse for performance. All trailers lower fuel consumption, even if they're empty.

What the fuel consumption is...is what it is. Your driving speed, what you're hauling, grade, and road conditions are all factors in the numbers.

A screaming engine between front seats can be heard. The larger the engine, the greater the noise level.

All boxes are affected by side-winds. If you have original shocks and suspension, it's likely not going to perform as well as new or more modern components.

HTH
Old 06-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
These questions are specific to particular units and particular conditions, so all answers have to be either vague or assumptive to the max. In general:

A gasser doesn't have the torque of a diesel, so your tranny will be down-shifting a whole lot more, regardless of the grade.

Going downhill will require braking instead of an exhaust brake, so the condition of your shoes and drums are a factor.

Any extra weight will be a chore for anything that's hauling it. If the trailer isn't loaded properly over the CG, then it can get worse for performance. All trailers lower fuel consumption, even if they're empty.

What the fuel consumption is...is what it is. Your driving speed, what you're hauling, grade, and road conditions are all factors in the numbers.

A screaming engine between front seats can be heard. The larger the engine, the greater the noise level.

All boxes are affected by side-winds. If you have original shocks and suspension, it's likely not going to perform as well as new or more modern components.

HTH
Thanks, I really appreciate this kind of feedback. The vehicle has had a complete suspension system rebuild including new shocks and (dumbass alert) has some sort of braking system for trailers and steep downgrades. (sorry, I am learning a little at a time here) I do get what you're saying about fuel mileage. Several people have said more or less - - - "if you are worried about buying gas don't buy a big rig RV coach " I guess in the end, at the price, this is really a no brainer for somebody getting into RVing from a low budget standpoint.
So a big thank you to all of you who posted here and when I get this rig out on the road, I'll be posting how it goes

Again, thank you all

Brian W
San Diego CA
Sebago Lake ME
Old 06-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #20

Click image for larger version

Name:	83 Vogue II.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	66387

Hopefully this works and you'll be able to see picture of the RV I've been speaking about here
Old 06-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #21

Nice looking rig. Here's a few thoughts I offer based on my experience. I had a 1987 Newmar Kountry Star 31foot Motorhome that had the 455 with a carburetor. I averaged about 4.5 to 6 towing. As mentioned above the transmissions shifts down a lot and you really need to be in next lower gear going down hill in mountains.
My current Motorhome has GM 8.1 liter motor and is 36 feet. It is fuel injected and I get about 6 to 8 miles per gallon towing. With the Allison transmission I have more options for the mountains, including a grade brake than I had with Kountry Star.
Hope this is helpful and you get to enjoy your travels.
Tom
Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #22

Nice vogue! I have an 84 now which is a completely different chassis so it doesn't pertain as far as the ride or handling goes.

But I previously had a 79 Vogue 26' with a 440 dodge and no tag. It was a solid coach also and didn't have any drift on the highway at all. The wind is always going to be an issue with lighter weight rigs till you hit the 20k lb mark or so IMO. When big rigs pass you, hold onto the wheel:-). I got 6.5-7.5 mpg, towed a 22' trailer with a sand rail in it, and a 25' day cruiser behind it a few times. It got great mpg and was really fast going downhill. Lol

Enjoy your new rig!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilleshps View Post
Nice vogue! I have an 84 now which is a completely different chassis so it doesn't pertain as far as the ride or handling goes.
How so are the chassis different. While being very much a gearhead, this is the kind of thing I don't have any knowledge of. Could you please expand on this ?

Thanks
Brian
Old 06-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #24

One thing I don't know if I mentioned is that I am going into this more or less low budget. My reason for this is having seen so many couples the age my wife and I are go out and buy a $100,000 plus rig, use it for a couple of years and park it for five and then sell it. Indeed the gentleman I am buying this Vogue from bought it, took it one trip each year from 2010-2013 and now he and his wife both say it's not for them. He and I are pretty much settled on $8,500. I am going to have to spend $3,000 on tires plus insurance, registration, Good Sam Club membership and Camper's World (Camping World ??) membership so it's going to be about $13,000 by the time I hit the road. That's pretty inexpensive for a decent 33ft Class A from my research. But still money is money and I have looked at some pretty beat up RV's in the past two months. 95 and up, various brands ranging in price from $5,000-$25,000. It seems it's not until you get up into the $40,000 range that you find a really decent used rig, so this one is a rare gem. But you know, if it's going to just nickle and dime me to death then my diamond can quickly become Cubic Zirconia. I guess what's really bothering me is the $80,000 worth of repairs the 2nd owner made from 2000 - 2010. At the point he bought it, it was 17 years old and had 62,000 miles on it. Is it normal at that point in the life of one of these rigs to have to literally rebuild the coach ? I have been joking about naming it "The Money Pit " The orginal owner paid $115,000 for it. The 2nd owner paid $22,000 for it, plus $80,000 in repairs. The current owner paid $25,000. Add my $11,500 (with tires) and this coach has had just over a quarter of a million dollars spent on it. Amazing. I just hope the spending ends with me only paying for tires, brakes and oil changes.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogueLover

How so are the chassis different. While being very much a gearhead, this is the kind of thing I don't have any knowledge of. Could you please expand on this ?

Thanks
Brian
Hi Brian, the chassis are different in this case because its the diesel model. Sorry I forgot to mention that, they made the diesel on a crown bus chassis and a gillig bus chassis. Mine is on the crown chassis and I love it. There are 8 airbags total, 4 in the front and 4 in the rear which makes for a great stable ride down the highway and handles very well in cross winds.

They don't drift as much when passing big rigs or getting past by them due the additional weight at 31,000 GVW, and 22.5 tires. MPG is 8.5 3208 Turbo V-8 Cat 250hp with a 4 speed Allison Trans MT643 I believe. You can pick one up between 15-20k.

Did you buy that one yet?

Gilles
Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #26

It sounds to me that the owner who spent 80k to rebuild a rig that was probably worth 25k, was a coupe French fries short of a happy meal.

My 79 Vogue with a 440 had about the same mileage and didn't "need" anything rebuilt except the Trans after towing 8k lbs of rugs behind it from LA to AZ. It was a good solid coach and still had original fridge working when I sold it in 08. I owned it for 5 years, I did do the brakes, replaced the distributor and rebuilt the carb.

I had good Sam/camping world tow coverage, and am not a fan. Used it once for a tow vehicle to go 10 miles and it cost me $60! AAA will get you much further at no additional costs.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #27

I just googled (GMC VOGUE RV ) and it seems there are lots of sites you can go to.
Wasn't the GMC VOGUE built on an Oldsmobile Toronado chassis. Thats why it is a
front wheel drive as the Toronado was the first American car with FWD. Also the frame was stretched and put on single wheel tandem axles.
I've always admired that model too. Happy travels.
Ed
Old 06-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #28

I'm not familiar with that model, could be a different builder?

Tags
advice, new member