Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
New Member, Slide Pump Question

Hey there, thank you for looking at my new thread! I have a new (to me) Georgetown Class A. It has a slide pump made by Dewald (Powergear now) i noticed it was low on fluid, so I filled it up and a day later (not using the slide or jacks) the compartment was saturated with hydraulic fluid. So, after investigating I feel that the o-rings may be bad on the pump so I have ordered a o-ring kit. There is a great manual from powergearus.com that gives a step by step on how to replace the seals but, it says to take all the hoses off and disconnect the pump. To me, it looks like 2 bolts hold on the ... hose barb assembly, can I just take the whole assembly off without disconnecting all 8 hoses? It seems that this would be a cleaner ( Even though compartment is already wet) and would save a good amount of time. Plus, I feel the leak is coming from the pump to reservoir connection where two o-rings are, this would enable me to possibly disconnect the reservoir, replace the o-rings on the barb assembly or manifold (not sure what it is called) and the reservoir connection. Any suggestions are VERY welcome. It is beyond me why Georgetown or Forrest River put this pump in a very small box inside the compartment. You should see how little room there is in the generator compartment. Changing air filter takes VERY tiny hands. Thanks again!!!

mkwartler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Slide pump question.

You can only add hydraulic fluid when the slide is in, or in the case of the leveling jacks are up.Otherwise you will overfill the reservoir and overbflow the container.

Mikeandyoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Our previous coach was a 2008 Georgetown. Driving home the day we took delivery, an alarm went off, which I quickly learned was for low hydraulic fluid for the slide/jack system (made by Lippert on ours, if I remember correctly). I looked in the pump compartment and, like you, found the floor soaked with hydraulic fluid.

Needless to say, I took it right back to the dealer the next day. It turned out that several of the fittings where the various hoses connected to the pump unit hadn't been tightened properly at the factory. Easy fix, they cleaned up the mess, topped off the fluid, and we never had another problem with it.

So before you jump into a big pump repair, I'd check all the connections first. It's surprising how much fluid can leak out very quickly.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Originally Posted by Mikeandyoly View Post
You can only add hydraulic fluid when the slide is in, or in the case of the leveling jacks are up.Otherwise you will overfill the reservoir and overbflow the container.
Thanks, I knew to fill it with everything retracted. I also have tightened everything up, it leaks just sitting there so leads me to believe I have an o ring issue.
mkwartler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Clean it well, then check often for fresh oil.

If leaks while standing then likely tank or return side.

Bring able to see where it is leaking may save a lot of work, could be simple as a loose motor bolt allowing the oil to seep out next to motor.

Clean it up, dawn in a pump sprayer works wonders...
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote