Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-10-2016, 04:29 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
New MH and portable satellite

Dw here to ask tech. questions. First I preference this with "I know Nothing about hooking up satellite TV. I only know, give me the remote and I can turn the tv and satellite on, change channels, watch shows, turn them off"!
We just took ownership of a 2016 fleetwood bounder 36e. It has 3 TVs (living area, bedroom and outside). In our home we have directv. We are thinking of purchasing a portable win guard satellite. My questions are: where or how in or on the coach do we plug in the cable that runs from the satellite to the TV/box? Please tell me we don't need to run the cable through a window (did that long ago with our TT. Was ugly and let in bugs!). Do we need three separate boxes in the coach for each TV? I apologize if these might be silly questions.....but....Hey if one doesn't know and ask then they will never learn!

William and Rhonda Quade
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 36
2014 Jeep Cherokee
keukacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not familiar with the Bounder or with Direct TV - we have Challenger and Dish. First off our coach has a HDMI running to each TV throughout the coach from a single HDMI control box and along with a standard cable connection. Our control box allows for connection from 2 sources. In our case it is a connection from our Dish receiver and a DVD player. This is important as you distribute the signal to each TV.

Our Dish TV has a VIP211z receiver. The VIP211z has a HDMI out, a composite out and an in from Dish Antenna (in our case a Tailgater). This is important because there is not a direct way to output from the receiver to the TVs through standard cable connections.

In our case, you simply plug the antenna into the cable in connection for the coach. Again in our coach, I added a splitter for the cable connection to provide a connection for the VIP211z and to continue the input to the TVs via the standard cable connection. Make sure you use satellite splitter. The VIP211z sends a small electrical current back down the connection to the Tailgater to provide power. The satellite splitter isolates this current to the Tailgater only otherwise it will make the cable signal "fuzzy".

From the back of the now connected VIP211z a HDMI cable is run to our HDMI control box.

With this configuration your are done. You will have signal via HDMI to each of the TVs.

IF and only IF you do not have HDMI running to each TV in your coach you will need to run signal back to a RF Modulator. I explained the connection for the RF Modulator in this post. It is at this post: Tailgater on Challenger 37TB

It really is simpler than it sounds.

US Army Retired - loving it in our Challenger 37TB.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:14 AM   #3
You should be able to connect the cable from the portable dish to either a cable TV connection on the outside of the coach, or, if it has it, a satellite TV connection on the outside of the coach. You will need to look at your owner's manual to see how your coach is wired. You will need to find out where that comes out in your coach and connect the receiver there. In that area should be the connections to your TVs. You connect the receiver to the TVs.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
I recently installed the Winegard G2 satellite in our DP. The G2 supports two TVs and each require a separate box. You will need to connect each box with coaxial wire directly to the satellite. I mounted my satellite on the roof. The hardest part was trying to figure out how to hide the coaxial wires and power cord to the satellite. I had to drill holes inside the cabinets to string the wires and then drill holes in the roof to run the wires to satellite. Not an easy job but it works fine. The drawback with the G2 is that even though they say it supports two TV's, the G2 can only point to one satellite at a time. So sometimes you will lose your programming on the second TV if you're watching a different channel requiring a different satellite.
Mo Fred, South Central Missouri
1990 32' Barth Regency
8.3 CTA Cummins, 4 Speed Allison
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #5
The portable automatic dishes (Tailgater, Carryout) won't do high def (HD) for DirecTV. If you have HD at home and are planning to take one of your receivers with you in the RV, it may not work with the standard def (SD) dishes.

If you want HD in the RV, you will need either an automatic roof-mounted Winegard Trav'ler SK-SWM-3 (around $1400 plus installation) or a DirecTV SWM-3 manual dish on a tripod ($150-$200). Aiming is done manually and can be a pain until you get some practice.

The good news is most newer RVs have an external hookup for satellite. If not, you can frequently use the cable input. Connect the other end of that coax inside the RV to the satellite receiver/DVR. If using one of the SWM dishes, you may also need a power inserter depending on which DVR you have (the new Genie HR54 has a built in power inserter). An HDMI cable connects the receiver/DVR to the TV. Depending on how your rig is wired, the other TVs may or may not receive the same signal from the receiver/DVR.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #6
Several years ago I moved my Dish Network HD/DVR system from a home to my MH using a portable tripod for the antenna. When I did it I called the local satellite company and they recommended a tech that specialized in portable systems for RV's and boats. He set up my system in the MH making sure that both TV's worked on the Dish system and showed me how to switch to the over air antenna and cable. Like you I had no idea how to set up the system or what switches to use. I learned a lot and had a working system in an hour or so. He charged me $100 and it was money well spent. Once you get the hang of it, aiming the dish is a piece of cake.
John and Karen
2012 Thor Challenger 36FD
2013 Fiat 500 Toad
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:15 AM   #7
This might get lengthy but here goes. I have a wingard port. dish and direct tv service. First of all like what was mentioned above your portable dish will be standard def. so you must have standard def. Dir. Tv recievers. On my coach i have a sat. input and a cable input located in the power cord bin. Your sat dish will have two outputs on it for two recievers. I connect both outputs from my dish to the cable and sat inputs on my coach. Inside the coach near the main tv these cables show up connected to the back of the tv's control box. Now if you dont mind all three tvs having the same program on when watching then you only need one dir tv reciever. You take the sat cable from the back of the control box and conect it to the dir tv reciever then connect the reciever to the control box at the sat input. Now all tvs are connected to the one reciever. If you want to watch a different program on say the bedroom tv, then you will need a second reciever. On the back of the control box near the main tv, remove the cable marked cable and the cable from the bedroom tv and connect them together using an inline connector. Now in the bedroom, connect the second dir tv reciever to the cable from the control box and to the tv. Now you can watch a differant prog. on the bedroom tv. Two important things, you cannot split the sat signal between the dish and the reciever. You can only split the sig after the reciever. The control box is the splitter for the main tv and the third tv. Hope this works for you. And i hope you got the automatic dish. I have the manual one and thats a nother thread when it comes to alignment.LOL
chiefdeputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:24 AM   #8
I would highly recommend tv4rv.com as a place to go for some equipment and answers. He is every good. We have had high def Directv for years on a tripod. Takes us about 15 minutes to set it up and get it aligned, most of that time is spent setting up, maybe 5 minutes(if that) to get it aligned. Besides a meter to check signal strength we use several apps on our smart phone to get things aligned. We also have 100' of coax attached to our antennae to get around trees etc.

We were originally from the east and always had tree problems so we went with the portable set up. We found the automatic setups on top of the RV were pretty much useless with all our trees. Out west that is not much of a problem.

There are companies that specialize in setting up your rig for cable. Mostly you will find them at rallies but the Escapees have commercial members that do this type of work if needed. They also have the waiver you need to send in to Directv so you can get the national stations for your satellite. This is called Distant Network Service(DNS) and you can get national feeds for the majors. We like this as then we don't need to change our programming or address to pick up stations.

Many people want local stations when they travel. We just use our antennae and stick with the satellite for everything else.

Directv has a special area for their DNS service which is very good. It takes a while to convince the cust. rep. that he can't help you but just keep trying until you get to the DNS area. Unfortunately the cust. rep. thinks he understands what you want but they really don't, you need to get to the DNS group. They know what they are doing. When we hit the road each year we turn on the receiver in the RV, call Directv, work our way to the DNS area(this can be frustrating) and once there service is switched over rapidly.

You might want to look at rvnetwork.com, this is the Escapees Forum. I believe they have a fairly active satellite area.

Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote