Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 06:11 AM   #1

NEW MH, questions

Hello everyone,
I received many answers to my previous post and would like to thank you all!
This is going to be my first MH and I still have a lot of questions. Some of them might seem silly to you, but I am trying to learn as much as I can and hopefully I will be as experienced as you after a few years of owning a MH.
(I apologize for my English, it's not my first language)
So, here we go:

1.Why they are 3 AC units instead of 2?
2.Are aluminum wheels better?
3.Does water filtration system required more expensive filters?
4.Is a tank heater better for winter months?
5.Why do I need a roof ladder?
6.what does a soft touch celling mean?
7.why is a fiber glass roof better than rubber one?
8.why do I need sink covers?
9.Does an "on demand water pump" break more easily?
10.what is DSI water heater?
11.Why in some coaches the radiator needs to be replace after 15k miles? Is it normal?
12.Are there some motorhomes protected against a rain noise better the others?
Thank you!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
Hello everyone,
This is going to be my first MH and I still have a lot of questions. Some of them might seem silly to you, but I am trying to learn as much as I can and hopefully I will be as experienced as you after a few years of owning a MH.
So, here we go:

11.Why in some coaches the radiator needs to be replace after 15k miles? Is it normal?
Thank you!!
1) It's about space. If you have 40 ft or more, and will be in very hot weather, a 3rd AC is almost a must.
3) No... regular filters or your choice depending on cost... Google "RV Filter Water Store" for some very good ideas.
5) You don't, but you will want roof access for at least the annual roof inspection unless you plan on paying for it.
8) Need, no, but they give you more usable counter space.

DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Hello everyone,
So, here we go:

I'll answer the ones I think I can add something to.

Bigger coaches may not be cooled well enough with 2. Coaches, at best, have not so much insulation for reasons of weight and the thickness of walls and ceilings with high value insulation.

They are lighter (an look better if maintained). They are not as strong as steel but strong enough that it doesn't matter a lot.

You WILL be on the roof at sometime. The ladder may make it easier. Some have removed the ladder and carry a separate ladder in the space. They tend to be harder to climb (pure vertical instead of sloped) and somewhat narrow.

Covered with some kind of soft material (padded vinyl in some cases) rather than hard material. The padding adds some roof insulation.

There is very little counter space.

Almost all water pumps are on demand. They sense pressure and power up the pump when needed. Running a pump continuously in a recirculating system would need a different kind of pump. One rated for continuous use. So, the real answer is No.

No.

Probably. Our first rental was an aluminum skinned motor home. It sounded like being in a barrel when we had a hail storm. Sure am glad it was a rental, not mine.
Thank you!!
My answers are embedded above.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hello everyone,
So, here we go:

You need all the cooling you can get! MH's aren't well insulated!

Don't know about better, but they sure look nice when polished up!

You can usually buy different quality filters. Try to get one that removes particles down to .5 micron and is effective on lead & bacteria!

Yes, if you will be staying where the temps remain below freezing!

There will be times you need to get on the roof, washing for example, and it's a lot more convenient than doing it with a regular ladder!

That's where the ceiling is padded. Looks nicer and adds a little insulation!

It' tougher and not easily damaged. It will last a LONG time if you take care of it!

It' nice to have the extra counter space when you are not using the sink!

No, in fact it should last longer than if it were running continuously!

DSI means the WH can be lit by an electric switch inside the RV.

11.Why in some coaches the radiator needs to be replace after 15k miles? Is it normal? Not in my opinion!

Certainly some MH's have better ceiling insulation than others so you would hear less rain noise!

Thank you!!

BTW, you English is better than most of us!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They are prettier, not mechanically better. Plain steel wheels usually get decorated with add-on metal trim rings that can come loose, or get dented, etc.

Quote:
It requires a filter, but how expensive that is depends on how much filtration and water flow volume you want. Better filtration with a adequate flow through the filter requires larger and more expensive filters, but typical ones are not at all expensive.

Quote:
How cold is the climate? They are generally NOT needed if the RV is being used (heated inside), but can be of help if the weather is extremely cold. Most Class A motorhomes do NOT have heated tanks because their "basement" is heated anyway.

Quote:
To climb onto the roof? Without carrying a separate ladder? You probably don't NEED a permanent mount roof ladder unless you in fact do want to get up on the roof while away from home. If you never go up there, e.g. get maintenance done by a dealer, you have no use for one.

Quote:
It is pretty much impervious to damage from tree limbs and such, and also easier to keep clean than EPDM rubber. For practical purposes, it is a "forever" roof material. But fiberglass is not markedly superior to TPO or aluminum roofs. All RV roofs need regular maintenance to keep seams and openings sealed (caulked), so fiberglass has no advantage in that regard.

Quote:
No. And its the only kind you will get in an RV anyway, so don't worry.

Quote:
It uses an electronic spark to light the LP gas instead of a pilot light. It is not used when connected to shore power and the heater runs in electric mode.

Quote:
The most likely reason is that the owner neglected to change the coolant as recommended. Since motorhomes tend to be low mileage, owners often forget that fluids and filters have an age limit as well as mileage.

Quote:
Very subjective. TPO roofs tend to be the quietest, but EPDM is close. Fiberglass and aluminum make more rain noise. The amount of insulation in the roof doesn't seem to make much difference, but different people are sensitive to different sounds. Personally, I find all but the hardest rains soothing rather than annoying. Birds walking around on my roof, however, is a different story!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I believe Aluminum wheels weigh less than Steel wheels.

Less weight should result in more cargo carrying capacity and better fuel mileage.

Also, they look very nice when polished and do not rust.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #7

1.Why they are 3 AC units instead of 2? Longer Motorhomes need more cooling and heating.
2.Are aluminum wheels better? Better looking. Less prone to corrosion.
3.Does water filtration system required more expensive filters? Filters are pricey, but last quite a while.
4.Is a tank heater better for winter months? Heating Pads (Electric) are easier to manage than Furnace Heats Vents in the basement.
5.Why do I need a roof ladder? Roof maintenance is easier.
6.what does a soft touch celling mean? Slightly padded vinyl, as apposed to the previous carpet like material.
7.why is a fiber glass roof better than rubber one? More durable, and less prone to damage and leaking.
8.why do I need sink covers? More Counter Space when not using the sinks.
9.Does an "on demand water pump" break more easily? Nope. Our last one lasted 17 years.
10.what is DSI water heater? Direct Spark Ignition. No pilot light required.
11.Why in some coaches the radiator needs to be replace after 15k miles? Is it normal? Not sure. Not normal at all.
12.Are there some motorhomes protected against a rain noise better the others? They are all pretty noisy in the rain. No attic, plastic vent covers, skylight in bath etc.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Hello everyone,
So, here we go:

Thank you!!
1. Bigger rigs need more cooling and heating. RVs are not insulated like a stick and brick house and have more window exposure that allows a lot of radiant energy in thus the need for more cooling.

2. Aluminum wheels are lighter than steel and weight is critical in RVs.

3. Water filters are the same as for a stick and brick house. The micron size of the filter is critical. 5 microns is about as small as you want to go with out reducing water flow and pressure.

4. Most class A motorhomes do not even offer tank heaters as an option because the tanks are located in the "basement" and not directly exposed to the outdoors like class C tanks that are suspended beneath the floor of the motor home. The wet bay of a class A also receives ducted furnace heat. I have winter camped a lot with no problems of tanks freezing. I do monitor the wet bay temperature and disconnect the fresh water input when temp drops lower than 30 or install my heated water hose.

5. Roof ladders are great for climbing up and watching NASCAR races. It is also good to inspect air conditioners and vents that are up there, making repairs due to low hanging branches, removing leaves, pine straw, twigs and snow before pulling out. Your roof is white for a reason and keeping it clean helps in hot weather.

6. The ceiling is padded for the same reason your car ceiling is padded.

7. Fiberglass laminated to plywood is stronger than rubber glued to plywood and lasts longer because it holds up to UV radiation and the elements.

8. You don't, but it makes it look like you have more counter space which is a big selling feature.

9. No.

10. Better than a pilot light which wastes fuel and is bad for the environment.

11. Never heard of this. Where did you see this?

12. Despite what some people think, no not really. Some much higher end coaches do have a half inch more styrofoam insulation. But even in those rigs you have to turn up the volume on the TV when it rains.

You command of the English is better than a lot of the natives of our country's educational system.

You're welcome
Old 06-24-2016, 04:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post

11. Never heard of this. Where did you see this?

I found a nice one with a low mileage, but the radiator fix was suspicious. As another person answered - it was probably the owners fault not replacing fluids often enough.

You command of the English is better than a lot of the natives of our country's educational system.

Thank you (and unfortunately agreed)

You're welcome
Thank you!
Old 06-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It's true that aluminum wheels are lighter, and a set of 6 typically saves about 200 lbs versus steel wheels with chrome trim rings. Whether that is significant on a rig that probably weighs upwards of 32,000 lbs, I live to your discretion.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #11

Great and constructive responses to these questions. Salute to all...

Only thing I'll add, is that possibly the OP read stories about the bad batch of aluminum side radiators that were installed in many coaches. (Alpine, Country Coach, Monaco, etc.) Forget the full lineup of those that had this radiator. Seemed to be from around 2003-2006 (Plus or minus a year on each end, depending upon manufacturer.)

Several had a few $K replacement radiators that needed to be installed.

Best of luck OP, and keep doing your research and asking your questions!!!
Smitty