Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New MH Tires

I will be needing new tires soon.

I am currently riding on Michelin XRV's and and would like to stay with that brand and style.

My size is 245/70R-19.5 XRV

A local dealer wants $399.95 each !! Seems quite a bit high. His bill will be $3000 installed and will not assure me that the mfr date code will be less than one year old.

This just seems outrageous!
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Boy that sure seems high, but stuff has gone up a lot in the last few years.
The last Michelin 19.5s I bought was about six years ago for my last motor home and as I recall I spent about $1400 for all six including mounting.

I will be looking at replacing the ones on my current motor home in two or three years - if not sooner - and if those numbers you got are accurate that's going be a chunk of dollars!

73s WA5NMR
Old 05-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
not sure about the price you might want to try tire warehouse
i would definatly want a fresh build date
brianj
Old 05-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYTYER View Post
I will be needing new tires soon.

I am currently riding on Michelin XRV's and and would like to stay with that brand and style.

My size is 245/70R-19.5 XRV

A local dealer wants $399.95 each !! Seems quite a bit high. His bill will be $3000 installed and will not assure me that the mfr date code will be less than one year old.

This just seems outrageous!
We also got a recent quote from our dealer for the same size tires and it was $341 each, mounted and balance= $2046 for (6) + tx. I thought this was very reasonable but I'm still going to check on Bridgestones and Hankook's. I was going to replace the fronts this fall and the back 4 in the spring.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JC2....your quote seems to be more in line. I was quoted back in April $2400 out the door and that was for the 22.5 size..... that is in the Phoenix area.
emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Maybe if Flytyer were to offer the tire guy some of those nice trout, which he is capable of catching, I bet he would lower the price.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Maybe if Flytyer were to offer the tire guy some of those nice trout, which he is capable of catching, I bet he would lower the price.
Unfortunately the dealer is also a fisherman.

Anyway I have checked around some and I can get the tires for $240 ea, but the store cannot mount them. I will keep looking.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hint!! Don't let them remove your tires until you have personally inspected the date codes on the new tires. I had been assured that I was getting fresh date codes and they turned out to be 18 months old. By the time I saw the new tires, my old tires had been carried away by a forklift.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FYI from Michelin

Yesterday, I called Michelin about the 22.5 size and was told the seasonal run manufacturing was underway now. As this size is not too well found in warehouses in the Southeast....This size will be brand-new issue date for those using this size tire.

BTW. In reply to my query about sidewall cracks...Michelin says if crack's depth is less than 2mm [2/32"] it's still considered a good tire. Anything more should be looked at by a mechanic to determine if any cause for alarm. Barring cracks, tires covered and if vehicle is kept in reasonable use throughout the year, was told 10 years life was possible. This does not jive with the current felt 5 year limit that every RV'er is referring to.

Has anyone else heard of this long life expectancy?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went through as similar process last Fall for our RV. I ended up calling 5 different Michelin dealers in the area. One of them had our 22.5" tire in stock, with the proper date codes. In the end, I went to another area dealer who swapped with the original dealer and sold me the tires at $75 less each than the original guy wanted. I physically staged each tire as they were put on, verifying the date code.

I don't know where you are physically but it might pay you to find a different dealer, even a few hours drive away. If you can find a better price quote, you may be able to take it to your local guy and ask for a price match. In today's business climate, you have nothing to loose in trying
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well it looks like I will have to drive the MH about 60 miles to another dealer. His cost with all taxes, spin balancing, etc is $2100 for 6 tires. AND they are less than 1 year old. The basic tire price is $314.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #12

I ordered 6 of that size yesterday. Total price, including mounting, is $2,120.