Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New Michelin F or G rating

I'm going for a new set of Michelin on my 32 ft W-20, with the Michelin XZE I have a option on load range F or G. it has F on it now. Any one out there running the G when it came with the F. Thanks Denny
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #2

The higher the letter rating the more weight they can handle. Some folks who are marginal with their axle weight move up to the higher letter rate. In some cases I am told that it can improve the handling... but that is hearsay. You can check out the Michelin website for specs on each tire.
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Lued; Six months ago, I replaced my Michelin XRV's with six new XZE's, load range "G"
This was done while getting ready for our trip to Alaska. Very happy that I switched to the XZE's and the higher load range. The tires did great and we drove 11,000 miles, with some of the driving on some very rough roads. I have a 33 foot W-20, so the rig is the same chassis......no regrets!

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #4

You are adding Ply's or more heavy duty for weight also a stiffer ride just keep them hard for safty not soft for ride.I worked in the rubber field 33-1/2 years and think You are making a good move.As most units have a just pass the weight speck tire as standered from the day built..I run Michelin also but My Bus has 22.5s bigger rims and tires ...Bushman
Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think going to G will give you a harsh ride on a W20.

I recently replaced my 6 year old Michelins XRV F with their new XRV load range F and the ride is better than ever on our W22. I was told by the dealer that Michelin redesigned the RV series to give a better and safer ride.

I also went with the spin balance and not the power stuff.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Vehicle manufactures (autos, trucks, RV's, etc) often install the best tire for promotion and sales pricing, not neccessarily the "best tire" that you wished it had. So when you go to replace them, it's always good to get the best tire you can afford. Vehicles will come with just what they need to pass minimum requirements and not above it unless there was a special order or package option. It is wise to have a little more load margin than not enough or marginal. I'd go up in load range for safety margins. It might be stiffer, but it will be tougher and more durable.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The 'G' is no better than the 'F' if the F has plenty of load carrying capacity for your axle weights. Figure your loads (actual weights) and buy the tire that supports the load without getting near its max load limit. I would be surprised if a load range 'G" tire is needed on a W20 with a 20,700 lb gvwr. You have 6 tires, carrying somewhere around 3500 lbs each, and an XZE in the 'F" rating can carry that much easily without even needing high pressures.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to agree with Gary - while you may "feel" safer with the higher rated tire you have to consider everything. Many times you'll find that a tire and wheel are speced as a set - the wheel itself may not be able to handle the higher pressures that the upgraded tire is capable of holding, so you're restricted to the pressures for the lower grade tire anyway.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lued,
One other aspect you may wish to consider. By stepping up a load range you will be able to carry the same weight at a lower air pressure in the tires. This generally translates into a smoother, more comfortable ride. My old bones will take that anyway they can get it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lued
I bought the XZE load range G last year and love them. Soft ride and low pressure 85 rear 95 front. Biggest reason for buying those tires was they were made two months before purchase. Which was important to me.

Mike
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lued View Post
Any one out there running the G when it came with the F.
Denny, You will never realize the benefit of running a G rating if you have been originally furnished with F rated tires. There is no need to up the load range just because you can.

Unless you have the hardware to support the sneakers it's just not necessary.

You'll do just fine with F rated tires.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Lued,
One other aspect you may wish to consider. By stepping up a load range you will be able to carry the same weight at a lower air pressure in the tires. This generally translates into a smoother, more comfortable ride. My old bones will take that anyway they can get it.
You CANNOT in most cases use a lower air pressure on the same SIZE tire going from an "F to a "G". Don't let anyone tell you differently. Even tire dealers will get confused. There are some cases in which (with specific tires) you might be able to do this, but that is another subject.

Remember...same size tire.....if it is a "F" rating or a "L, MNOP" rating.....at the same pressure.......same weight carrying capacity. In almost ALL cases.

Be safe. Gary, DriVer, and Alan have it right
Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #13

I would certainly defer to the expertise of those giving advice on the tire load range suitable for the OP's coach.

I opted for Bridgestone R250F 245/70R19.5 load range "G" tires on our coach. The manufactures minimum recommended pressure for the "G" rated tire is 80psi which I use.

I chose Bridgestone R250F tires as they have a 19/32nd tread depth which puts a bit more rubber on the road, of course the trade-off is a somewhat stiffer ride.

Yesterday, the 22nd, I replaced my 2 front tires with the R250F's as they were 8 years old (should have been replaced earlier) and had developed small cracks in the sidewall. What I found interesting is, with 50,627 miles they still had 15/32nds tread remaining and no irregular tire wear patterns.

Our 38' gas coach weighs 21,300lbs loaded for travel, and admittedly I feel a more comfortable running on the "G" rated tires. I'm reasonably certain the "F" rated tires would suffice and perhaps provide a softer ride.

Best regards and safe travels to all

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
One other aspect you may wish to consider. By stepping up a load range you will be able to carry the same weight at a lower air pressure in the tires.
Sorry, but that is simply not a the case. Look at the Michelin Load Inflation Tables and you will see that F & G have exactly the same pressure for the same weight (load). The G tire simply goes much higher in load capacity than the F.

You can often lower the require tire pressure by using a wider tire of the same profile (aspect ratio). This is because the foot print is wider and the load is spread over a larger area. You can do this if the rear wheels have sufficient spacing to allow a wider tire and the front wheel wells have rom so a wider tire does not rub in a turn.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote