Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #1

New Michelin XZA2 Energy Tires.

I've seen a few threads on tires, thought I'd provide a little report.

I followed my on-line buddy Mike Canter's advice (many of you will have seen his many helpful posts here on IRV2) and put new XZA2 Energy tires on the Patriot. Like Mike I went up to 315s on the front, 295s on the drive. I haven't done the tags yet.

I got them on the Monaco Int'l fleet deal, but the same deal is available through FMCA. Cost about $3,500 for the tires as opposed to close to $5,300 (installation extra)

The ride is markedly improved over the Goodyear G670s it came with. We drive over the I90 to Seattle each year, and the road surface through Spokane and over the Snoqualmie Pass is terrible. Not the worst we have ever seen, but it is a harsh surface, noisy, and in places missing concrete. In the past it almost made you feel ill to drive over it, and it was a HUGE relief when it was over.

With the XZA2s it was almost pleasant. Very happy with the performance and ride, and the cost was comparable to the retail price of competitive tires. The 315s on the front are 20 ply, giving me an extra 1,400 lbs per side of capacity (was a little close to the max on the Goodyear tires) and extra plies are just a good thing.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #2

Thanks. I am about to pull the plug and replace the cheap Chinese (Linglong) that the previous owner had put on the coach. I relpaced the drive's with Hancook when I first bought it because I could not get the Michelin. Now going to replace the four rears with the Michelin.

The FMCA deal is really quite good. About $85 a tire less than the best price I got from a Michelin dealer and 150 less than my RV repair place (to remain naimless yet they sponser this site) To their credit, they are the ones who told me to get the FMCA deal.

Looking forward to see how they ride because my coach has some ride issues we are trying to address.

Rick
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Was clearance an issue when you increased the tire size? What size were the previous tires? Did this size change put your speedometer out?
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #4

Paul, can chime in but I put the 315/80 front tires on my S-Series chassis with zero problems. Both Paul and I left the back tires at the stock size of 295/80 so there is no change to the speedometer. The 315 tire is right at one inch greater diameter so it does add a half inch to the height of the front which so far has not made a difference to anything that I can tell. There is no interference problem that I have found yet. I have heard that somebody put the 315 tire on a later model S-Series chassis and that the tire hit the airbag plate in a tight steering wheel all the way over turn. It could be that the steering stop just needed to be adjusted a little to stop it from cranking that far over. What really makes me feel good is the increased weight handling on the front axle. I was having to run the G670 295/80 tire at 115 psi for the actual weight on the front. The 295/80 tire max weight allowed is 7830 at 125 psi and I have a Dana 14,600 lb front axle. The 315 max is 9090 lbs at 130 psi and I run them at 105 psi. I feel a lot more comfortable with the increase weight margin on the 315 tires. When I installed them I had them spin balanced. The drivers side took zero ozs of weight and the pass side took only two ozs of weight. They are a great tire with zero tread noise heard in the cockpit when driving down the road unless it is one of those real weird rough surfaces that for some reason some places like to make there roads from. As far as expansion joints or those bump, bump, bump old roads. It is still there but a lot less noise. You just can't get rid of that noise.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #5

Mike is bang on. My only interference problem was the passenger mud flap had a little bend to the front on the inside of the flap. Noticed it rubbing on left hand turns. Bent the flap back (it is plastic) and now have no issues.

I weighed my coach and the driver front was 7,650 lbs, the passenger was a little less. That was pretty close to the max on the G670, so I had to run them at 120 PSI to carry that much. On the 315 XZA2 I can run them at 110 and have better margin.

I have the advantage (if you want to call it that) of driving the same bad road on both the G670 and XZA2 tires. The difference in ride quality and quite is significant, but it ain't a hovercraft.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #6

I too went to Michelin XZA2's on the front. There were no 315's anywhere in our region so I stuck with the 295's. I was also worried about clearance as 2 other Dynasty owmers tried the 315's and they hit the air bag plate. But another bonus for thos that go with the bigger tire is the price. The FMCA, MI, etc. price is $50 a tire cheaper!! Go figure!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Mike, what model and year coach do you have?

My coach is an 04 Navigator currently with Michelin XZA tires. The tires are wearing well and I am happy with the ride at 110 psi but, I will go to 315's when I need replace the steering ones.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #8

I am a 2004 Signature 44' Conquest. My chassis should be identical except I am a little longer than yours.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrick View Post
Thanks. I am about to pull the plug and replace the cheap Chinese (Linglong) that the previous owner had put on the coach. I relpaced the drive's with Hancook when I first bought it because I could not get the Michelin. Now going to replace the four rears with the Michelin.

The FMCA deal is really quite good. About $85 a tire less than the best price I got from a Michelin dealer and 150 less than my RV repair place (to remain naimless yet they sponser this site) To their credit, they are the ones who told me to get the FMCA deal.

Looking forward to see how they ride because my coach has some ride issues we are trying to address.

Rick
Rick,
What size were your tires?? I am about to get new shoes all the way around on my M-4040 Serengeti. Presently I have Sumitomo's 255R70/22.5's which matches the Data Plate next to the drivers seat. What does the Data Plate on your Panther say/recommend? I can get Sumitomo's again either here on the Peninsula or down in Sales-Tax-Free-Land (Portland), or from Les Schwaab Toyo M-120z's. I talked to the Safari Expert (Ralph Andrews) and his basic advise is to go to a larger tire so you can run less air pressure. I am considering going to the 265's in Toyo's, Sumitomo, or even Yokohoma's.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires