Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Some,,, Uh, "inexpensive" motorhomes just didn't have an automatic transfers switch. I looked at a Damon gasser like that. The coach had a 30 amp plug, and in the same compartment there was a receptacle from the genny, and a second receptacle from the shore cord. You had tro manually plug in the one you wanted to use.

Most motorhomes have automatic transfer swtiches to switch between shore and genny power.

What about the air conditioning. microwave, etc. Does any of that work on both genny and shore?
there is a power cable rolled up in the shoreline receptacle compartment, maybe thats the genny cord? Didnt even dawn on me even after monte's advise. Heres hoping? A/C works like a champ on shoreline, need to test the others tomorrow. Thanks again!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
A 99 Gulfstream probably will not have an inverter so you probably won't get TV without being on shore or gen power. As far as on gen, as others mentioned check the breakers as the gen should feed all the circuits in the motor home.
I have a 2002 and as noted above there is no inverter (12V DC to 110 AC). Gen or shore power to run that sort of 'stuff.' That said, a flipped breaker is in there somewhere would also be my guess. For Jollies you probably have several 'marine style' breakers,' flip them all to off then back to on.

Amazing the amount of wiring that's inside of one of these Class A's. The 110 is pretty straight forward stuff ... the 12V system .... let's not even get started there?

ANYONE ever had five cents worth of luck getting a wiring diagram for their unit?

Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #17

All systems go. Plugged the (what I know now as the) generator cord into the shoreline receptacle and everything works fine. No inverter, no transfer switch, no problem. Thanks everybody!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #18

If you suspect breakers they should be turn to the off position completely then returned to the on position. Sometimes they appear to be on but have really tripped and you have to switch them compeletly off then back on especially if they look like the ones in your home panelboard. I hope that helps.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
nubber, my '02 NRV Dolphin is exactly as yours is. I manually plug the power cable into a receptacle when I want to use the genny. I don't find it to be any inconvenience. I can't think of a time when I needed to automatically switch. I know when I'm gonna need the genny. It stays plugged in there until I have hookups, when I unplug it and plug it into shore power. When we leave, I unplug it from shore power, and plug it back into the genny receptacle. No problem.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
nubber, my '02 NRV Dolphin is exactly as yours is. I manually plug the power cable into a receptacle when I want to use the genny. I don't find it to be any inconvenience. I can't think of a time when I needed to automatically switch. I know when I'm gonna need the genny. It stays plugged in there until I have hookups, when I unplug it and plug it into shore power. When we leave, I unplug it from shore power, and plug it back into the genny receptacle. No problem.
Hey, Ramblin man. Simple set-up for a simple guy going back and forth to the drag strip boondocking. I guess atleast no possible exspensive inverter or transfer switch repairs? Next time maybe?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #21
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
All systems go. Plugged the (what I know now as the) generator cord into the shoreline receptacle and everything works fine. No inverter, no transfer switch, no problem. Thanks everybody!
Man I have NEVER heard of that. Learn something new every day. I wouldn't have even thought to look at that.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
I don't think that is a generator cord, it sounds like the PO installed a dual power adapter on a 30 amp rig. This gives you two separate systems, a 30amp line and a 20 amp line.

I installed a dual power adapter on my 30a Gulfstream, it may be similar to yours. In the attached photo the yellow cord is used for shore power and the short black cord must be plugged in to use genny power.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said it works on shore power.. But not on generator or inverter (Batteries)

Ok... Strange..

Now, first: A television mounted where the driver can see it, BY LAW, must have an ignition interlock, if the motor (the one that moves you down the road) is on, the TV is off. that simple. But I get the "Feeling" as it were this is not your problem

In your coach is one or more "Transfer switches" thiese ar emost likely automatic they choose if the TV runs off inverter, shore or generator power

First let's discuss the inverter problem.. Sure you got one? Not all rigs are so equipped.

IF you do check the unit for circuit breakers,, Might be tripped.

Now the generator.. It too has circuit breakers, usually 2, and one could be tripped.

If you do not find a tripped breaker on the inverter or generator, then you are going to have to chase it down and the transfer switch(es) is/are the first place(s) I'd check.

Page 2: I have also found many RVers have a few screws loose.. One of the screws in my breaker box too over two full turns before it started to snug down. I have had power plugs (Well the outlet end of the power cord) fall off in my hand because the factory never tightened a single screw inside. And these are just the problems I have seen with my own eyes.. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL RV SERVICE TECHNICIAN.. I just help folks in need. (Or work on my own house).

I had loose screws on the power INLET in this rig as well.. Thankfully the cord was good.

Tags
power