Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #1

new moho owner, no power to t.v....

Hello, hopefully a stupid question, LOL. Getting around to figuring out all the systems on this class A 99 gulfstream. So far I can only get the television to operate on shoreline power. Won't turn on with the generator running or coach batteries? receptacle at the dinette is behaving in the same manner as well. The furnace operates as it should. Is there any controls I should be looking for or troubleshoot methods to try? All the breakers on the inverter appear on if that helps? Thanks allot as I shakedown this rig.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully this isn't a stupid answer... but is the TV located where the driver can see it and has the ignition key been turned on when you can't get it to operate?

Just a SWAG.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #3

Thanks Rick, i pulled the keys right out of the ignition after remembering reading about that scenerio. Still nothing. Thanks just the same! Say hi to the dogs.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

They're sleeping.....

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Is the generator powering everything else in the coach, like the microwave. You may have a tripped breaker on the generator. The generator will rub, but won't supply power.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #6

Do you have to manually plug your shore power plug into a female socket in the electrical bay to make the generator work? That's how mine works.
If not, it's likely a transfer switch problem. If it's not that, do you have a surge protector? They generally have a 2 minute delay between startup and when the electricity turns on.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #7

Don and Monte, I'll be sure to check your suggestions out after work today. I'll bump this up and hopefully get some guesses about the t.v. not running on 12v also. Perhaps it's tied to the gen-set, allthough I wouldn't think so? Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts, much appreciated!
Glen
Old 06-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Gen set may have more than one breaker (Mine has two) If just one has popped, some stuff will work, other stuff wont. Also, if you don't have an inverter, you won't be able to operate the TV on batteries.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have an inverter, it usually powers those items. Check the inverter to see if the breaker/fuse has been tripped. It is uaually a small switch on the inverter.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
A 99 Gulfstream probably will not have an inverter so you probably won't get TV without being on shore or gen power. As far as on gen, as others mentioned check the breakers as the gen should feed all the circuits in the motor home.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #11

Here's the power unit i've got... series 7300 magnetek 120-volt to 12 volt power converter. Making a bit more sense now. Like Michelb mentioned an inverter would be necessary for the tv with coach batteries I guess
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #12

OK,

Don,
No the microwave isn't runing off the genset either. The breakers on the genset are in the ON position as are the converter breaker switches. The hunt is on for the transfer switch. I guess these were optional as well?

Monte,
I'm kinda confused with the shorline needed to be plugged in for the genset to run the coach accessories? Does that complete a circuit or something? Where might there be a surge protector, sorry for the hassle guys.

Glen
Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
OK,

Don,
No the microwave isn't runing off the genset either. The breakers on the genset are in the ON position as are the converter breaker switches. The hunt is on for the transfer switch. I guess these were optional as well?

Monte,
I'm kinda confused with the shorline needed to be plugged in for the genset to run the coach accessories? Does that complete a circuit or something? Where might there be a surge protector, sorry for the hassle guys.

Glen
Some,,, Uh, "inexpensive" motorhomes just didn't have an automatic transfers switch. I looked at a Damon gasser like that. The coach had a 30 amp plug, and in the same compartment there was a receptacle from the genny, and a second receptacle from the shore cord. You had tro manually plug in the one you wanted to use.

Most motorhomes have automatic transfer swtiches to switch between shore and genny power.

What about the air conditioning. microwave, etc. Does any of that work on both genny and shore?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #14

Glen,
I'm not saying you have to plug in your electrical cable into the generator output...that's just how mine works. In many models, there is a transfer switch (a relay) that automatically selects shore power or generator power, depending which is on. A surge protector keeps your MH electrical system from getting fried by an incorrectly wired power pole in the campground. It usually sits in the electrical bay and has LED lights that tell you the status of the surge protector. It generally analyzes the incoming signal for a couple minutes before it turns power over to your electrical system. Most motor homes don't come with a surge protector...you have to install one. You can use the search function in the Google box at the top of the page to search the forum for a lot of info on this stuff. I think you have a few hours of reading awaiting you. Good luck!

Tags
power