Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Another suggestion:
If you are going to finance it then try to go thru a credit union, you get better rates usually thru them.
Also get pre-approved, this way you know for sure exactly how much you can spend, thou I would stay under the amount just because they usually say you can use more than you really should. Some places would rather you not do the work of getting per-approved cause if you don't you would end up using their finance company and would probably end up with a much higher interest rate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Another suggestion:
If you are going to finance it then try to go thru a credit union, you get better rates usually thru them.
Also get pre-approved, this way you know for sure exactly how much you can spend, thou I would stay under the amount just because they usually say you can use more than you really should. Some places would rather you not do the work of getting per-approved cause if you don't you would end up using their finance company and would probably end up with a much higher interest rate.
I went through dealer. They used Bank of West. 4.25%. Never checked my credit union. Thought that interest was pretty good.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
That is good for interest.
When we got ours 2 yrs ago it was at 3.9% but right now my CU is offering 3.25%. If it was a little less I might actually think about refinancing with the same amount of time left to get a little lower in payments but ours is not bad to begin with anyway so maybe I won't, lol.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #18

I would say check out some of the Coachmen DPs. I have a Sportscoach DP on a Freightliner chassis. Sleeps 5. Mine was under $80,000 used (07). They're out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrich View Post
Right now we just do long weekends. We hope sometime to go for longer periods of time. Looking for a class A with slides and sleeping for up to 4 adults and a child. Diesel would be nice but not sure if its necessary. New would be nice but not necessary. If used nothing older than say 2010 and probably 10000 miles or less. With so many makes and models to choose from really not sure which is the most bang for the buck. Looking to spend in the low 100,000.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #19

Add a couple years to age and country coach comes into play.

Top notch unit that will hold value more, and you will be proud to own.

Other high line DP area there too, they all hold up better than general gassers so the additional age is moot, inspect for quality and decide.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #20

We were thinking maybe a late model Sportscoach Cross Country
Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrich View Post
We were thinking maybe a late model Sportscoach Cross Country
I think you'll like the Cross Country.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #22

Ok, here's what I would look at if I were purchasing a new or used motorhome.

I really like Cummins engines, ok all you Cat guys and other makes, this is just my opinion. I've owned several, in Dodge 2500, 3500 and 2 freightliner FLD 120's that I put over 750000 miles on without a rebuild, no major engine failures.

Anyhoo, I would really look at the 6.7L Cummins engine and an allison trans. The 6.7 is an ISB engine which means that it is NOT a wet cylinder type. Cavatation is not a problem with these engines so you don't need to watch the SCA's.

My little 5.9L 300 HP in my old 2001 Expedition gets 10.5 to 12+ MPG I believe that more than makes up for the added price of diesel, and the maintenance of the diesel engine. Course I change my own oil and preform the maintenance.

A gas engine, usually a Ford V-10 will get you between 6.5 and 9 MPG, at least that's what I got with the one in my old Mirada. The Workhorse with the big Chevy V-8 would be my choice in a Gas, it has a lower rpm and you will be able to talk without YELLING when pulling up a mountain

Now again these are my experiences, oh yes the Workhorse chassis that I owned was in a 2002 Pace Arrow, loved it, the Mirada V-10 a 2000 not so much, my 2001 Expedition by Fleetwood love it. Looking for a new Foretravel just as soon as I hit the Lottery

Now a place to poke around is here:

Diesel Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

You should find something in your price range.

They also have gas units just go back to the home page.
In any case, Happy trails, be safe
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #23

I would prefèr a dp so many have the cummins engine, so it must be good. I have had and still have a Dodge diesel so I don't have to be sold on it. Keep going back and forth between new gas and used diesel, keep leaning towards DP for many reasons.

Tags
purchase