Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #1

New motor home purchase suggestions

Looking to purchase our first motor home. Any suggestions on a decent entry level coach. Brand, options etc. want Something that sleeps at least four, maybe one that has the bunk over the drivers area. Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
billrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #2

A little more information would help. What do you plan to do, weekends, long trips, do you want slides, etc. New or used, Class A or C, length would help. No matter what the layout will be the major determination.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
A little more information would help. What do you plan to do, weekends, long trips, do you want slides, etc. New or used, Class A or C, length would help. No matter what the layout will be the major determination.
Price range is going to be a major factor also.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #4

Right now we just do long weekends. We hope sometime to go for longer periods of time. Looking for a class A with slides and sleeping for up to 4 adults and a child. Diesel would be nice but not sure if its necessary. New would be nice but not necessary. If used nothing older than say 2010 and probably 10000 miles or less. With so many makes and models to choose from really not sure which is the most bang for the buck. Looking to spend in the low 100,000.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #5

Do an "advanced search" on RV Trader and you will find all the RV's out there for sale with your criteria. You can even limit the distance from where you live. Check out PPL in Houston; they have very good used RV's
esfritzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

Thanks. Trying to get people's thoughts on brands and models and the quality of them.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just bought a 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J. We have not yet taken an overnight trip in it but a few day trips so far. Winnebago has a strong heritage and unmatched quality in the class A gas category. At 35 feet with two slides, bunk beds and a king bed we think we will be quite comfortable.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Everyone has their own idea on what brand or layout is best.
We have a 1993 Monaco with a side aisle and no slides that MIGHT sleep 4.
Our neighbor has a TT with no slides and is actually looking for a large toy hauler so he can haul his race car and stuff around.

Go to every show and dealer around and go inside everyone you can. Pretend like you are doing things in them. If they have slides make them put the slides in to see what it's like while on the road. If you hate the layout you will not want to use so make sure you like that first. If it's class c's and a's you are looking at then take them for a drive so you can feel what they feel like on the road.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrich View Post
Looking to purchase our first motor home. Any suggestions on a decent entry level coach. Brand, options etc. want Something that sleeps at least four, maybe one that has the bunk over the drivers area. Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
My problem with RVs has been warranty service. Jayco warranties for 2 years but you may have to go back to your dealer to get it. I just bought a new Monaco. So far they have taken very good care of me on the road. Monaco & Holiday Rambler is now owned by Navistar. They have a 24 hr number. They will guide you to nearest dealer that can handle the problem. If looking for new MH make your bid of 25 to 30% off list msrp.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #10

Once again, thsnks for the input. We plan on viewing as many as we can. Houng to a show this weekend. Haven't driven any yet, that's yet to come v
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
For you price range and year, you're probably gonna be in a gas unit. Not a bad thing.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #12

Which ever coach you decide to purchase, try to negotiate the inclusion of an extended warranty for at least one year. I got a two year Good Sam gold plan at about $ 1000 per year, which has already paid for itself. This will give you peace of mind that you are not going to get hit with a major expenditure. Be prepared to spend of $ bringing your coach up to specs with a change in your oil, transmission, coolant, brake fluids, etc. Unless you have impeccable maintenance records, take nothing for granted. Consider changing out the CO, LP and smoke detectors to be on the safe side. It is a relatively small investment but you'll know that you've got protection.
esfritzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrich View Post
Once again, thsnks for the input. We plan on viewing as many as we can. Houng to a show this weekend. Haven't driven any yet, that's yet to come v
Just a suggestion. I went to several dealers. Found out what my trade was worth. After 6 months and finding exactly what we wanted we didn't talk money. Just looked at dealer offer & msrp. 2 weeks later I called & made offer on phone. About 28% less msrp ,
& subracted my trade. I told him to give a call if he was interested that there were a couple other dealer units I was interested in. Keep call short no bargining on phone. He called back within 24 hours. Got it much lower than show price.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #14

Good suggestions. Thanks

Tags
purchase