Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
We will be full time starting in July.Since we retired in Arkansas and had a blank bill of sale,we chose Ar .Just got a P.O. box change to on line bill pay,for dish,insurance,etc..
Not sure how this will work out,but keep you posted.
Arkansas has a personal property tax that you have to pay to renew your license plates. It's due in October and you're always paying a year behind you. If you sold a vehicle 1/2/14, the personal property taxes are due 10/15--almost 2 years after it was sold.

Do yourself a favor and just go for Texas documentation for yourself, your taxes and your cars/RV's.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #16
Here is an article about the Montana LLC that some RVers use to title their motorhomes:
What About Using A Montana LLC To Avoid Sales Tax?
The article also details that some RVers are using the Montana LLC to avoid paying the hefty sales tax and other fees. You should be aware that cash strapped states are filing legal actions against those Montana LLCs that are just scams to keep from paying fees to the actual home state--the link details some of them.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida

flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by foodsman View Post
I've heard about a Montana LLC, selecting Florida, Texas or South Dakota as permanent state of record etc. But what about the state I live in now North Carolina?

If I no longer own or rent property in NC and I'm traveling the US, i'm no more a NC resident! I have no ties there what so ever including an address. So do I understand things correctly?

Because I have no permanent address anywhere in the US, is Florida, Texas and South Dakota the only states I can claim as my permanent record?

Thanks for your help,

I had an LLC on my first coach back in '05. I had to drop it on my second coach because I could not get insured as a full-timer and there were other restrictions. Also, the Montana State Attorney filed suet against the state for allowing rvers to register LLC's as tax shelters. I don't know where that went.

I think Rick O covered most of the points of importance. I am with SD now. With a SD residency you don't have to pay property tax with a campground address and there is no income tax. Sales tax from another state is recognized and only the difference, if any, is payed when registering. Some counties have a wheel tax. I am with Your Best Address in Sioux Falls and I am very pleased with them. The annual fee is reasonable and there are no hidden costs. I was with America's Mailbox and I felt like I had a drain in my wallet. Another plus to Sioux Falls is, when renewing your plates you can do it with a credit card. This is not the case out of Rapid City. (This may have changed.)

The registration is not cheap in SD. I payed $439 for this coach for the year. I don't recall for the car but it was not much. The plus is that you don't have annual inspections or need a special drivers license as with TX and some other states, determined by weight.

A trip to SD is a great vacation. But that is true of most places. I hope all this info helps for your needs to be met. Happy trails and many of them.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #18
First I want to thank all of you for your information. There are so many different reactions I thought I'd check with a lawyer friend.

I feel like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking-chairs but let me tell you what I found out. I live in North Carolina and as such I pay any and all taxes associated with my living here. If I’m living here and get an LLC so I don’t pay NC taxes I believe that is wrong and I would not consider it under any circumstances.

However, If I sell my home and physically leave NC, as far as I’m concerned I’m not beholden to North Carolina or its rules and taxes. I’ve lived in other states other than NC and each time I left them the same thing is true. I’m no longer regulated by their laws. Just like a traffic ticket, I get a ticket in Wyoming, I’m bound by their laws not NC.

I will most likely set my domicile in Florida so I contacted a friend of mine there who’s a lawyer. Yes you can have a friend who’s a lawyer, just so you pay to see them and never beat them in golf. I asked him to check the rules and regulations for me and tell me if there is a “LEGAL” life between the Montana LLC and a Florida domicile and here’s what he found out.

1. Go to Florida and set up a mail forwarding addresses/domicile and get your Florida drivers license.
2. Leave the state of Florida and keep records of out of state RV parks, fuel bills etc.
3. Set up the Montana LLC while out of state.
4. Buy your vehicle out of state and get the Montana title and license plates. You are then 100% legal.
5. If you stay out of Florida 6 months or more and come back to the state. If you want to switch to Florida plates, you can do so with absolutely not tax implications and it is all 100% legal.

There seems to be disagreement on the forum between what is moral and what is legal. This is at least the LEGAL part! If anyone wants to send money to help defray legal fees that would be fine with me. He’s a friend buts he’s also a lawyer!

foodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #19
That's kind of like the difference between illegal and unlawful...... Unlawful is against the law, illegal is a sick bird......lol. Unfortunately by skirting around the sales tax issue you are causing others that do it right to pay part of your share also or go without the services they deserve. When I bought my motorhome in AZ and then titled it in CA where I live I ended up paying tax on the entire sale even though I had paid tax on the trade in prior to that. It cost me $13k in tax that I wasn't happy about but no one can come back to me and say that I cheated the system. IMHO.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New motorhome but what state?

I looked at that Montana LLC thing a few years ago when coach shopping, and passed. I was raised in a family full of lawyers, and my Dad told me the first and most important legal test is always the smell test. Stay away from any deal that just doesn't smell right. There's a very fine line between tax avoidance, which is legal, and tax evasion, which is not, and with the IRS and most state tax agencies you are presumed guilty unless you can prove your innocence. (Its not supposed to be that way, but that's the reality.) Even if you're in the right it can cost you tens of thousands $$$ to defend yourself. As Dad said, if it doesn't pass the smell test, stay far, far away from the line.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Being from Massachusetts I HAD to move out of state to be an RVer. The income tax and annual luxury tax on the coach would have left me unable to travel. That is not why I am doing what I do. At this point I don't know how an LLC is beneficial. All of the insurance companies I qualify with would not cover the LLC. Why do an LLC if it does not benefit your RVing life?

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote