Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

New motorhome but what state?

I've heard about a Montana LLC, selecting Florida, Texas or South Dakota as permanent state of record etc. But what about the state I live in now North Carolina?

If I no longer own or rent property in NC and I'm traveling the US, i'm no more a NC resident! I have no ties there what so ever including an address. So do I understand things correctly?

Because I have no permanent address anywhere in the US, is Florida, Texas and South Dakota the only states I can claim as my permanent record?

Thanks for your help,

Harry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #2

I believe South Dakota is the easiest. That is where we are out of. Just set up mail service there. We went there and got our drivers licenses and all that was required was the receipt from the campground along with current license and another form of ID. If you have the gold star on your license you don't need the other form of ID. All our vehicles are registered there also

I don't think you can set up residence in NC without an address and I've never heard of mail forwarding services in NC. Might be able to do it witha UPS mailbox.

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

I guess my question is, since I am attached to no state as a full timer. Why can't I choose Wyoming or Arizona or Indiana?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodsman View Post
I guess my question is, since I am attached to no state as a full timer. Why can't I choose Wyoming or Arizona or Indiana?
You can choose any state you want, but you need to go through the steps required to make that state your official domicile. Get your drivers license there. Register to vote. Get a mailing address (mail service or similar). Possibly register your vehicles there. Etc.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
I've heard about a Montana LLC, selecting Florida, Texas or South Dakota as permanent state of record etc. But what about the state I live in now North Carolina?

If I no longer own or rent property in NC and I'm traveling the US, i'm no more a NC resident! I have no ties there what so ever including an address. So do I understand things correctly?

Because I have no permanent address anywhere in the US, is Florida, Texas and South Dakota the only states I can claim as my permanent record?

Thanks for your help,

Harry
You can establish residency in any state that you chose, but you have to chose one.

Here's the Escapees RV Club's website. Click on the link "How to Become a Real Texan" (Just under "Booklets") for instructions on establishing residency in that state.

https://www.escapees.com/MailService/Forms.aspx

Some people chose Texas or South Dakota, etc. because there is no state income tax there. That may or may not be the most important factor to you.

There are a lot of ways that states can tax you so you have to look at the overall tax structure to determine which state is best for your particular situation. This is a very good reference for determining the taxes in different states:

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees-Kiplinger
Old 06-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New motorhome but what state?

Quote:
You can. You can choose any state you want, including DC, as long as that state will accept a mail forwarder as your permanent domicile address. That's where the limitations come in-- that, and your personal responsibilities. If you choose to domicile in a state that levies personal income tax, you'll be liable for that tax even if you never set foot in the state through the year. If you choose to domicile in a state with exorbitantly high vehicle insurance rates, you'll have to pay those rates, even if you never set foot in the state through the year. You see where I'm going.

The reason so many fulltimers choose TX, SD, or FL is that these three states optimize the advantages for nomadic fulltimers.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
But what about the state I live in now North Carolina?.....
Thanks for your help,Harry
If you are now a resident of North Carolina, I believe you remain a resident of North Carolina until you establish residency in another state. (taxes, registration, license, voting)
This may help: Changing State Residency - A Guide for the RV Owner
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Another reason people like South Dakota is that there's no special driver's license needed for Class A motorhomes.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:20 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Your insurance premium will likely be lower in S. Dakota versus Florida and probably Texas. You will just have to compare and weigh that info into your decision. We chose Florida for family reasons and because that was likely where we would stop when we finally need to quit this wonderful lifestyle.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:54 AM   #10

You can use NC if you choose to, you do have to have a street address, that is true in any state, not just a box #, UPS, mail boxes can handle that., all counties in a state does not have the same personal property tax rate., check out Carteret co., vehicle inspection is also needed. Insurance can change a lot from state to state., as mentioned Fl and Tx.. Google tax by state., and then look at each county for local taxes..
Good luck
Old 06-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We will be full time starting in July.Since we retired in Arkansas and had a blank bill of sale,we chose Ar .Just got a P.O. box change to on line bill pay,for dish,insurance,etc..
Not sure how this will work out,but keep you posted.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
paz

Quote:

Thanks for your help,

Harry
You can choose any state you want, but the 3 you mention are the most popular because none of them has state income tax and all 3 make it relatively easy to establish residency. All 3 have mail forwarding services that are recognized by the state as being valid for drivers licenses and vehicle registration.

Each state has advantages and disadvantages with respect to sales tax on new vehicles, vehicle insurance costs, vehicle registration costs, lack of vehicle inspection, lack of special licensing requirements for driving RVs, health insurance availability and cost, etc. Investigate all the issues before making a decision.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
SD and TX make it easy to establish residency. FL used to but some people posted that the new Homeland Security requirements made it difficult to get a drivers license. TX has a new requirement that if not changed will require a return to the state each year for an inspection sticker before you can get new plates. SD and TX (Livingston) will relieve you from jury duty. I don't know about FL. SD will give you a six month (or maybe a year) extension on driver license renewal so you don't have to go there in the dead of winter.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
We recently moved from NC due to personal property taxes. Extremely high on the MH plus personal income tax. We now reside in FL. Acquiring a drivers license can be done but you'll have to be proactive as to having all the necessary documentation for DMV. Best to check the DMV website for all requirements. Fl does recognize mail forwarding addresses such as UPS boxes. You'll need to have your physical address, the UPS P.O. Box will have a street number, marriage license, birth certificate,original not a copy or a certified copy, plus some type of proof of residency. Here's the catch, water deposit, elec, gas or something similar. I'm sure there are ways to circumvent this requirement as people do it daily. Also, your coach needs to be from NC and tagged their for at least six months or you'll probably pay FL sales tax! We inadvertently stumbled into a positive position as we stayed in NC for those six plus months till the bill for personal property arrived. a simple stay at a CG for a month that requires you to place a deposit on elec. would suffice IMO? We love it in FL and are excited. Well be moving to an RV community and building a small S/B home. BTW no need for vehicle inspection.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome