Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Wink New motorhome delivery

My husband and I expect to take deliver of our new motorhome at the end of next week. We are moving from a 2008 34' 5th wheel into a 2013 43' motorhome and the dealer is encouraging us to stay at their place for a couple of days. We're talking about a parking lot in the middle of an industrial park! One of our favorite campground is approximatley 45 minutes away. I expect there to be many differences between a 5th wheel and a motohome. Both my husband and I have been doing research on various motorhomes and systems for several months now, in addition to reading through thousands of posts on this website, we have watched a whole series of "how to" videos and have several friends who own motorhomes even got one of them to go look at a used motorhome with us. I've printed out a PDI sheet and some other valuable lists form this website. I'm more than happy to spend most of the day there, just not sure it's necessary to camp there for a couple of days? Is anyone willing to share their delivery story? Did you stay at the dealer for a few nights? Did you head out to your favorite camping spot? Did you take it home and hang out? Thoughts and opinions on this would be greatly appreciated
Tamatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would stay within proximity of the dealer for a few days - not necessarily in their lot. Go over EVERYTHING with a FINE TOOTH COMB!!!! Make a checklist from fron to back, top to bottom, side to side, room by room. No detail is too small to overlook.
MagnJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We spent three days at the dealer when we picked up our brand new (in 2009) motorhome. This was our first mh so we had a lot to learn. We also found many things that needed to be fixed and it was nice to have a tech come out to the mh to fix the minor ones and then be able to pull into a bay for others. If they have full hookup there I would stay. I would also spend the time operating every system to the max. Now is the time to get everything running right.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #4

I would also suggest takig a video camera for the PDI. That way you can look back and see what you have forgotten. I would stay at least one night in their lot and if there are no problems then go to your favorite CG. If there are problems I would stay there until they are all fixed. Good Luck and Enjoy that MH.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I would stay in their lot unless I felt it was unsafe at night. There will likely be things that you find wrong in a new rig and having the dealer right there to investigate and correct is all but priceless. Once you drive off the lot, even 45 minutes away, you lose that and have to schedule a service appointment and demonstrate the problem again to get something done.

The dealer is offering you something very valuable - I would try hard to take advantage.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our dealer had 6 full hookup sites and not a campground feel at all. But suggested we stay a couple nights or more if we felt we needed to. First day we did the walk through and see a few items that needed attention. After the walk through we put it on a site hooked to the full hookup and started a list, every time we found any thing that didn't seem right to us we wrote it down. Either our salesman or the service manager came out to the site about once every hour or two to see if every thing was ok. Whatever we had on the list they would send a person out to fix or adjust. In two days we had a total of 37 items they had fixed of adjusted for us. The service manager ask if we felt we wanted to stay longer and we said yes one more night. One more night lead to another night and a total of 46 items they fixed or adjusted over our stay. We ended up with a couple items that had to be ordered and would take several days to reach the dealer so we left and went home. When the items came in we returned to the dealer and stayed on a site over night so they could get 4 more things we had added to the list plus replace the needed items. We live just over 200 miles from our dealer, so for us it worked out great.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #7

Stay, period.
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Agree with Gary, stay in the lot for a couple of days to check everything. Unless it is unsafe.

Most dealers want you to leave the lot ASAP. If I was sitting there, and my to do list was not being adressed by service, I might have to share that with prospective customers looking around.....they don't want that.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree, STAY. My delivery took 5 hours, it was a used MH, but still, I wish I had scheduled the time to stay with them for a couple of days. Once you drive off the lot, everything is subject to schedules, etc, etc.

I agree with the other posters here, you should absolutely try to stay...
Old 08-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #10

It's great you are have a close check out camp but don't forget the check out drive you can find as many things wrong driving as you can parked. I would ask them even to show you how to check all fluids were all the filters are and water dump valves for air tanks.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
What did you buy? And yes, stay there until you have tested each item and feature. Test each TV on every program source, satellite, OA antenna, and DVD for example. Also every switch on every panel.

Dave
Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #12

Great offer by the dealer. Take them up on it. Sounds to me that they want you to thoroughly understand your coach before you leave.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we took delivery of our present DSDP we moved stuff over in the lot. Found stuff that needed fixing. Dealer told us to make a list and they'd fix it later.
Problem was, we found rock chips in the front, it was on the list I gave them BEFORE we left the lot. When we brought it back they told us once we left the lot they would not fix any paint chips. I pointed out that they had the list I left them BEFORE we left the lot and it was on there. Still no go.
At least they're no longer a Newmar dealer, in fact they're no longer in business!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
When we took delivery of our present DSDP we moved stuff over in the lot. Found stuff that needed fixing. Dealer told us to make a list and they'd fix it later.
Problem was, we found rock chips in the front, it was on the list I gave them BEFORE we left the lot. When we brought it back they told us once we left the lot they would not fix any paint chips. I pointed out that they had the list I left them BEFORE we left the lot and it was on there. Still no go.
At least they're no longer a Newmar dealer, in fact they're no longer in business!
I guess that everybody has figured out why they are no longer in business!
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome