Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #15
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
You all have very good points of view. I kind of knew what I was getting into, I also knew that I was able to handle most repairs myself. I have had several boats on Biscyane Bay in Miami when I was in my 30s. Boats are floating RVs, maybe even worse. One of my boats had two 350 Chevys on Merc outdrives. So you have double the problems to fix when salt water takes it's toll on everything. We stay at a lot of Ocean side state parks in CA. When I get back I wash the whole coach and it's underside to get the salt water mist off. The problem is, I do like quality and I have a high standard for perfection. I'm not sure any coach comes without problems. I ran into a retired professional drag racer in San Diego last year. His name is Larry Minor. He had a 45 foot Newell parked next to me. He told me his coach listed for $1.7mil and he paid $1.2mil. Awesome RV, but he said the same things you guys said. They all come with problems. I am having a great time and I like fixing things, so it sounds like I'm right at home. Thank you all for you input.
Thanks for the update
Many posters are not that considerate.

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #16
I am the only person capable of fixing anything

Seriously it seems every time a professional works on it I have to follow behind and do it correctly. I tired of paying good money or time (equally valuable) and not getting a professional result.

Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
humm just some thing to keep in mind

its hard to see .. but there are alot of posted on front caps moving windshields popping out

i am sure that its nothing but i would add some blue tap here and there with some lines on them and see if some things are moving that are not so post to

if this is not some thing seen and is new to your RV and are being pulled and pushed out that fast ... i think its some thing to look into
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #18
Good luck with the Loctite red. That stuff is PERMANENT......
DDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #19
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
while in principal I agree with the rest of the posters about fixing things yourself I am not in agreement with doing it under warranty. If you had nicked any wires when you put the molding down better it might be a heck of a job to get into that area to replace it or if you have something electrical such as a dash gauge that does not work you might not have realized that fixing the molding caused the problem. When you take it back under warranty for the repair and they find out that you did it by putting longer screws in and nicking the wire that whole repair bill just went to you. That is just an example but sometimes when you go to fix something that seems small it can be bigger than you expect. If you have worked on it at all that might invalidate your warranty. Companies will use any legitimate excuse to keep from paying a warranty repair and unless you are a certified mechanic working on it yourself will be a legitimate excuse.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #20
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
Motorhomes, Boats, Trailers, etc. All will need someone handy with their hands to keep the unit in good running order. Some manufacturers better than others. Welcome to the world of RV's as each unit is custom even from an assembly line.

Unless you're one of the very wealthy that hires their own crew to maintain it's up to you.
I am a crew of one!! lol.... Try to fix everything myself, with the help of the forums..
H.B. & Deb. Molly(spoiled Shih Tzu) , 06 Pace Arrow ,36D full slide , electric jacks , 04 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aventa II , 97 Harley Heritage.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #21
Never leave home without a small toolbox, portable drill, drills, assortment of screws, Teflon tape, electrical tape, 100 MPH duct tape, silicon seal and gun, jumper cables, spare light bulbs, a good credit card, lotsa cash, and a good wife to hold the parts in place so you can re-attach! Have fun while on the run.
Wingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #22
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've heard of people waiting three weeks for a switch. That won't be me, warranty or not
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #23
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree the more you know about your MH the better time you will have. Right after I bought mine I had to change out all the batteries and had a problem afterwards and I learned everything there is to know about it while I was troubleshooting it. I had a couple of other things that didn't work and I fixed all of those while I was at it. Same with the cable tv I traced each wire down and labeled where each one goes. I couldn't figure out why my fog lights didn't work and come to find out they were hooked up to the cig. lighter and I guess someone needed a fuse. That only took a day or two to figure out. Wasn't a fuse in it and we don't smoke so we never realized it didn't work. I also had a brake line break while pulling in the driveway. Wife said brakes aren't working then all of a sudden the grabbed. After I cleaned it up I went to move it and almost ran into my shop. My rig is 6 years old and after inspecting and repairing I had several rust spots in my brake lines and 2 went all the way through. Might be worth checking.

flangley is offline   Reply With Quote