Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #1

New motorhome jitters

I have decided to shop for a new motorhome. After doing a whole lot of research of different brands and the complaints from the new owners I have too say that I'm a little gun shy of the lessor expensive units due to the questionable quality control issues. I really can't afford to purchase the more expensive units so I'm in a little leary to say the least.
Any thoughts from the group? Take the leap and have patience?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Important thing is to find a floor plan you like and will be able to live with. IMO there are more folks who change units because the layout does not work for them. Also accessories. Do you want all electric, residential fridge, washer/dryer combo or stacked, aqua hot, bath & 1/2, etc.

Once you determine a floor plan and the accessories you want then start looking at models that fill the bill. Obviously the accessories will help determine the level you are looking at.

Try to avoid entry level models. Nothing wrong with them. They are generally built on the same assembly line by the same workers but there will be a difference in the quality of the materials and accessories that are included in the build.

An entry level built with composite materials will last a long time if taken care of. A higher end model will have real wood and with the same level of care will last longer.

IMO entry level units are totally acceptable. They will give you good service and you will enjoy yourself just as much sitting around the fire at the campground. If it keeps you warm and dry and is comfortable to sleep there is not issue.

If you want a higher end unit and are reluctant to commit that much money consider a used unit. Many say the used units are a better deal than new. Many of the new issues have been fixed and the major depreciation hit has been avoided.

A used unit that fits your floor plan and the options and colors you want may be more difficult to find than buying new. Persistence and patience will eventually get you a unit that is close or exactly what you want.

If you buy used you will have to do your due diligence to ensure you are getting a unit without a bunch of defects. There are a few units out there that are being sold because the owner has had a bunch of issues that they are unable to resolve. Have the unit inspected by a qualified rv tech who is not associated with the seller.

No matter what you chose to do every day you wait is a day lost if you decide to buy. If you decide to postpone the purchase until later you can always get into the game later.

Good luck with your decision and with your search.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:29 PM   #3

Keep in mind the number of MH's on the road, compared with the number of people on the forums! I would suspect that there are many satisfied MH's owners out there that never post on forums. While one can expect to have some 'issues' with a new MH, it helps to have a good warranty to help cover most of these. We have had both new and used MH's and for the most part they all had some 'issues' to deal with. Most of the expensive 'issues' that we encountered were covered under some form of warranty.
I have had good luck with the last two used MH's, and would look hard at a good used MH first, and then consider a new one.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodallg View Post
I have decided to shop for a new motorhome. After doing a whole lot of research of different brands and the complaints from the new owners I have too say that I'm a little gun shy of the lessor expensive units due to the questionable quality control issues. I really can't afford to purchase the more expensive units so I'm in a little leary to say the least.
Any thoughts from the group? Take the leap and have patience?
Thanks
It would be helpful if you could give the group an idea of what you are looking for and what your price range is. Then people can give you better advice as to what is out there. Also, what kind of brands you would be interested in and if you have any specific desires, ie; no older than 2007, must have 3+ slides, prefer diesel over gas, etc.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:50 AM   #5

You know about opinions there will be a lot of them my brands the best kinda thing. Basically I started with the chassis and worked off of it. There is no perfect MH doesn't matter if you spend a million dollars they all have problems. Whatever you decide check it out top to bottom and I can't stress this enough TEST drive on the freeway everywhere so you want be posting about it riding rough,swaying,noisy.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
rodallg - you have gotten the right advise. If you do follow, you may avoid purchasing another coach quickly. Calculate your funds, look for the right floor plan (couples coach, bunkhouse, toy hauler, etc), determine the gotta haves for furnishings (furniture, appliances, cabinet space, etc), determine the nice to have and then start price shopping. We have bought solely on price but have found service is as important.

So you want a great price with a solid service history. Because as mentioned earlier you WILL have things that need to be repaired. Please don't forget this service piece - or we will be reading about your perils of not having your coach because you will be in for repair. I'd recommend you ask folks on the IRV2 forums or on the coach forums after you narrow it down. If your seller doesn't have a solid service history, then make sure you have a plan. If you need reaffirmation on this service piece, read through this board.

We were lucky - great price - FANTASTIC service.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #7

What kind of Class As are you looking at? Gas or diesel? What general price range? How do you plan to use it? Short trips 4 to 6 times a year, lots of cross country trips?

We use ours a lot, but mostly trips less than 100 miles for weekend trips. So while I really appreciate the quality and features of the higher $ diesel pushers, my "entry level" Excursion has served us well in the few months we've had it. There have been quality control issues and we've been working with our dealer getting them resolved. The ride quality and things like coach sound levels are not up to the higher priced models, but it's not unbearable, doesn't really ruin our enjoyment and does not justify spending 2 or 3 x at this point in time.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #8

We went with the used option ... just for the reasons you stated ... there are a lot of higher end used coaches out there .... take your time and you'll find the one for you .... and we shopped for private sellers vs dealers ... tho we hit a lot of dealers. but generally just to look at coaches .....

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get what you can afford, just make sure it will meet your needs. Resale/trading in can be painful. Their is advantages to both gas and diesel units. Way you options and look, look and look until you find the coach...

Best of luck with your search. And remember , enjoy it.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Budget?
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #11

So after going a few places today and looking at some "entry" level RV's we stumbled upon the Fleetwood Southwind line and all I can say is that I can't look at the entry level ones now. I'm putting some numbers together to see if we can make it work. I currently have a 2000 model MH and will be either trading it in or selling out right. I like the cost of the lessor lines but now I'm not sure I wold be happy in the long run.Sure don't want to purchase and have regrets later on since its not something you buy every year and spending more money than I owe on my house.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #12

I have what many consider an entry level MH (2015 Thor Challenger 37ND). So what! It works for me and I like the floor plan. One thing I learned about later is repair facilities. Normally the dealer you bought from will be the only one to repair it under warranty. My original dealer was a good seven to eight hours away or longer depending on the traffic. But that was fine for me. I would just hit a camp ground half way there since I'm in no hurry. But I found one who is qualified to do repairs on my MH and will use him just to check him out (thank you google). And he's only three hours away. No more renting cars to get back home now since I have a place to stay in that city. And IMHO, stay away from campers world.

Also when you decide to buy make sure "everything" works prior to driving away. It might be a rush on you because of the purchase and excitement. But keep asking questions. Some recommend this before you sign on the dotted line. Dealers will normally let you camp at their business in your new purchase until everything is in working order. My dealer allowed us to use their cars free of charge so I could go shopping for items. We actually camped there for two days before leaving.

Once again make sure everything is working.

Happy driving and camping...Just keep it down the middle of the lane. And watch those sharp corner turns.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodallg View Post
So after going a few places today and looking at some "entry" level RV's we stumbled upon the Fleetwood Southwind line and all I can say is that I can't look at the entry level ones now. I'm putting some numbers together to see if we can make it work. I currently have a 2000 model MH and will be either trading it in or selling out right. I like the cost of the lessor lines but now I'm not sure I wold be happy in the long run.Sure don't want to purchase and have regrets later on since its not something you buy every year and spending more money than I owe on my house.
Looks like you don't need any advise thinking the long haul. I went thru 2 MH's before I figured it out.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #14

I buy them sight-unseen. That way it's like a second Christmas morning when I see what I have.

Seriously.

That said, there's a lot of Q&A going on back and forth before I pull the trigger.

Tags
motorhome