Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #15

Camp ground cost is 90% profit? I believe you miss the mark by a great margin. If their profit is 25% of their daily price I am sure they are very pleased.
Cost to build, maintain and operate a good camp ground is very, very steep.
Just my opinion.
CarlGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
I doubt I use anything close to $45-$50 a day in electricity...not even here in California. If a CG raises prices based on that criteria they are flat out lying. My guess is the cost of a stay at most camp grounds is 90% profit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
Camp ground cost is 90% profit? I believe you miss the mark by a great margin. If their profit is 25% of their daily price I am sure they are very pleased.
Cost to build, maintain and operate a good camp ground is very, very steep.
Just my opinion.
CarlGeo
I think we already covered that Carl, but thanks.

macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
My thoughts are that most campgrounds will be raising daily prices for all RV's to cover the extra electric use. I think some have already done that.

Or will need to raise price for a 50 AMP hook up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
I doubt I use anything close to $45-$50 a day in electricity...not even here in California. If a CG raises prices based on that criteria they are flat out lying. My guess is the cost of a stay at most camp grounds is 90% profit.

I can see it now double a tripple what they are gouging people for now.

While my DW and I were on Vacation this last July (4th of July week). We went to a campground that was basically a paved parking lot. No trees, not enough room for an awing much less a slide out. The RV's were stacked in there like a cord of wood ! About 10 blocks from the beach in Pismo.

They wanted $59.00 a day for full hook ups. No Wi-fi, No Cable.

We didn't stay there. Found a campground 3 miles down the road for much less that also had cable TV and Wi-Fi for $49.00 a day. Only problem the place we found was not with in walking distance of the beach.
Also not in the city of Pismo Beach.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I believe the thread is about new motorhomes rolling out now, not the cost or profitability of cg.

My sister and brother in law just bought a new mh all electric. Nice big frig. Their ft camping will occassionally include a night dry camping. So, all electric may work for them.

DW loves having a gas oven and three burners and I agree with her.

Dave
Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #19

We definitely like our residential fridge but we also like the flexibility of having propane on board as well. The boss and I hate cooking on an electric stove.
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I would rather have the propane option like I do now, especelly when it is cold and the heater is on most of the night.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
One of the salesmen at Pomona told me that new motorhomes don't have any drive off the lot depreciation because they are already marked way down. Did I believe him, NO WAY! I guess he told me that because I told him I wanted to buy used.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We replaced our RV fridge with a residential and the increased storage space and constant temperature control made that a no-brainer for us. Our coach has a Hurricane heater (like an Aquahot) which runs off diesel fuel. We primarily cook on a countertop induction burner which doesn't heat the coach and runs on 120V. Our only remaining propane appliance is our 2-burner cooktop which we could easily eliminate if it wasn't so much trouble to do it.

We don't boondock; even when we go to State or COE parks we get sites with at least electric hookups. As another full-timer couple told us, "we don't camp, we RV." That's the way we like to use our RV; I'm not saying it is better than anyone else's way of RVing.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #23

We have all electric. Our coach is 2002. We dry camp all the time and it works fine. We have auto generator turn on. A very good feature if dry camping in an all electric. We have 4 8D batteries and 12,500 generator. My guess is about 2 hours generator time is needed if you run everything. If you try and conserve you could likely get the generator down to 1 hour. Our previous coach had propane. I much prefer all electric. Yes the electric burners are slower than gas ones would be, but they also don't rattle and our last gas stove did.

I would think that a motor home not using air conditioning would use little power. With air conditioners on yes then a few bucks a day.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote