Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
6mm

New Newmar or

The wife and I are about to upgrade from our TT to a Class a pusher we have our heart set on a Newmar but what are the advanatages of getting a new truck and fifth wheel of high quality.
I have not owned either so I dont know the good or bad of both.
It just seems for the quality of a rig we are looking that a fifth and new heavy duty truck would save us some cash.
Thanks for you opinions.
Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #2

It just depends on what you want. Me I would go with the DP. Main reasons are . . . faster setup, can pull into rest area run gen, have lunch etc., we find it more comfortable while driving,wife can get up for snack,whatever. We owned a Newmar 5th and while it was nice it wasn't as easy as the DP.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
The wife and I are about to upgrade from our TT to a Class a pusher we have our heart set on a Newmar but what are the advanatages of getting a new truck and fifth wheel of high quality.
I have not owned either so I dont know the good or bad of both.
It just seems for the quality of a rig we are looking that a fifth and new heavy duty truck would save us some cash.
Thanks for you opinions.
Joe

Joe,
Did this last summer...here's two good reasons: One, SHE can get up and go to bathroom whenever she wants rather than tell you she needs to go about a mile after you pass a rest area. Shoulder of road takes time and is a little scary ever none and then. Second, she can fix you a hotdog, popcorn, etc as you drive down the road. The move to motorhome although more costly has made my wifes travel so much more pleasant (which means in the long run, I have less stress). She loves it and I like making her happy.
Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 6mm,
Welcome to iRV2. I've always had a class A coach (1978 was the first one). For me it comes down to how does one want to travel. One can travel in a DP with all the comfort and convenience or travel in a truck. I'll travel in the house and tow the sight seeing car.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
6mm

Thanks Guys those are all good replies and those are some of the reasons we want a DP.
Second question-I drive large trucks and love the idea of a tag axel but I notice most units with a tag axel might be longer than we want,Can you get a tag axel on a shorter unit.
Do tag axel units handle better or am I just worrying to much about a single axel not being good enough.
Joe
Old 08-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #6

We are just settling into our Newmar Dutch Star 3735 after hauling a 32 ft 5th wheel with a 2004 GMC Duramax dually. WE have had TT's and 5th wheelers for over 40 years. That 2004 Duramax did a super job of handling the fifth wheel even though it did not have an exhaust brake. We had absolutely no problems with the truck in over 100,000 miles (plenty of problems with the 5th wheel). Still had the original brakes when sold. Our combined weight was about 22500#. The 5th wheel had hydraulic disc brakes and automatic Big Foot levelers. I highly recommend both if you go the heavy 5er route.
I do find the DSDP is more relaxing to drive. The superior road view and 2 speed jake brake definitely help. We are now towing a gas motored 1/2 ton GMC extended cab with weighs about 5700#. The 37'11" MH home weighs 31640# (12260 on 14600 independent frnt axle and 19380# on 20000 rear axle) with the two of us, full fuel tanks, 1/2 tank of water, lots of food and all our stuff. Engine noise up front is almost nil. I have noticed that fewer state parks appear to be accessible to us now.
My navigator thinks the 5th wheel had more interior storage except for the closets in our floorplan. We think that the MH loses some interior space because the 2 extra slides (we now have 4) leave you with reduced height and depth cabinets. There is no comparison between the stability of a TT and a 5th wheel behind a properly rated dually or a MH.
While we know a very nice 5th wheel and a diesel dually pickup could be purchased for less than the MH, we are quite pleased with the build quality of our Dutch Star and the purchase and get-ready experience at Guaranty RV, Junction City, Oregon.
As Ranger Smith said the MH setup is faster unless you must unhitch/hitch a toad and the electric, water and sewer still have to be hooked up. It is nice to pull over at mid-trip for lunch or to park at night in bad weather and not have to even get out to go back to the 5th wheel.
It all comes down to a compromise. And are we not fortunate to have these great choices!? Good luck, see you down the road.
EZDZIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #7

For us it came down to choice of drive around vehicle. Any number of Jeeps or a 1 ton dually.

I like Jeeps.

Newmar does make 2 floor plans in a 40' tag.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
Thanks Guys those are all good replies and those are some of the reasons we want a DP.
Second question-I drive large trucks and love the idea of a tag axel but I notice most units with a tag axel might be longer than we want,Can you get a tag axel on a shorter unit.
Do tag axel units handle better or am I just worrying to much about a single axel not being good enough.
Joe
I have not had a tag axle MH, but when thinking of upgrading, it is in my plan. I just believe the ride would be much more stable. I recently looked at a new Dutch Star 40' with tag, beautiful coach. Sorry, do not remember model number. Good luck,
Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, you could look for a Newmar 5th wheel, have to be used now though as they quit making them earlier this year.

Started RV'ing in 1957, have had many TT's, then a Type A, then Type C and now Type A's. On our second Dutch Star. Just so much easier with the A's as the DW can get up and move around to get me a pop, go to the restroom, cats have more room to roam and the ride is nicer
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are looking at something between 39 & 43 feet. In the Newmar line tags start at 43'. The first thing we want to make sure is that we can load a single axle without having weight and balance issues. In general, we think that shouldn't be a problem even with a king bed and stacked washer dryer. We will definitely have any prospective RV weighed.

Some other considerations beyond pure weight are that:

1. In the Ventana line, you get a rear radiator even in the newer 43' models. All other lines are side radiators. GVWR for non-tags ranges from 28,000 to 32,000.

2. The Dutch Star line has side radiators and non-tags run at a hair over 32,000 GVWR. You get a longer wheel base with them also along with IFS.

3. Tags add 10,000 to the GVWR of both lines.

My gut reaction is that for what we do, we don't need a tag for weight and balance. We would only do that because of the floor plans. We think 39-40' is optimal for the most part. However, a nicely priced 43' DSDP could be tempting.

Clearly a tag axle adds stability going down the road. It also does increase space needed to maneuver. In some cases it might actually allow you to go onto roads with weight restrictions. We currently use a road to our home base CG with a 14 ton limit on 2 axles. We would need the tag to be legal for the models we are looking at. Along with stability goes 2 more tires and axles to maintain. It is a balancing act indeed.

I guess to answer your question, I think there were some older tag axles for shorter RVs but I don't think I have seen them on anything less than 40' in model lines I have been looking at. I'm not sure I would want the added weight of one for something that small either.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #11

Here are the tag and non tag for Newmar. First 2 numbers are length, last 2 are floor plan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	25021

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	25022
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Here are the tag and non tag for Newmar. First 2 numbers are length, last 2 are floor plan.

Yep, they really beefed up the weights 2013. The numbers I was referring to are in the 2005-2011 model years. Wish I could afford a 2013. Good luck with your new rig when you get it!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Under the new exemption for RV's to the Federal Bridge loading's they can now go up to 24,000#' on the drive axle without a tag.

Story on it in the FMCA magazine this month.

Also, having a rear radiator is a deal breaker for me.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
6mm

Ok Guys another dumb Question
I see comments about rear radiator,what is bad about that.
is it a weight or cooling issue???????

Joe

Tags
newmar