Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmystic1 View Post
Let’s be clear, you lose 40% or more the minute that you sign the papers on a new rig.
Never mind drive it off the lot.
You lose:
Manufacturers profit
Dealer profit
Transportation and delivery costs
Sales and registration taxes
Salespersons commission
Setup charges
That depends on WHAT you buy and what you pay for it. 40% off list maybe...

Coming up on 2-1/2 years on our coach, for which we paid 70% of sticker. Friends recently traded the EXACT same coach (model/age/miles/condition) in and got 88% of what I paid. And, it was NOT an inflated trade as they got their new one for 75% of list. As I had traded in quite a bit of $$ my taxes were not too bad.

You can get worse numbers buying a 2 year old at dealer retail prices.

It's all about getting a decent deal.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #72

Find a newer used quality 40 FT. DP.
I am in the same position and found a 2016 Tiffin Phaeton with 3200 miles in sept. 2018.

well kept for around 200K.
Like brand new, but saved about 100k over buying new.
Good luck they are out there.
ariabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckie View Post
Retiring soon, looking to buy a DP 40 or above. We will snow bird in the winter months. Want to stay around 180.000.00 price range. Do I buy new or used? I figure if buy new it will be worth something in ten years verses buy used and ten years it will be worth much. Only want to do this once all advise is appreciated.
Buy used we have been driving a 2002 Monaco Windsor for over 5 years and love it. Find one that you fall in love with if you plan on it being the "only" one you will buy. In spite of checking every RV show available, I have not found one I love more than ours. Yes, I would like another bathroom, and would not mind another slide or two...but this one truly suits our needs just fine
soberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #74

I am in the same position as you.
Find a well cared for used.

I found a 2016 Tiffin Phaeton 40 ft. with 3200 total miles for under 200k. in Sept 2018.
with an extended warranty until 2022
Saved about 100k. over a new 2018

The extended warranty can be purchased from most dealers and some banks provide them if you are financing.

Take your time looking, you will find the right rig

Good luck
ariabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #75
TTD

The experience below is pretty much mine exactly... except I went with a 2008 Country Coach (bought it in Jan 2018). With all my maintenance and upgrades, I am still under $200k for a rock solid coach and engine (I also have the ISM500).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmiester View Post
Bought a 2009 Monaco Dynasty and love it. We were prepared to put 50 grand into it if we had to and we'd still be nowhere near half a million.
Purchased so far;
2 new front tires
4 new 8D AGM house batteries
4 new 4D AGM chassis batteries
Washer and Dryer
Dishwasher
New AM/FM fancy radio (that I still can't figure out how to work)
Tow bar and brake set up for the toad

Only the tires and batteries had to be replaced. Everything else is just upgrading. After all that we are still under $180k. We have a rock solid coach built in Coburg, Oregon. 45 foot, tag axle, ISM500 (no dpf or def).

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:28 AM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Lots of great advise here for you.

If staying in a 180k budget you will certainly appreciate the value in having a used rig.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Used. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Also, they can go thru it and fix everything that is wrong, which is usually the case. Also make sure you know how to repair stuff.
JMCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:42 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
As I’ve posted before, I was not impressed with the quality of the new rigs I looked at confirming I did not want a overpriced new one. There is a little more $$$ about the new/used cost/debate. Using $400K new and $150K used and average costs:
Sales tax that most have to pay. $24K or $9K
Some states treat a RV as personal property: $2000 or $750/year.
Insurance is harder to quantify so maybe $3000 or $2000 every year.
Interest, hopefully you are not paying BUT at 4% $16K or $6K.
While some do not consider depreciation an expense but it’s in the range of $16K or $8K/year.
Granted these # are averages and not paid by everyone but you get the idea.
Actually I’m only spending my kid’s inheritance since I bought used but I like the reaction I get with this one on the back of my “new” ride. Buying new may qualify.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Sales of new RVs have dropped -40% because, it's widely believed on the RV horror story threads I follow because of the insanely poor quality of new builds. Much of this caused by one company that owns several brand names and types of RVs. Including some older names that use to mean quality. Airstream is an example. Thor is widely blamed for the tanking of quality the last few years.

Buy used.
No sales drop for Newmar. The 2018 production run was completely sold out to their dealers at the model year introdution meeting. I read that they increased production 10%!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #80

No 40% for the industry period. -5% projected for 2019 after two record years.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #81

Buy New or Used?

If you buy a $180,000 new coach the depreciation in 5 years will rock you.

If you buy a used coach built by one of the top manufactures for a $number you can afford you will have a much better constructed coach and it will hold it's resale value better in addition to being a much sought after coach when you try to sell or trade.

Do some shopping with your eyes wide open. Most people who have purchased a top of the line coach have the financial resources to care for it properly and many store them off season in enclosed structures.

It's not hard to find a 10 year old Class A that has ben driven south each fall then back north each spring. Maybe 4,000 miles each year (40,000 miles total)

A number of these coaches only change hands as the original owners come off the road due to a change in life style.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #82

Used

As A RV Technician and a RV Inspector I recommend buying used, something around 2 years old, It will more then likely have most of the warranty work done and the bugs worked out of it and you won't loose as much when you drive it off the lot. I also highly recommend a pre-purchase inspection, new or used to help ensure your not buying a money pit.
Parish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #83

I would never pay more than $80,000 or so

In 2007 I bought a used 2000 Newmar Dutch Star 300HP Cat Diesel for $80,000. I sold it in 2010 and moved to Germany for 3 years. I came back and wanted a Motorhome last year (2018) and oddly enough the same MH was for sale again so I bought it again for $30,000.While it's showing it's age it is adequate for me
My point is there are a lot of used Motorhomes out the for less money. I know I could find a great MH for $80,000 or less.
Mutant60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #84

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
If you focus on the quality and not the age - you would be amazed at what you can find in the $90k to $130k range. I am talking Alpine, Country Coach, Travel Supreme, Monaco - just to name a few. Generally, the people who buy these types of coaches take very good care of them and often keep them in covered storage.