Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #85

Class A, 5er, boat, no matter. Get a respected builder that is only a few years old & had the bugs worked out of it. Let somebody who simply must have new eat the huge depreciation of the first few years.

Do your research first. Have a real good idea of which builder & which model fits your needs best. Make your first one your last one. Don't but a mistake just because somebody offered such a deal on a model that you did not really want. You will regret it.

All of them need love & attention. Best if you are the handy type person. Most problems are simple. YouTube is your friend.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
If you focus on the quality and not the age - you would be amazed at what you can find in the $90k to $130k range.
Why have a price range at all? Used is used!

It is like sending out engraved invitation to be robbed.

Something is only worth what somebody else will pay for. I would rather have a used Corolla than a new Mercedes. Why? Because it is a more reliable car. Why did I buy a new Corolla? Because people sell Corolla knew what people would pay for them; therefore, for me a new one was better value.

The trick is to keep emotion out of decision process.

We loved our $9k HR. And why not?

Love our current HR that we paid less than $30k. And why not?

Quality stands the test of time. The roof will last forever. High miles is not a factor with a diesel. My cabinets are still beautiful.

The second trick is not let folks selling you stuff make you unhappy. For example, that 'outdated' frig will not keep ice cream hard. Good, I do not have to put the ice cream in the micro wave to scoop it out of the package.

The point here there are important criteria that makes your RV a home. A washer/dryer is nice. But may not be for other people.

So you may find just what you like for $40k or maybe you are up $179999 before you find what you like. Just keep looking.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #87

One of the most important things to keep in mind. The FLOORPLAN!!! You have to love it or you'll hate it every day you're in it. Until you spend some time living in it, you won't know. Buying used will give you a little more freedom if you need to sell and buy the floor plan you want. We have a front galley, which we thought we didn't want. Turns out, we love it and would never buy a mid-galley coach. I have to admit luck was part of our purchase, since we now have some things that at first we didn't think we wanted, if that makes sense. The good thing about buying used, we could sell and get most of our purchase money back. Current prices for our coach are what we paid for it. That's a good feeling.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45 ft., tag axle, ISM500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:43 PM   #88

Have never bought a new RV or travel trailer. Let someone else pay depreciation.
Too, the kinks are already ironed out. Don't feel like I've missed out.
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #89

For What It’s Worth

I’ve been RVing for 18 years. Seven years full time. Three class A’s. One new two used. Two 44’ and one 34’. IMHO, in retrospect, used is the way to go. It doesn’t matter if we’re talking about Prevost, Newell, or a VW camper van. Unless you have money to burn and simply don’t want used. However, there are a lot of other things to consider. If I were to start over, I’d find the best floor plan for your needs and intentions. Go to the big national shows like in Hershey PA. Do some seminars while you’re there. Once you’ve decided on a floor plan, then and only then find the manufacturer you like best. Do your research. Then buy the best used one of that builder and floor plan you can find that fits your budget. There is a ton of information available on every aspect of RVing. The more you know the better you’ll do. Do not get in a hurry. Hold out for what you want. Do not compromise. The unit you want is out there. Believe it. Check out the data that RV.ORG has collected. Tens of thousands of owner surveys on nearly all imaginable makes and models and floor plans etc. As to floirplsns and the intimate details therein. Do not buy unless you try it on in person first. For instance, can you sit on the commode without a shoehorn? Can you turn around (and stand erect) in the shower? If there are two side by side bathroom sinks, can you use them without you elbows banging against the wall? Does all the furniture sit well? Does everything mechanical and electrical work correctly? Is there leg room in the driver’s seat when the front slide on the driver’s side is in? Amazing what a difference that small details make. It goes on and on. Enough from me. Good luck. It is a wonderful lifestyle.
oneowner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckie View Post
Retiring soon, looking to buy a DP 40 or above. We will snow bird in the winter months. Want to stay around 180.000.00 price range. Do I buy new or used? I figure if buy new it will be worth something in ten years verses buy used and ten years it will be worth much. Only want to do this once all advise is appreciated.
Didn’t read all, here’s my take.

$180K is the bottom end of the new DP market. It won’t be worth squat in 10 years.

If you’re willing to look at 8-12 year old coaches you can buy something that originally sold for $500-750K or more.

Take a look at both and see what you think.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #91

I have a 2006 winnebago I'm selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckie View Post
Retiring soon, looking to buy a DP 40 or above. We will snow bird in the winter months. Want to stay around 180.000.00 price range. Do I buy new or used? I figure if buy new it will be worth something in ten years verses buy used and ten years it will be worth much. Only want to do this once all advise is appreciated.
I have a 2006 winnebago tour very clean it has a 350 cat engine it is pre-emissions with only 52,000 on it it's loaded 4 slides it's 40" I can send pictures and more info if your interested my e-mail jimsebek@gmail.co my cell# 724-322-3247 jim sebek
jim n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #92

Damon Owners Club
I have a 2012 Itasca meridian 40 ft,4 slides send an email I will send pics 380hp,residential fridge,corian counter tops,Kallard@twcny.rr.com.Within your price.It has 23000 miles on it.
P&K812 is offline   Reply With Quote