Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: If you purchased your coach new, are you
Happy with your decision to purchase new. 77 81.05%
Thinking, in hindsight, that you should have purchased used. 18 18.95%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #1

New or Used - The question that hasn't been asked.

Every so often (ok, like every 2 weeks) we see threads debating new vs used, resale value, quality of coaches currently, etc. We have one of those currently, but rather than hijack it, I thought I would start this one.

It seems to me that there is a large number of people who jump in to talk about why buying a new coach is a horrible financial decision (likely is), that new coaches aren't reliable or well built, etc. It also seems that much of that opinion seems to come from people who have purchased used coaches. What I don't seem to see, however, are people that bought new coaches jumping into those conversations and offering the opinion that they wished they had purchased a used coach. Seems that there should be an abundance of those if buying new is so fraught with downsides. I am curious about that, hence the poll.

As for us, we bought a new Ventana LE in '16, and yes it has had a decent amount of maintenance issues over the past 3 years getting things straightened out, and yes its depreciating rapidly, and yes I am satisfied with our decision to buy new.

Have you bought a new coach? Do you wish you had gone used? What say you?
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
Every so often (ok, like every 2 weeks) we see threads debating new vs used, resale value, quality of coaches currently, etc. We have one of those currently, but rather than hijack it, I thought I would start this one.

It seems to me that there is a large number of people who jump in to talk about why buying a new coach is a horrible financial decision (likely is), that new coaches aren't reliable or well built, etc. It also seems that much of that opinion seems to come from people who have purchased used coaches. What I don't seem to see, however, are people that bought new coaches jumping into those conversations and offering the opinion that they wished they had purchased a used coach. Seems that there should be an abundance of those if buying new is so fraught with downsides. I am curious about that, hence the poll.

As for us, we bought a new Ventana LE in '16, and yes it has had a decent amount of maintenance issues over the past 3 years getting things straightened out, and yes its depreciating rapidly, and yes I am satisfied with our decision to buy new.

Have you bought a new coach? Do you wish you had gone used? What say you?
I have seen a some postings, with saying just that and after suffering the initial depreciation and with so many trips back to the dealership, but that's not the question I have.
Mine is, with the question itself and one that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Unless of course, they and yourself are asking if one should make this choice per their budget and regardless of the product's quality level.
Then there are those, where money isn't an object, so if their taste happens to be with a Prevost, then they still have the choice of buying used or new, without any real damage being done, to their net worth.
We us, newness, isn't even in the realm of a possibility, after all of our must haves are met and not even with the age of a used one, if we could have all that we wanted.
We bought our last one at 9yrs old, but would have bought even older with more quality, if there were 3 slide models and 1 1/2 baths available, that would fit our budget.
So, maybe the question should be......, with a preference of quality or newness for a given budget and since most of us can't afford to be spending untold amounts of money for any purchase and let alone for a big boy's toy, that's a depreciating asset.
For what we paid for ours, another $30K, would have bought us a new and smaller, entry level gasser. Well, no way that was going to happen, money wise and with differences that have no comparison. Not only that, but after 2 1/2 yrs +, the thing would now be worth less than what we own now.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #3

In my humble opinion its all about the money. If I could afford new and money was no object I would have a new MH. Unfortunately I am not blessed with a couple of hundred thousand dollars that I can put into a lifestyle decision.

I was able to buy an older coach at a fraction of the price and it gives me everything I was looking for on a budget and I get to enjoy the lifestyle on my budget.

I think we will all agree new depreciates faster and if you can afford that, good for you. I am jealous.

As for the time new coaches are in the repair shop versus old coaches being repaired.

I see no difference.

My older coach needs continually attention. Things get old, wear out and just break. So the time new coaches spend in the shop getting warranty work is not a whole lot of different than the time I spend keeping my coach in good repair and up to date, just part of the lifestyle.

Old or New its all about the freedom and enjoyment our coaches bring us.

I am still new but having the time of my life in my older coach, but if I ever win the lottery it will be in my NEW Coach.
widmerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #4

Please discount my in hind sight vote in your tallying, I read the question wrong.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #5

There is no correct answer for any and all persons.
Some people are followers
Some are leaders.
Right or wrong is incidental.
A few appear to need the masses
Confirm their decisions.
Most could xare less what others think.
Its 100 percent personal choise, personal preference.
Yes
Advise is appreciated [emoji847]
But its still 100 percent personal choise, personal responsibility.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Mine is, with the question itself and one that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Unless of course, they and yourself are asking if one should make this choice per their budget and regardless of the product's quality level.

Actually I think the question was pretty simple. I am wondering how many people have bought a new coach and then afterwards thought or wished that they had bought a used one instead.

The reason is specifically to normalize the data to those that actually were able to make the choice between new or used given their requirements. If used were quantifiably better due to things such as depreciation, quality, and reliability, I would think we would see that in opinions on the back side of new purchases across the fleet.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

My first one was used and a great MH, then my second bought new was a pos. My third which I have now bought new and has been great. I still like buying new, if people only bought used stuff everyone would be broke!
Old 03-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #8

I like new. We ordered our '08 Dynasty in January of '07 taking delivery in April '07. We drove that coach just under 70K miles in 7.5 yrs. We sold the coach on consignment in Texas and sold it for 49% of what we paid (not including the 8% fee).

When it was time to change, I wanted new again and ordered a '15 in March of '14. It took 7 months to build the coach which was completed in October, we took delivery in November '14.
Right now, I think we could get 75% of what we paid (not counting any fees) at 4.5 yrs. of ownership.

Buy and drive what you feel comfortable with that fits in your budget.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #9

I think budget is the final factor for most people. Not many can afford $400,000 for an rv, that will be worth $250,000 in four or five years. That's 30 or 40 thousand a year in just depreciation. On the other hand, you can buy a decent used one for $100,000, keep it for four or five years, and sell it for 65 or 70 thousand. That lowers the annual cost to six or seven thousand a year. I think it totally depends on how much money one has. If I had hundreds of thousands of disposable dollars, I would buy new. I do not, so used it is. I buy new trucks and equipment for my contracting business, but the business pays for those.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #10

Our first two coaches were used and the last six have been new. I wasn't concerned about the depreciation with the new. They all had their good features and except for a '96 Discovery that was delaminating after 18 months none of them had major issues. The best one is the '13 Allegro Bus we have now. Very few minor issues in the first year that the dealer took care of. Now, it's just annual chassis and coach service. Just add fuel, water and food. I don't know what it's worth today and could care less. It's a joy to travel in and so glad we bought new over the years.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #11

I bought my first coach used with low mileage and in good condition . When we purchase our next it will be new. I don’t care about depreciation as I tend to keep vehicles. We plan to keep our present gas coach for a couple more years and then upgrade to a diesel. The real test will be if we go with a 35 foot coach or a 40. The 35 foot coach is basically our 32 foot gas coach with a washer dryer. There is nothing wrong with either decision.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #12

I wish you well in your quest for knowledge, but I'm doubtful you'll get clear feedback on the webz. Only took until post #2 before you hear that you asked the wrong question...

If you think about it, the average car or motorcoach has several owners in it's lifetime. Only one of those bought new. So the voices of the used buyers are going to be more often heard.

You did an admirable job stating your poll question clearly, but it's always cat herding on the 'net.

It's just economics in action, the prices of new and used rise and fall in proportion to their desirability. If you took economics out of the equation and all RV'S cost the same, then what would people choose? Maybe I'll take a poll on that.

Almost forgot to state my bias. Our first RV was used. The following three new, as will be the next one I expect. We're probably keeping at least a dozen future owners supplied with inventory.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
I wish you well in your quest for knowledge, but I'm doubtful you'll get clear feedback on the webz. Only took until post #2 before you hear that you asked the wrong question...

If you think about it, the average car or motorcoach has several owners in it's lifetime. Only one of those bought new. So the voices of the used buyers are going to be more often heard.

You did an admirable job stating your poll question clearly, but it's always cat herding on the 'net.

It's just economics in action, the prices of new and used rise and fall in proportion to their desirability. If you took economics out of the equation and all RV'S cost the same, then what would people choose? Maybe I'll take a poll on that.

Almost forgot to state my bias. Our first RV was used. The following three new, as will be the next one I expect. We're probably keeping at least a dozen future owners supplied with inventory.

LOL. There will be some noise for sure. But I think there could be some interesting information gleamed if the poll is answered by people who have bought new coaches and answer the question honestly.

J
Old 03-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #14

I bought used but new is still King.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote