Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
New Owner / Transmission Problems..?

New Owner here, paid for the coach last week.

It's a 1997 Tropi-Cal 235, with the V8 454 HP engine and 4L80E transmission.

During the test drive everything was fine. However the test drive was back country roads and I didn't know enough being new at this that getting out on the higway mattered.

What I'm seeing is that the RV shifts perfectly into first and second gear, hitting about 45mph, but then doesn't go into 3rd or overdrive.

I've searched the internet this weekend and have multiple possible suggestions so figured best possible answer was to ask other coach owners.

First to second is very smooth, no slipping, no noises, no problems.

Any suggestions / comments / thoughts would be greatly apprecaited.

This is my first RV. If it were a yacht or an airplane, I'd be in my element, this is a whole new beast to me...

Also, any thoughts on the Tropi-Cal 235 as a first RV out of the box?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your 4L80E is a standard GM light truck trans. It is completely computerized, and shifted by electronic solenoids.
At least check the linkage adjustment. Doubtful... but if the linkage never goes higher than second, niether will the trans.
Any lights on, check engine light or anything?

You need to check for codes, and go from there.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
There are no lights on the dashboard, no check engine light, no obvious indications.

I've been told it could be a $14 shift solinoid or as complicated as a $2,700 clutch job..

Not how I wanted to start off owning a coach..
Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMark View Post
There are no lights on the dashboard, no check engine light, no obvious indications.

I've been told it could be a $14 shift solinoid or as complicated as a $2,700 clutch job..

Not how I wanted to start off owning a coach..
I'd start with replacing the solenoids.
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Before you go replacing parts have it checked out by a tech.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
All transmission fluid use to have whale oil as the main lubricant. When the government stopped allowing whale oil, they hurriedly came up with replacements that just weren't as good. Finally a co. has come out with a product that works as good as the whale oil. It is called Lubegard. It is avaiable at NAPA, Advance, O'rielly and most other part's houses. Aamco buy's this stuff by the case. It lubes the valve's and keeps them from sticking. Lubegard worked for our shop about 90% of the time. One last note stay away from Aamco!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #7

If as said above this is a std GM transmission with computerized controls, The suggestion to have it checked by a tech with the proper dianogistic equipment and training might save you a whole lot of cut and try, and no that didn't do it, what next. Not to mention cost of parts not needed and time to test.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club

Finally got a good recommendation for a shop in the town where the RV is stored (Stuart, Florida)

Had it moved there last night and the shop hooked it up to the computer this morning.

Two fault codes (P0753 & P0758) which come back to the solenoids.

Shop also said that there was some metal particles in the pan and that the fluid was brown.

Option one was a $370 repair where both solenoids are replaced, the unit is totally flushed, new filter, new fluid, new gasket.

Option two was a $350 to drop the transmission and then $1,600 - $2,300 to tear it apart, replace any broken parts and put it back together with a warranty..

The previous owners had stated that they had a transmission service a few months ago, but not sure I belive them as they have not been overly straight forward about a bunch of things.

My GUT feeling is that by taking the first option, I should be good to go. Plan is to put a few hundred miles on it and then drop the transmission pan again.. Check color of fluid and look for any metal particles.

As I guess that the 4L80E is very common, I found rebuilt ones with 36,000 mile warranties in the $1,200 range. (before labor of course). So that seems to be my next course of action if necessary.

Am I on the right path and being logical or should I have it torn down now and just get it done??
Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
A little metal shavings is normal ware but brown fluid means it's burned from over heating. Tough decision which way to go, I can understand not wanting to spend the money now but what if it decides to puke in the middle of nowhere ? If it has been over heated what other damage has been done (ie) clutches, bearings and such ?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #10

And that 1200 is for a stock rebuilt trans. Your MH will need stronger clutches and springs or you'll be right where you are now pretty quickly.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #11

The GM 4L80E is a very durable transmission, most likely you have an electric problem. However the t/converter will cause these issues (burnt fluid) if it's slipping, I would change the solenoids and go from there. Good luck. Just so you know GM has continually made up dates on these transmissions, the $1200.00 units may or may not have them. alot of small shops don't have access to this information. There are also alot of things you can do at rebuild time to make the trans much more durable, and for piece of mind add a trans temp guage
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I would also start with the new solenoids (which for sure will fix your no 3rd and 4th gear problem) and new fluid, and run her a bit keeping a sharp eye.

I'd also look at the trans cooler. I'd think you would have a big oil to air cooler, if all that's there is the cooler in the radiator tank, retrofit a good big aftermarket trans cooler.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #13

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not highjacking the thread- I have to ask as Im learning from your posts on this tranny. I have same motor and trans but no known issues(knock on wood) was considering having system flushed and fluid replaced with full synthetic fluid. Recommended by service center in Colo Springs. Should I or is switching to synthetic just more money for a 94 with 65K on her? Thanks
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't, unless it was due for a change anyway. Even then, I'd stick with dyno oil. the cost difference just isn't worth it considering the change interval.

I use synthetic in my pickup, and change oil every 15k, insteads of 3500 miles.

With a 50k recommended change time on the trans, what am I gaining by spending 4 times as much for synthetic oil? I can't stretch the change to 150k, and even if did, I wouldn't own it then.

btw Ron, I have some adco tire covers left over from my pace arrow, 19.5" ford chassis, want em? send me a pm, $60 plus shipping.