Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New Owner-Used Class A...Maintenance Issues

Ok....we have bought a 2000 HR 36 ft V10 powered unit

1st question..it was serviced at the dealer and inspection passed without a problem.

Should I change all the hoses and belts before next spring?

Shocks...how do I tell if I need new ones..I have not really drove something this large before...

Tires are Michelin and have only 4000 miles on them..they look ok...I am thinking about a TPS dash system to keep eyes on pressure and temp..

Cosmetic wise its almost perfect...exhaust is rather new...new one on the generator also..

Got under the hood and looked all over for leaks..

It has 49,000 miles...what about the V10 spark plug issues.

I am a HVAC service manager so I think about PM stuff all the time..

Any help would be appreciated..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 021.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	29446  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Of all the things you listed, the one I would be most concerned about is the age of the tires. The visual condition of the tires is pretty much irrelevant. Take a look at the DOT date codes on the sidewalls; the numbers are the "week of the year" and the last two digits of the year. With a 2000 MH there is a possibility that the previous owner might never have changed the tires. If that is the case and they date from 99 or 00 I would definitely replace them before going anywhere. The Michelin website states that tires >7 years old should be professionally inspected (inside and out) and pretty much says that all tires should be replaced by ~10 years.

The rest of the maintenance items you list fall into the "how much inconvenience are you willing to accept if something fails" category. IMHO tires fall into the "gambling with your life" category!

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #3

I will check the tires today as we are going this morning to put the privacy shades back on after cleaning..where on the tire is the code?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire date codes are on the sidewall of the tire. Look for the DOT then next to it may be some letters but the date code would be either three (3) or four (4) numbers. An example "1206" would mean the tire was made the 12th week of 2006. Another example "499" would mean the tire was made the 49th week of 1999. Any single digit represents after the week digit would be a tire made prior to 2000. Hope this helps.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #5

The DOT code will be only on one side of the tires. Depoending on how the coach was stored, I would be replacing the tires first thing. As to the hoses, inspect them and go from there. I would be willing to replace the hard to get one at home base. As far as the spark plugs go, if the coach is running good I would not mess with them. On one Class 'C' that we had, I was going to change out the plugs as I thought the eingine was running poorly, and was advised from Ford not to change them until the engine has at least 100k on it. Did not change those as we upgraded to our DP.
Good luck with your 'new' toy and be safe!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
? did the dealer actually change oil and lube your MH? Do a forum jump to Ford Chassis for suggestions.
Hoses and belts, if you do it yourself its not all that expensive for the peace of mind, also change the coolant.
Tires: fully agree with earlier post, go by date, not miles for most of us.
Shocks: again read commits under Ford Chassis forum.
Donnt forget to have fun
Old 11-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #7

The RV dealer changed all fluids and filters..here in PA it went thru a State Inspection...Generator was also serviced...They provided records that the tires were replaced in 2011 early...this is a one owner MH...But I still will check the tire codes today and post..

Job I work for we have a fleet mechanic who takes care of our 120 truck fleet...some of my guys drive large service trucks..so I am having him do the radiator hoses, serpentine belt and any other ones i can see...rather spend money here than sit along the highway...save road side assistance and spend it here..
Old 11-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

Tires...

Checked the date code and they are 2906...so this would be a 29th week of 2006...they look very good...a few curb scuffs on the outside on the one passenger rear but thats about it...

First trip will be 700 miles in April...with the TPS installed and tire temps being watched do you all think I would be ok for some time?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
Checked the date code and they are 2906...so this would be a 29th week of 2006...they look very good...a few curb scuffs on the outside on the one passenger rear but thats about it...

First trip will be 700 miles in April...with the TPS installed and tire temps being watched do you all think I would be ok for some time?
Michelin for some reason has a ten year policy BUT I would keep a close eye on any sidewall cracking/checking. Their known for this and it starts at about the six year level. I know mine before changing were just short of eight years old before we decided to replace them. Keep your tires inflated properly and constatly check them. I'm not a fan of any TPS system. JMHO

By the way that's a great loking coach.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #10

Date code and what seller told you don't match ! Might want to have a talk w/seller I would
rehtaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #11

Well it seems the previous owner must have used it much more when he got it then in the past few years..when you look at a date code how long do tires sit on the shelf befor they are installed...

I ask about the TPS system as my Camaro has it and my work Ford Pickup...are they not a good indication to keep an eye on air pressure with the inside rear tires...

I have read most of the difference in Truck vs RV tires is that the side walls are made to last longer...with as much as they sit I imagine sun can break them down?

Also plan to use nitrogen in all my tires...I have an endless supply of Nitrogen tanks with my work...less moisture so my pressures should stabilize
Old 11-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #12

Rehaft...I agree...not sure now..but as I said they look good climbed around the rear insides to check condition...They all were pulled off for the state inspection.....they replaced the inside flex lines for air to the outside tire..they found them leaking..
Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Michelin for some reason has a ten year policy BUT I would keep a close eye on any sidewall cracking/checking. Their known for this and it starts at about the six year level. I know mine before changing were just short of eight years old before we decided to replace them. Keep your tires inflated properly and constatly check them. I'm not a fan of any TPS system. JMHO

By the way that's a great loking coach.
Steve

Thanks for your help...and thank you for the compliment about the MH...wife wanted something with netural colors..
Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
By the way does this mean the coach has only 4000 miles on it in the last 6 years?