Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 12:14 PM   #197

I did not want to use silicone. I use Geocel 28128 RV Trailer Camper Sealants Proflex. I have had better luck with it adhering and lasting.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycham View Post
I did not want to use silicone. I use Geocel 28128 RV Trailer Camper Sealants Proflex. I have had better luck with it adhering and lasting.

Man I've had terrible luck with Proflex. So has my friend. My local dealer's techs have stopped using it and are using another product (I can't remember what it's called). According to the parts counter person, the techs called in it "No Flex". They experienced the same as me....hardening of the compound that would then lead to separating from the surface it was applied to. This after only a few months. I've also used Chemtron which is amazing stuff

Sorry...off-topic.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #199

Country Coach Owners Club
Tycham, in your PDF you commented on different approaches to removing old graphics. " I
discovered a better tool and removed the rest of the stripes in less than a morning of work. "

I'm all for finding better ways to do the job! Tell us, what was the new, improved, tool and process?

Thanks for taking on the job of sharing your experience.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #200

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Tycham, in your PDF you commented on different approaches to removing old graphics.
Let me say, WOW, What a good looking paint job.... :-)

When I painted my Southwind a couple years ago, I tried many different methods, but ultimately came down to three that worked best for me, depending on the condition of the graphic.

Heat and pull, chemical remover, eraser. I did a write up on the process on my web site, along with a lot of photos.

New paint for the ole Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

Old 06-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #201

I tried using a heat gun, the small eraser wheels, chemicals, etc. This worked very fast and was cheaper that the multiple erasers I had bought. By the way, if you are going to paint, areas over fiberglass have to be specially treated. The glue is absorbed and will shadow through the paint. The best solution is to rough sand, coat with resin and sand again. The resin binds and goes into the pores where paint does not

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #202

Getting there

As far as getting to his shop, go down from the border. When you get into town the first light has an autozone on the right. At the next light, turn right. You will have several stop signs and then two lights. Turn left at the second light, after the railroad tracks. You will come to a stop sign. The Hotel Palma d'Or is on the far right corner. The next stop sign turn right. His shop is the next corner on the right. He is usually there in the afternoons and evenings
Old 07-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
... I did a write up on the process on my website, along with a lot of photos.

New paint for the ole Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S
Holy Smokes! That is an amazing write up and tremendous job of painting! Man...I had hopes when I started reading it that I might be able to pull off doing something like this. Not only could I NOT do this, I'm exhausted just reading about it! THAT'S A LOT OF WORK! And not just that, a lot of skill too!

Wow...kudos to you, that is a great job and a great job writing it all up along with the photos.

Another fantastic post Waiter21!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycham View Post
Getting there

As far as getting to his shop, go down from the border. When you get into town the first light has an autozone on the right. At the next light, turn right. You will have several stop signs and then two lights. Turn left at the second light, after the railroad tracks. You will come to a stop sign. The Hotel Palma d'Or is on the far right corner. The next stop sign turn right. His shop is the next corner on the right. He is usually there in the afternoons and evenings
GREAT directions! I had no problem getting to his shop!
Old 07-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #205

Hi Mitch,

Don't forget to post photos. For anyone going down, the gang still needs a better compressor, a hose and a couple of 6 foot ladders.Send me a PM and I will go into detail. You can use it to barter or they will just pay cash
Old 07-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #206

I will be taking pictures. I've taken all the before one where damage is showed with the 3m front bra as well as the bay doors and rear bumper. We had to leave it on June 13 due to the camping ground wanting 10% paid to them for having work done. I said nope, we will drop the unit off when we are done camping. Saying that we were supposed to pick up the unit on 15 July 19 but got a call that it was going to take a bit longer due to amount of body work needed and the crazing on one whole side. For those who don't know what crazing is, its when the paint starts cracking under the clearcoat. It needs to be sanded down to the fiberglass. So we have a new pick up date on the 22 / 28 depending on when I can get some time off from work.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #207

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
And not just that, a lot of skill too!
Well, I wouldn't go that far.. Not a lot of skill, but a lot of curiosity as to what it takes to do the job.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #208

I am not sure where the quote about skill came from but Chuy and crew have a lot of knowledge and skill.

As someone that restored BMW motorcycles and Corvettes, skill is very involved in painting prep and painting. I have had to fix may paint jobs that someone had botched.

And it is a LOT of work prepping a motorhome
Old 07-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #209

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I am not sure where the quote about skill came from but Chuy and crew have a lot of knowledge and skill.
The quote was in reference to my paint job. :-) Post #203 and 207. Trimot was implying that I had a lot of painting skill to be able to produce a acceptable quality paint job. :-) My reply was, no, not really.. This was a learning experience for me, AND a much higher appreciation for the skills and experience for folks like Chuy who do this for a living.

By all means, experience and skill should produce a higher quality job, Along with proper equipment and facilities. Thats what you usually pay for when you take it to a professional.

However, if someone , like me, couldn't justify the cost of a professional paint job , as in Chuy and crew, could that someone with zero painting skills tackle this job at a significantly lower cost.

http://www.1999southwind.com/new-pai...ole-southwind/

I didn't want to spend 5-7k on a paint job. Could I produce an acceptable quality job even if I didn't have experience, tools, or facilities. Yes.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #210

Great job Tycham! I am thinking of doing this. Could you be more specific on directions? I have never driven across the border and know nothing of taking a MH there from Georgia.
Closed Thread

Tags
paint