Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New Requirement for RV Loans?

While my wife and I were getting our 07 Holiday Rambler Ambassador serviced at LazyDays in Florida last fall we looked at new motorhomes. While talking with salesman we were told you can no longer qualify for an RV loan if you sell your home with the intent of buying a new coach and fulltiming. They stated it is a new rule and /or law that you must own real property to qualify for the loan. This contradicts what we have heard for years of people selling their "stick built" homes and hitting the road fulltime.
Can anyone shed some light on this situation?
deiseldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Depends totally on the lender. I guess LazyDays can't be bothered finding a lender that will work with full timer customers.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

We just went thru the same thing in June. We were buying a 2013 Winnebago
Journey 40u We are Fulltimers with no house. Use our daughters house address
all our mailing. The dealer trie to get us financing with the lender we already
Hat a loan with, plus a couple of others . We were rejected.
We applied with good SAMs our selves, was approved. Sent the aprovile
To the dealer and purchased the MH. We are now on the road in our new WINNIE.
THANKYOU Good SAMs !
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Check around rates and qualifications vary greatly. We were able to get a much better deal through our credit union than the dealer offered through the lender they use.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I just looked, Bank of America states in RV loan requirements: "No vehicles used as a primary residence." I think that is not the industry standard, but having good credit would be a first step. Shop for a loan before shopping for an RV, and I wouldn't use a dealer connected lender, I prefer to do it myself.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are full timers and Sioux Falls SD.Alternative Resources is our mail forwarding service. The news letter we get every so often listed the name of a bank in Sioux Falls that is happy to provide loans to full timers. According to what I have read the law doesn't actually say that a home address that is not a commercial address is required but a lot of banks have either misread the law or decided on their own that one is required.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are about to sell the stick house and go full time, the best advice is to lock in the RV loan before the house is sold. We financed our first MH that way with Bank of the West with no problems. We then went full time and changed our address with them to a PMB in South Dakota. Again, no problems. Then we traded for a new MH and applied to Bank of the West for financing. They turned us down flat, "no full timers". We had to go through hoops to get the loan. I saw that Good Sam were offering loans specifically for full timers. Out of interest I started the application process and guess what: I found I was completing a Bank of the West application! Go figure.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We attended the Good Sam rally, summer of 2010, with the intent to do some window shopping and research toward our eventual "retirement home" purchase. I had just retired, Peggy wouldn't retire for another couple of years. We'd sold our primary home but still owned what had been a weekend and vacation home at the time. Our intent was to buy after selling the second home.

While at the rally we found out that it would be very hard to get an RV loan if we didn't own a conventional home/property. One loan broker at the event told us he represented 8 banks/loan companies, only one of them would even talk to you if you no longer owned a home and they would charge you at least a full point higher interest. Our window shopping switched to full on research leading to a purchase. At the time paying 100% cash for what we'd want would not have been an option.

We got a great rate, it's locked in for 20 years (done to keep the initial payments manageable while we still owned a home, and before Peggy retired).

Now that we're both retired, and have full access to our retirement accounts, it makes no sense to pay off the loan, our original intent, as we making three times the loan interest on our retirement investments, more when you factor in the tax write off. If/when the investment income slows we can reassess. My guess is that our next motorhome purchase, anticipated to be some time down the road, and probably our last, will be done with cash.

The unanticipated benefit of having made our purchase about a year before we went full time was the opportunity to get the vast majority of the bugs worked out before we lived in it full time.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
It sounds as if you don't own a home credit is insanely tight, forcing you to pay cash, oh well it will be paid off.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Let be the devil's advocate for a moment. Can any of you imagine being a lending institution and financing say a $300k MH for a person with no real property or real address? They make a couple of payments than disappear. How do you locate them and repo the rig? Lot of space on the N American continent one can hide in the open. Thousands of RV parks, state parks, walmarts, truck stops and boonie areas. An older couple, driving a MH or towing a trailer, not breaking any laws seldom draws the attention of law enforcement. I understand their caution
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
It makes sense it is a reality that we non home owners have to deal with
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Let be the devil's advocate for a moment. Can any of you imagine being a lending institution and financing say a $300k MH for a person with no real property or real address? They make a couple of payments than disappear. How do you locate them and repo the rig? Lot of space on the N American continent one can hide in the open. Thousands of RV parks, state parks, walmarts, truck stops and boonie areas. An older couple, driving a MH or towing a trailer, not breaking any laws seldom draws the attention of law enforcement. I understand their caution
Another possibility, so many individuals have walked away from their home mortgages that many lenders feel the same could happen with full timers who's rigs are their homes.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems the banks are finding another way to slit their own wrist once more.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyduck

Another possibility, so many individuals have walked away from their home mortgages that many lenders feel the same could happen with full timers who's rigs are their homes.
It's possible! I seem ti recall some threads in the past that dealt with this - and there was a tie in to some laws that came into effect post Sep 11th attempting to limit or get a handle on folks that were off the grid. Initially there was speculation that a full timer loan could not be made. It seems they may have become more difficult to obtain but not impossible. Lenders can interpret regulations and tailor their practices as they see fit as long as they are within the law and not discriminating. Your relationship with a lending institution will not trump their rules. But a solid track record, high credit score and enough money down can still find you a loan. Essex - GS - credit unions are still open to it. Hopefully the rules and regs don't tighten to the point of no FT lending by anyone. That would just be
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote