Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busabob View Post
Thanks for the replies and advice! I was thinking 2002-2009 is about my range. I've been doing a lot of research on brands, years, options you want and don't want. I'm starting to formulate an "uninformed opinion" and am leaning in this direction.

Monaco
Beaver
Country Coach

From what I've "read" these would be lower quality units

Thor
Damon
Fleetwood
Tiffin

Other brands I welcome input on

Holiday Rambler
Winnebago
Newmar

I don't mean to offend anyone with my newb assessment, just want to make a smart decision.

Thanks!
Given the model years you're talking about - I would inclined to treat models from Monaco and Holiday Rambler as interchangeable (similar to many models in the Chevy vs Pontiac lineup .... lots of "sister" products.) Back in those days - the floor plans, trim options, etc. - were virtually identical between the "sister" products, often with the only difference being the name plates. For example....

Monaco Knight = Holiday Rambler Ambassador
Monaco Diplomat = Holiday Rambler Endeavor

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #30

Busabob, sent you a PM

Old 04-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post

Better coaches:
American
Entegra
Tiffin
Newmar
Winnebago

Not so good:
Thor
Fleetwood
and most of the ones that are out of business although this is highly dependent on the previous owner/use

(this is just my opinion and are in no particular order)

Also, if you are serious about a motorcycle lift, you really need to be looking at tag axle coaches. Most single axle coaches are near or at their weight limits when loaded for normal travel. Most of these are models are 42-45 feet long and are at the upper end of manufacturer's price lists.
Isn't American a Fleetwood prodict? I have looked at a few Tiffin and Winnebago coaches in my price range and I would put those in the not so good area

I would think if a tag is needed migh also depend on the motorcycle. My yz450f or Buell 1125 cr I would be surprised if a tag was needed to haul either of those.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #32

New Retired Solo Full Timer Researching Diesel Pushers

It's interesting what some have said about the difference in the ride characteristics of a tag axle (no bobbing, swaying). I guess I never thought I would need tag axles to put a bike lift on that holds a 500lb bike. I've seen them on more single rear axle coaches than tag axle? Guess I better do some homework before I "assume" a single can handle one.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:37 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob.... Good luck with the search. Some general advice:

--for fulltiming, buy something with robust, high quality construction. It will stand up to everyday usage. Many RVs are designed to be used for camping only 6-8 times per year.

--buy something bigger than you think you'll need. "Too big" only lasts a few weeks; "too small" lasts forever.

--there is very little difference in the maneuverability of a 34 ft vs a 40 ft.

--highway handling is important for safety. You want long wheelbase, and high wheelbase to length ratio. Learn about these things. Do your homework.

--re above, suggest you check out the RV Consumer Group, www.rv.org We found their info and analysis to be relevant and accurate. A valuable tool in your search. Worth the subscription.

--I'm partial to Newmar for a broad range of reasons. We did about 8 months of online research and dealer lot visits, and decided to target 7-12 y/o Dutch Stars. That's all we ever seriously shopped for.

--Freightliner chassis. Solid, reliable, and everywhere. They hold a huge market share of the MH market, have hundreds of franchise shops all over the country, 24 hour hotline.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:45 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
It's interesting what some have said about the difference in the ride characteristics of a tag axle (no bobbing, swaying). I guess I never thought I would need tag axles to put a bike lift on that holds a 500lb bike. I've seen them on more single rear axle coaches than tag axle? Guess I better do some homework before I "assume" a single can handle one.

Remember, that 500 Lb bike will be on a mount about 10 ft or so behind the rear axle. That's 5000 ft/Lb or more at the end of that arm. And with some bumps or wavy roads it could be subject to a couple of Gs. If that weight isn't properly distributed it certainly could affect the handling.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #35

New Retired Solo Full Timer Researching Diesel Pushers

Quote:

Bob,

Think of your motorhome as a fulcrum. You put the weight in the center, piece of cake. Hang it off the rear end 3 feet and it starts to look like a teeter totter with the fat guy on the wrong end ...... if you have the wrong coach this could be a problem.

Edit: noticed that JFXG said the same thing with a little more eloquence.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:15 AM   #36

Already getting tons of great advice, thank you everyone.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:31 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bob,

To add a couple of points that haven't been addressed: will you be a 500-1000 mile a year Full Timer or change scenery often and drive thousands of miles per year? If you plan to stay in one area for long periods of time and only drive short distances, the engine selected and other chassis options become less important. For the Full Timer that's regularly on the road, tag axles, big generators, relatively high hp diesel engines aren't an option; they're a necessity when multiple "toys" including bikes, toads and/or trailers are included in the travel plans.

In general all diesel pushers use the same mfgs for the basic chassis/drivetrain "stuff". Things like brake components, air suspension parts, transmissions, rear ends, wheels, tires, and more are generic and not specific to MH brand. Engine parts & service items are specific to the brand of engine; ie, Cummins, Cat, and Detroit regardless of the MH brand they are installed in. The same goes for many of the amenities on the "house" side of the coach. Generators, fixtures, inverters, a/c & heating system, etc. are generally supplied by the same vendor dependent on the vintage and price point of the MH in question. The point is, regardless of age or if a particular mfg is still in business under the original ownership, parts are available.

Perhaps the most important item that comes through in your post is your interest in performance. You purchased 'Busa's, not Katana 600's. You didn't list what car you drive but you did mention 700rwhp. There's a reason you didn't buy a moped or a smart car and I'd be willing to bet that you'll be unhappy if you alter your predisposition to performance when choosing a MH. None of them are "quick, or fast" but I'll bet you'd be very disappointed with anything less than a 400hp diesel MINIMUM IF you're going to be changing locales often or traveling more than a few miles at a time. By simply applying the hp minimum above the number of suitable coaches and mfgs will become much more manageable. You won't find many coaches with 400+ hp that aren't high quality with the best amenities available for the period during which they were manufactured.

You should expect rebuttals to my opinion; for instance "a 300hp Cat will pull the wheels off anything you put behind it" etc. In my experience over the years with everything from gas Class A's to low to mid hp DP's that's not accurate. Lower hp coaches are great for their intended use and serve a vast number of RVer's well. It's those who enjoy larger coaches with more (heavier) amenities that like to take toy(s) along and travel longer distances more frequently that learn more hp makes a huge difference... particularly to those who expect above average performance from any of their vehicles.

Only you know your minimum requirements and plans for Full Timing. Once you have those ironed out the choices will become clearer and you can actively pursue opinions from those that share the same wants, needs, and expectations. Best of luck to you and safe travels.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:46 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In a used rig in that length and price range, I would look for a Country Coach Inspire. If you can find one in your price range, it is probably the most solid well built coach that fits your parameters. There are a few for sale on RVT in the 70k to80 k range.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:52 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ive owned both toy haulers and A's and am heavy into motorcycles. Ive also fulltimed while racing motorcycles. For me, I couldnt full time in a toy hauler. Even with just the two of us there is not enough room. Much better with our A while towing the race trailer or in your case a carrier. Plus my gas toy hauler road like a lumber wagon.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:16 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Hi Bob,

To add a couple of points that haven't been addressed: will you be a 500-1000 mile a year Full Timer or change scenery often and drive thousands of miles per year? If you plan to stay in one area for long periods of time and only drive short distances, the engine selected and other chassis options become less important. For the Full Timer that's regularly on the road, tag axles, big generators, relatively high hp diesel engines aren't an option; they're a necessity when multiple "toys" including bikes, toads and/or trailers are included in the travel plans.

In general all diesel pushers use the same mfgs for the basic chassis/drivetrain "stuff". Things like brake components, air suspension parts, transmissions, rear ends, wheels, tires, and more are generic and not specific to MH brand. Engine parts & service items are specific to the brand of engine; ie, Cummins, Cat, and Detroit regardless of the MH brand they are installed in. The same goes for many of the amenities on the "house" side of the coach. Generators, fixtures, inverters, a/c & heating system, etc. are generally supplied by the same vendor dependent on the vintage and price point of the MH in question. The point is, regardless of age or if a particular mfg is still in business under the original ownership, parts are available.

Perhaps the most important item that comes through in your post is your interest in performance. You purchased 'Busa's, not Katana 600's. You didn't list what car you drive but you did mention 700rwhp. There's a reason you didn't buy a moped or a smart car and I'd be willing to bet that you'll be unhappy if you alter your predisposition to performance when choosing a MH. None of them are "quick, or fast" but I'll bet you'd be very disappointed with anything less than a 400hp diesel MINIMUM IF you're going to be changing locales often or traveling more than a few miles at a time. By simply applying the hp minimum above the number of suitable coaches and mfgs will become much more manageable. You won't find many coaches with 400+ hp that aren't high quality with the best amenities available for the period during which they were manufactured.

You should expect rebuttals to my opinion; for instance "a 300hp Cat will pull the wheels off anything you put behind it" etc. In my experience over the years with everything from gas Class A's to low to mid hp DP's that's not accurate. Lower hp coaches are great for their intended use and serve a vast number of RVer's well. It's those who enjoy larger coaches with more (heavier) amenities that like to take toy(s) along and travel longer distances more frequently that learn more hp makes a huge difference... particularly to those who expect above average performance from any of their vehicles.

Only you know your minimum requirements and plans for Full Timing. Once you have those ironed out the choices will become clearer and you can actively pursue opinions from those that share the same wants, needs, and expectations. Best of luck to you and safe travels.
X2 Couldn't have said it better myself!
By far the best advice you have gotten! JMHO Rail!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:10 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
JFXG said: "Too big" only lasts a few weeks; "too small" lasts forever.

That's just about the best advice ever I was told repeatedly to "buy your third RV first" and it was the best advice I'd ever gotten... for exactly the reasons JFXG pointed out.

You've gotten some other really great advice here already... I'm partial to Newmars myself. I bought one because I'm partial to them; I'm not partial to them because I bought one - that's a subtle but important distinction on some internet forums

One thing I'd like to point out that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that in addition to which coach you might buy, you might also want to start considering what state you'll be domiciling in. As a full-timer you can pretty much pick whichever one you want, but there are definite advantages to states like Texas, Florida and - to a lesser extent - South Dakota. Licensing, registration, vehicle insurance, health insurance, mail-forwarding services, etc. all come into play, and which state you pick can either help you or haunt you. There are other states that might work just as well for you too, depending on your financial situation. Nevada works perfectly well for my unique situation but it wouldn't work at all for many others.

There's tons and tons of info out there on full-time domiciling; you might have to sift through the bull, but it's out there. Read enough of everything you can find on the topic and common threads of truth and fact will become fairly obvious pretty quickly.

This topic might seem a little off point, but it does impact how you buy it and where you register it... and how much all that will cost. For instance, here in Nevada if you buy a vehicle - any vehicle - from a private party, there's no sales tax. That could potentially save you around $6-8,000 or so given your price range... money that might be better spent for your first year on the road or upgrades to your rig.

It's a lot to think about, I know, but the sooner you get your head around the details the better off your full-timing experience will be.

Congratulations, and very best of luck to you!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #42

Quality Coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We've had two Dutch Stars and found their quality to be good, not in the range of the CC we now have though, but neither was the new price!
The Dutch Star is Newmars "bread and butter" unit.
Had we looked in our crystal ball we'd still have the '02 DSDP. After 13 years of ownership (we ordered it) we spent less on maintenance than on the Magna in the first 3 months we owned it and we still need new tires and Smartire sensors.
Comparing a Dutch star to a CC is not fair. Yes the Dutch Star is Newmar's bread and butter coach even at a price new of $ 340.000. I would think the equal coach to a CC from Newmar would be the Essex. CC is a very good coach but they are not in business anymore, but until recently being bought out. I hope they are successful. It is wonderful that your CC has not given you much trouble. Safe travels to,you.

Tags
diesel, full time, full timer