Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #15

You might also look into Super-C models. They are generally on medium duty truck Class 6 chassis, and have plenty of adequate towing and hitch capacity to tow a vehicle and still have a motorcycle lift. Most are diesel engine, length is 34-37 ft range. Certainly used can be found in your price range. They are like a class A with the basement storage boxes, whereas a regular Class C does not have those.

I believe there may have been a couple models with rear garage toy hauler style, but you could easily tow a small enclosed trailer behind to keep the motorcycle out of the weather and for improved safety. A common brand and model you can start your search with is the Jayco Seneca, but there are several others.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #16

Hi BUSABOB, taking a wild guess I'm guessing you're name is actually Bob
I read the thread sofar and shall try to put my two cents in, about all I can do Bob!

A) I realize there's down sides to "going bigger"; less nimble, fewer options higher cost for hooking up, some limitations on where you can go.
B) power and longevity of a diesel, amenities and storage space
C) Would everyone agree that a Class A is typically better built and better suited for full time living??
D) I'd be concerned about putting too much focus on my toys and not enough to where I would have to live and sleep! It's intriguing though.
E) Thor
Damon
Fleetwood
Tiffin
Holiday Rambler
Winnebago
Newmar

I'll start with E !!! just cause my name is Ed..... Don't discount the venerable American Eagle ! Yes We own one and we love it, ours is a 2000 but the are available of all vintages and are great well build reliable coaches that where of the upper classes and build with great workmanship and pride !!! Dovetailed joinery that you can take apart because it was dry press-fit and then you can put it back together with some pressure and it will fit as tight and snug and square as the day it left the factory !
every thing is well thought out and in its place with lots of storage and living space.

That does'n mean the others aren't worth looking at, I loved the Beavers when shopping but found them to overwhelming interior wise, matter of taste! I loved the Monaco's but heard to many confusing stories about this model is OK for this but watch out for that if it is 2000? then It may be OK but the year befo-hind is watch out?????? I got too confused and walk from the whole line....
Hey maybe I got bad Advice.....!!!!
I had been looking for Eagles and given up cause I could not find a nice one in the budget we had (lower then yours) But a friend of mine encouraged me to get back on it and look again, and we got lucky and found a nice one.

A) I was worried about the same thing, and do we really need one that big?
first of all it cost about the same for campsites and hookups, very few campsites charge bi size and hookups are one prize for 15/30/or 50 amp regardless of size and often I don't need more then 15 amp to get by, so that's what I'll take.
Or it is one price!!!
Going places ........ once you get used to driving YOUR rig it will make little difference, sure there is a difference and some places you can not go, In two years of traveling (and yes I knew how to drive these rigs already) I have not found a place yet that I could not get in, It may take a little longer Patience is a good thing to bring along.
B) Great Coach names come with great name Diesels and they come with great power and longevity and reliability like the Cummins line found in so many, Ours is awesome and we were lucky enough to find a low mileage coach (38th Mls.)
We already touched on amenities and storage...... Lots of both!!!!
C) We think Its the only thing suitable for Full time living BUT there are other opinions out there I have to admit, Like Fifth wheels and some TT's, but no other Motorhomes in my opinion.
D) I am solving that Dilemma by adding a trailer to carry my hobbies in including my secondary transportation! I have not fully decided on size because THAT will restrict where you can go with the whole rig somewhat, but at the same time give you more freedom by adding your secondary transportation if chosen right (Porsche, Side by Side, elec. Fat bikes) either way keeping that stuff in the trailer keeps the living in the MoHo !
I can still do my Model building Quads and RC planes in the MoHo on a small scale in winter time.

Anyway that's my two cent's worth and I'm sticking to it !!!

Good Luck Bob and Best Regards,

Ed

RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #17

And I bet he has a busa

I use to know a dynobob

Anyways, I wouldn't call Fleetwood a entry level company with DP's, if I recall they can top out at over a million bucks if I recall. Tiffin also makes great products, I wouldn't discount them either.

Especially if you plan on traveling a bit and/or going through mountains a DP is possibly your best bet. The bike lifts usually can't be used in gas RV's even though some do it.... This would allow you to pull a car as well if you ever decide to do so.

For me I do not need a high end DP, some are just wasn't flashy for me thus leaning towards a 10 yr old discovery to replace a gas Bounder
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #18

New Retired Solo Full Timer Researching Diesel Pushers

Thanks Dutchman and NC25T [emoji106], I appreciate your insight and input.
Busabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busabob View Post
Thanks for the replies and advice! I was thinking 2002-2009 is about my range. I've been doing a lot of research on brands, years, options you want and don't want. I'm starting to formulate an "uninformed opinion" and am leaning in this direction.

Monaco
Beaver
Country Coach

From what I've "read" these would be lower quality units

Thor
Damon
Fleetwood
Tiffin

Other brands I welcome input on

Holiday Rambler
Winnebago
Newmar

I don't mean to offend anyone with my newb assessment, just want to make a smart decision.

Thanks!
I submit that for the price range/model years considered by the OP, buying a used coach will be MUCH more a question of the care the RV received over the years, than any factory reputation.

And, every brand has problems. 'Cuz, it is a house (in a mix of a earthquake and tornado) riding on a BIG truck.

For any used RV's, a VERY complete pre-delivery inspection would be very smart to ensure any rig is actually worth the asking price.

About the lists above...
Brands that are alive and well...made it through the recession and offer product lines from entry level to luxury (in no particular order):
Winnebago
Newmar
Thor Motor Coach
Damon (merged with Thor)
Fleetwood (REV Group RV's)
Tiffin

Brands that went out of business but were acquired by REV Group (so, not the original companies):
Monaco
Beaver (not being resurrected)
Country Coach
Holiday Rambler
See: http://www.revgroup.com/

Best luck to the OP.
Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are going to haul a full size motorcycle on a lift on the back of your rig, you probably need to either look at a DP with a tag axle or take a good look at a "super C" motorhome that is made to haul that kind of weight behind the rear axle. Look at Dynamax, Haulmark or similar..... Not good to overload the rear axle. I would not consider a gas chassis if you are going to haul a motorcycle unless it is a toy hauler.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #21

I'm not full time, but I have owned a C, then a couple of TC's and now have a A. Hands down the A is roomier and has more storage. I ride also and built a hitch hauler to carry my bike or the 400cc scooter. If we ever went full time it would be an Diesel Pusher A with as bike lift and one living room slide.

One more thing, if it's just you you might try and stay at or under 34'...much more maneuverable and fits in almost any campsite.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #22

choosing a coach / Bus

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and advice! I was thinking 2002-2009 is about my range. I've been doing a lot of research on brands, years, options you want and don't want. I'm starting to formulate an "uninformed opinion" and am leaning in this direction.

Monaco
Beaver
Country Coach

From what I've "read" these would be lower quality units

Thor
Damon
Fleetwood
Tiffin

Other brands I welcome input on

Holiday Rambler
Winnebago
Newmar

I don't mean to offend anyone with my newb assessment, just want to make a smart decision.

Thanks!
You don't offend me. I would lean towards a Newmar. I have a 2001 Newmar Dutch Star 38' DP with a 330 Cummins and a turbo. I love this Bus. The retail value of Newmar products is in the high range. Newmar does not cut corners in their production of coaches. I go to the RV Auction on occasion and I notice buyers shy away from Newmar as book value is out of their range. Our coach's retail book value just dropped below 50k and it is a 2001. I'm sorry but I am sold on Newmar. If I had five of the top brand motor homes I would trade them all in for a Newmar. Hope this helps you in your decision to purchase a Motor Home. If you decide not to purchase a Newmar I will still talk to you. K. Culp
Culpkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two Dutch Stars and found their quality to be good, not in the range of the CC we now have though, but neither was the new price!
The Dutch Star is Newmars "bread and butter" unit.
Had we looked in our crystal ball we'd still have the '02 DSDP. After 13 years of ownership (we ordered it) we spent less on maintenance than on the Magna in the first 3 months we owned it and we still need new tires and Smartire sensors.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
And I bet he has a busa

If it goes fast I want it! Haven't had one for 10 years, but I sure had some amazing times on the three I owned. Moved to 700rwhp cars.....

Old 04-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #25

Sounds like the Dutch Stars are popular and there are lots on the market. A friend has a '99 and said he hasn't had much trouble.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Hey everyone.....49 years old, recently retired and thinking seriously about full timing in a Class A diesel pusher. Will take a bike and motorcycle with me (have been checking out motorcycle lifts).

So I'm seeking posts and welcome input on the best used diesel pusher in the $50-$100k range. Thinking 36-38' to keep the GVW down and for ease of operating since it's just me. Have not ruled out a Class C or toy hauler but believe Class A is the direction I'm headed.

Thanks,

Bob
So...re-readng the OP...

Have the BEST of both worlds...a Class A - Toy Hauler.

Can be gas or Diesel and there are several brands in the used market and 3 models new (Canyon Star 3921 and the Outlaw 37MD and 37LS).
See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

The garage is a finished space in the new models, that can easily be turned into a multi-purpose room after rolling the bike(s) out.
Like these Full-Timers show here:
Xtend-A-Room – Toy Hauler Patio | RV Outlawz

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #27

I did read your thread on toy haulers Scarab, very comprehensive. [emoji106]
Old 04-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Floorplan comes first, regardless of the brand. However, in your list of brands, my list would be significantly different than yours. I don't know if you are looking at used or new and it would also change with the years you are looking at.

Better coaches:
American
Entegra
Tiffin
Newmar
Winnebago

Not so good:
Thor
Fleetwood
and most of the ones that are out of business although this is highly dependent on the previous owner/use

(this is just my opinion and are in no particular order)

Also, if you are serious about a motorcycle lift, you really need to be looking at tag axle coaches. Most single axle coaches are near or at their weight limits when loaded for normal travel. Most of these are models are 42-45 feet long and are at the upper end of manufacturer's price lists.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, full time, full timer