Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #15

The way I understand it is if you spend 6 months and 1 day in Ca they want the money. I would return it to Oregon for a while before the 6 months is up and get receipts of some kind. An RV park you may be ok as people do snowbird and such. I would be more worried about storage yards. People get a wild hair when they think they paid their fair share and think your trying to get over, not knowing what your story really is. Like was mentioned earlier the state has a snitch line to try and get people to report you. I wouldn't take the chance, you may win in the end but the getting there is going to be a pain.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 04:35 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
California will wring every dollar from your wallet as is legally possible. I wouldn't take any chances personally. Talk to a California tax lawyer.

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #17

Ok, last question...is this because its a motorized vehicle. Would a trailer or 5er not be subject to the tax?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
There is no employment there, no claim to income for tax purposes, and the vehicle is registered in the state that he legally and physically lives in.

Some very simplistic info is available here on a page for reporting vehicle license cheaters:
https://www.chp.ca.gov/Notify-CHP/Ch...ion-Violators)

To put it simply, "Did you know that vehicle registration fees are due immediately upon accepting employment or establishing residency in the State of California?" The OP is not stating that they will be doing either of those things.
Last time I checked into it for a job I was looking at, CA required you to pay income taxes and change vehicle registrations if you worked in CA for over 30 days. It didn't matter where the pay came from or where your domicile was.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
Ok, last question...is this because its a motorized vehicle. Would a trailer or 5er not be subject to the tax?
It's any vehicle/trailer that requires registration to be used on a Highway. All you are required to do is pay the license fees, not the sales tax if you bought in your home state and paid sales tax there, and do not change name of ownership. The only time you pay the sales tax when you register in Ca is when you make the original purchase, or change names of ownership, which would indicate it was sold to a new buyer. If it is transferred between family members there is no sales tax.

I'm not sure what Oregon charges for vehicle registration fees, but it may not be that much of a difference. We actually pay less per year, with no property taxes added on than a lot of other states, even though it is a little on the high side to me. But either way you will have to pay it somewhere, and if it can be proven that you use it in California, more than any other state each year then you would be required to pay Ca registration.

Re-read the original part of the California Vehicle Code (CVC 4000.4) that I posted earlier pertaining to non-residents using their vehicles in California. Some people have already put their own interpretation on it being more than 6 months and a day, before it is required. That is not the case, for example if you used it in California for 4 months, and then 4 other states for 2 months out of the year, then you would be required to pay Ca registration. I don't really know how anyone could ever prove that. The only hiccup could be if some one who stores their RV at the same facility as you, reported you, then I imagine the State would look into it and you may have to produce documentation.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
[QUOTE=The only hiccup could be if some one who stores their RV at the same facility as you, reported you, then I imagine the State would look into it and you may have to produce documentation.[/QUOTE]

If stored in California, that time is likely not counted for Use Tax liability.

When legally avoiding California Use Tax via out of State Delivery, our storage time theoretically did not qualify as "use". We had to demonstrate that we used the rig out of state.

We did have to prove that there was no California State Entry and out of the State "use" only for the specified time period to achieve tax avoidance. (I have the BOE letter that exempts our rig from Use Tax.)

Note: Out of state delivery avoids California Sales Tax imposed at time of purchase. Use Tax is imposed when an asset is purchased out of State but brought into the state for its primary use.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think this might be fairly simple. The rig will be parked on private property not open to the general public. Park it, remove the plates and put them out of sight. When you come back to use the rig, put the plates back on. As long as this does not violate the rules of the company on whose property you store the vehicle, no one could say boo about it. If the state wants to come inspect your vehicle, they cannot without at least the permission of the property owners to enter. If the vehicle is entirely covered and they lift the cover to find the VIN without a warrant, they may be illegally searching your property (I am not a lawyer but I played a cop for a few years). Once you drive out onto a public road, you are fair game for a little scrutiny. If the storage lot owners have your license plate or VIN numbers written down, they could show that to inspectors without creating 4th Amendment troubles I imagine.

In my opinion you'll be paying enough in fuel taxes while in CA to make any decent bureaucrat satisfied, but I'm not sure that there are any of those in CA state government. At least not in Sac. If you want proof, just see how much they collect in fuel taxes (about $3B in 2014 from state fuel taxes alone, and billions more from Federal allocations also http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/tpp/offices...in_CA_2014.pdf), and see what shape the roads are in around much of the state. If they can find a way to screw you in this deal, they will, or they'll make a way to screw you. Dealing with CA is always risky, so maybe the best advice is to avoid it whenever you can.

So how much risk are you willing to try to protect yourself from and expose yourself to in this endeavor? Seems like a constant game of cat and mouse to me.

I hope you have a little fun regardless.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Last time I checked into it for a job I was looking at, CA required you to pay income taxes and change vehicle registrations if you worked in CA for over 30 days. It didn't matter where the pay came from or where your domicile was.
The 30 only comes into play if you become a resident. The OP is not moving here as he is an OR resident. He comes here 4months out of the year for his employer. He rents a space for his RV while he is here. At the end of his assignment he goes back to OR. CA allows this kind of assignment and does not require you to become a resident.

When it comes to registering the MH, you cannot register it in CA unless you have a CA license and you can't have a CA license unless your a CA resident. So even if he stored the MH in CA he still couldn't register it in CA.

When it comes to sales tax the same rules apply. He purchased it in OR as a OR resident and it's listed under his OR license. cA has no legal right to require him to pay sales tax unless he registers it in CA which he can't do since he's a OR resident.

The only thing that he might have to do is pay income tax while working in CA but that would be his companies responsibly to figure out not his and it's not something we need to worry about in this thread.

If I have time I as a CA resident can call the state and see what they say when it comes to the MH.

OMT, when the MH is in storage or in a RV park the state has no jurisdiction and can't fine you for not having a CA license. They only have control when it on the road or on state or city roads and property.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:12 AM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
The 30 only comes into play if you become a resident. The OP is not moving here as he is an OR resident. He comes here 4months out of the year for his employer. He rents a space for his RV while he is here. At the end of his assignment he goes back to OR. CA allows this kind of assignment and does not require you to become a resident.

When it comes to registering the MH, you cannot register it in CA unless you have a CA license and you can't have a CA license unless your a CA resident. So even if he stored the MH in CA he still couldn't register it in CA.

When it comes to sales tax the same rules apply. He purchased it in OR as a OR resident and it's listed under his OR license. cA has no legal right to require him to pay sales tax unless he registers it in CA which he can't do since he's a OR resident.

The only thing that he might have to do is pay income tax while working in CA but that would be his companies responsibly to figure out not his and it's not something we need to worry about in this thread.

If I have time I as a CA resident can call the state and see what they say when it comes to the MH.

OMT, when the MH is in storage or in a RV park the state has no jurisdiction and can't fine you for not having a CA license. They only have control when it on the road or on state or city roads and property.
Problem was, CA considers (or did) consider you to be a resident if you're in the state, working for over 30 days. Doesn't (or didn't) make a difference if your domicile was in another state. I lived in WA, would be working in CA and, after 30 days I'd be required to register my vehicles there and pay CA taxes. They didn't care at all that my permanent home was in WA and I had no intention of changing my domicile.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Problem was, CA considers (or did) consider you to be a resident if you're in the state, working for over 30 days. Doesn't (or didn't) make a difference if your domicile was in another state. I lived in WA, would be working in CA and, after 30 days I'd be required to register my vehicles there and pay CA taxes. They didn't care at all that my permanent home was in WA and I had no intention of changing my domicile.
That is not true and it never was. You've always been able to work in the state if your continuing to work for your employer and your just on assignment in CA and you continue to have your principle residence in another state that you return to once your assignment is over.

If you were right and your employer sent you to CA for a 5 week build of a new office that you would be forced to give up your home state? No way in hell could they make that stick in court.

Same holds true for snowbirds who say have a home in WA and a home in CA. You have never been require to change licenses every time you come to CA and then again when you go back to your home state. Your home state is the one you say at 181 days out of the year. In that case you may have to split income taxes between the two states.

Just to put this to bed once and for all I'll go ahead and call the state and get the OFFICAL ruling.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #25

Just as a point of clarification, I go to California to visit with Family (Daughter, Son in Law and a darling granddaughter) and avoid Oregon winter rain! I am not there are the request of my employer.
Sounds like I may need to register the vehicle in California but wouldn't have to pay "use tax" (sales tax equivalent). I will make certain I use it in Oregon before taking it to California as it sounds like that may make a difference.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #26

I still say its a nonissue if not working there, https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...bk/ch12/ch12_5
Old 07-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #27

That seems pretty clear and fits my situation pretty well.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:05 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I still say its a nonissue if not working there, https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...bk/ch12/ch12_5
That seems to fit the OP situation to a T.

Tags
california